Spartans Home

ArmA PRO PLAY - TS Structure

NoScream~SPARTA~

THIS IS FOR PRO PLAY ONLY !!!! NOT EVOLUTION OR OTHER SERVER PLAY !!

Ok there's allot to say and never enough thought to say it, this is the idea, but we really have to get

everyone that wants to play PRO onboard with the thought process before we concrete this one in.

TS needs structure, we need to sub divide players into mini teams and use commander mode on TS.

With commander mode we can speak to everyone & also have a different key to PTT (push to talk)

for our own individual mini teams, it does not work with VOX (voice activated, sorry).

Here's a simple diagram before I explain the basic concept.

User posted image

As you can see, the voice comms is divided into 5 channels, they are:

STANDBY or BRIEFING ROOM

COMMAND - this is the lonely channel where one or two persons are delegated as the mission commander, their job is simple, to guide all teams & utilize all teams to succeed in completing the mission objective.

RECON - will be primarily the forward recon team, their job, to feed back to COMMAND on open channel (so all hear it) the forward recon info on the objective.

STRIKEFORCE - All the players forming the primary strike team, carrying AT, snipers and other mission orientated ordinance, they follow orders from command, they can request info from RECON.

SUPPORT - All players that provide support & logistics, Medics, pilots, Tanks, Trucks, FARPS, anything that is Logistics & heavy support.

The problem with using channels named Alpha, Bravo, charlie & delta, is they depict no stimulus to the group, in the forces teams are given call names to make the association more human & also be more easy to recognise on noisy comms. This is where I need your primary help !

HELP

I've used in the picture above some dummy team names, some from 'Generation Kill' others I made up, the point is the call names for teams have to be easy to hear, (this means names starting with a letter like 'c' would follow that all other team names use a different letter) and make some sort of scene. so from my example;

Mother - implies home, base, safety, I think you get the idea, the name starts 'M' so all other team names should avoid words starting with 'M'. Godfather - I borrowed from 'Generation kil' but as it says, it implies head, knowledgeable, protector, it starts 'G' so no other team should be named with a name starting 'G'

I thought we'd have a brainstorming session, no silliness, but we get alot of words for team names following the principles above , remember the role of the team.

We decide on correct protocol in commander mode, local mode does not really matter at this time as only your team mates can hear you, but when you key up for commander mode, everyone can hear.

Protocol you decide

By protocol I mean

how to call a team ?

how to answer request from another team?

how to request for your team?

It sounds difficult & complex but it's easier than ordering a sandwich & coffee at a cafe.

How to call?

Hitman (Recon) to Eagle(support)

Hitman (Recon)

Eagle, hitman requires support at location Gj45....

Eagle (Support)

Hitman, Eagle is currently on support for mother, will be free in 5 mins

Hitman (recon)

Eagal, Hitman copies and awaits your arrival at Gj45.

The protocol is this, you name the team you want to talk to & then you name yourself (with ref to your team name always) Try to avoid using you personal name or TS call sign (eg zeno, Halli etc).

So to recap , TEAM NAMES, IDEAS ?

PROTOCOL ?

STRUCTURE?

Structure is prior to mission we all wait in the briefing room (Standby) this is the channel we all talk about the mission & the roles, we decide who will play commander, who wants too and the commander will then discuss the mission and may ask for opinions on how best to roll the mission forward. Once the briefing is over, all players switch to commander

mode and move to there designated channel .........

comments please... this is rough, I'm working and these are thoughts as they come.....

Here's a typical 9 player team on a mission

IPB Image

One commander (the guy that directs / redirects teams based on intell from Recon & the map).

two recon guys, forward scouts working together

four main strike guys

two support & logistics.

Each team can talk as much as it wants to members within the team

I think this is an excellent idea for the "pro-play".

On the structure:

- It follows the structure that many of us have used during "matches" in the past with GR1, GRAW and Joint Ops.

- This similarity would make it more intuitive for us.

On protocol: (note: this protocol is not as complex as my post looks)

- Each team has a primary comm member to other teams. (any member can do this as needed)

The Team leader coordinates these comm primary changes. (ie. the comm to "eagle 1" would be directly from the guy holding the laser on the target if it is Halli, the team leader would notify the team that Halli has eagle 1)

- Comms within the team are obviously continuous by any who have information or needs.

-I think a forward air controller isnt practical with this few players.

On names... I am sure some of our current Veterans might have some very good ones.

But, it is fun to think some up

for commander: Summit 1, Pinnacle , Overseer, Mountain-top, infinite-gazer

Air support bomber: Thumper1, hammer.

recon: spectre, sillouette

strikeforce: ... none at the moment.

Fire support (artillery) Thumper3, metal-rain, meteor

fire support (armored): Armadillo, Thor, metal-ram

Fuel, repair, ammo support: Mother-hen...

The names are great Zath & more input like that will find all the ones we need, we will vote on the ones

put forward (the best of) and they will be the team names.

Like you said, with fewer & fewer players, then Priority needs to play a role, I did not mention it in

the initial post but we all know there are some roles that needs priority.

commander =1

strike=1

recon=1

support=1

Min team size is 4, and all would work the TS with th commander mode TS only, because the local would only have

you in it... lol.

But as more join then, commander needs no more but strike, recon & support needs extra as per mission.

Like I said 4 is the min & there is no limit to max, all you do is make strike 1 & strike 2 etc as the teams grow larger..

but great input, thx.......

p.s. Support & logistics are all one unit.... AIR LAND & MEDICAL, they subdivide if they get too big, other

wise one pilot is going to get very lonely....

Engineers Sapper (i.e. "Sapper 6")

Numbers are usually assigned to different elements. For instance, the lead officer's number would be "6" and if he's in command of the engineer element, he would be called "Sapper 6"

In a major operation, it's typical for callsigns lik "hammer" to be handed out to the assault force, and "Anvil" to be given to the blocking force. I don't think I've ever seen those callsigns given to any other element though, and of course, it's mission specific.

Net Callsigns are usually personal and funny, like your username. One of my commanders (yes i had many) went by the callsign "salamander 6" on the net. Oh, and they usually only take up 1 or 2 syllables to make it easy on the tongue, or if it's more, it's gotta flow so as to be easy to say over the net.

Engineers Sapper (i.e. "Sapper 6")

Numbers are usually assigned to different elements. For instance, the lead officer's number would be "6" and if he's in command of the engineer element, he would be called "Sapper 6"

In a major operation, it's typical for callsigns lik "hammer" to be handed out to the assault force, and "Anvil" to be given to the blocking force. I don't think I've ever seen those callsigns given to any other element though, and of course, it's mission specific.

Net Callsigns are usually personal and funny, like your username. One of my commanders (yes i had many) went by the callsign "salamander 6" on the net. Oh, and they usually only take up 1 or 2 syllables to make it easy on the tongue, or if it's more, it's gotta flow so as to be easy to say over the net.

All very good points Dave, the problem we might have is we are only few and because of that, I thought it might be better for moral, to lump groups together, foe example the support & logistics players, anyone flying support or providing logistical mission specifics. Same with the the strike team, incorp. the assault and assault related teams like blocks. I thought 4 teams was a good starting point, 3 main & the commander.

The comment on call signs being single/ dual syllables max is not only valid but a great inclusion into the name selection. The other point about name selection ,is because we may be doing this on a reular basis, it would be hard work choosing ne team names each time, so I feel a more generic name be picked that we always use for eg. the ASSAULT TEAM - HAMMER etc........ That way we get use to each team by name because it becomes regular....

But great feedback.. ;)

If you're in another squad during a coop mission, is it possible to mark a map location for them to see, or do you have to give grid coordinates? I'm asking this here because, if there are going to be many seperate teams (like there should) then there needs to be a way to figure out giving accurate locations.

Normally no, but that's on the map, if the teams in game are not split by the game then you can, but mission makers normally group teams, so it won't be possible unless a white board program is used. Never the less, the team speak aspect if it works wil allow teams to make calls & then get decisions from command on the action.

I think a team leader in mission can mark for the whole BLUE or RED FORCE but not individual none leader players (as per mission not comms).

Good reason not to make imaginary squads in missions when mission making.....

I'm working away, but will be back Friday, will look deeper into it.

One thing I recommend, when Im in the Commanders Room and pipe into a channels, I always wait for a response before getting the sitrep or intel. And vice versa. I usually just referred to myself as "Command" so lets say using your set up here, it would be something to this effect:

"Command to Hitman" - then wait. If Hitman's actual or leader is available at the time of the request then its:

"This is Hitman, go ahead Command" then relay that info. This also is applies in reverse.

"Hitman to Command"

"This is Command, go ahead,"....

Reason I mention this is because if you dont allow the target team to respond, you WILL talk over that channels coms which could cause confusion. I might not be explaining this well, but its basically wait for a response before communicating. So lets say Viiiper is in the Command channel. Zeno is running Bravo Team. If Viiiper wants Zeno to do something and calls into his channel, what if Zeno's team is engaged and under fire. Pain to yap and stay alive. So when the call comes into the channel,

Command to Bravo ..., the response would be "Bravo to Command, stand by" until Zeno is no longer engaged enough to respond, even if his men still are under fire. Works both ways. Viiiper is underfire and Zeno calls in Bravo to Command, Viiper just says "Stand by Bravo" until he is capable to respond. We found this helps out tremendously when fireteams are engaged. This way that team can communicate within their channels regarding the engagements without having to worry about additional voice that might overstep a crucial piece of intel that was said.

EDIT: Good point, no need for the example :rolleyes: lol sorry

Edited by Seven

I been thinking (yeah I know thats dangerous) that at the beginning we might just want to use the actual function names until we get used to the coordination and comms needed to make this work.

use the callsigns command, recon, strike, support.

Then each team section can be numbered like Durka's description.

Once we have everyone in sync, we could then have some fun with callsigns etc.

If you're in another squad during a coop mission, is it possible to mark a map location for them to see, or do you have to give grid coordinates? I'm asking this here because, if there are going to be many seperate teams (like there should) then there needs to be a way to figure out giving accurate locations.

Map marks follow the in-game VOIP channel you are tuned to (ie Global, Side, Group (squad), Vehicle). If you are tuned to Global then everyone (both sides in PvP) can see them. If you only want your side/group(squad)/vehicle to see them you can have everyone tune to that channel (default is 'comma' key for VOIP channel tuning)

User posted image

Link