Spartans Home

Broken Steering Wheel

Well, my trusty Saitek R440 has let me down. The right hand paddle shift is broken and only works intermittantly.

I'll try to fix it, but suspect its FUBAR.

I'm after a second hand one on EBay, and will be hoping that SAnta brings me a new G25 for non religious winter holiday, but I suspect it will be a few days before I'm fit to Drive GTR, so may miss Sunday.

On a brighter note, im driving Automatic in GRID and believe it makes me faster :)

Well if your a somewhat skilled person, You might be able to remove the screws in the back and carefully dissamble it to get at the suspect swich thats acting up. Once in there the swich will be a standard one found at most electronic stores. If you know how to solder and find the type of swich you need, it can be replaced and repaired. Note be carfull when first dissassembling it to wacth out for how the levers and lenkage is positioned inside it. Some times they can ba a puzzle to get back in the proper place. I have done this before. Also wacth out for the centering spring. Leave it alone if you don't need to remove it. Of corse determine if it is the swich or the paddle that broke. Most swiches like that probley will be a slide type momentary swich, it just depends on what they put in there when it was made. Get with Cobol or viiiper to find out where to get swiches in the u.k.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Well, I took the thing apart and found that the switch is fine, but the plastic around the pivot for the lever is broken. I got it out and am trying to gue it back together with superglu and some UV fixing resin for extra support.

Got a bid on another R440, let you know how that turns out.

Seen a Saitek R660 for £52 including next day delivery so all is not lost.

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.as...-R660&af=50

Good deal, Sometimes it can be a simple fix that can save you money! epoxie is good there a good 5 min kind at the hobby store. Don't forget to rough up the area with sand paper so the glue/epoxie will stick good.

If it can be fixed why buy anouther one. I allways say. but im a repair type person.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

The stuff Athlon is on about is called Araldite over here it's good stuff it does not shrink and sets like concrete. If superglue doesn't work try it I think hobbycraft sell it they are in the industrial site behind Reading Jail.

I used solar-res, stuff I use for fixing my surfboard. It's a resin with fibre glass in it that cures in about 5 minutes in bright sunlight....perrrrfect.

Still, by the time I'd fixed it, I'd already bid on another R440.....bargin at £25 :)

Been havin issues with the current one before, with it keep dropping out midgame and then the force feedback didn't work till you'd exited the game.

Adder, might have a cheap wheel if yer intersted :)