Spartans Home

A 427 Cobra with artistic flare

Zathrus~SPARTA~

Well.. this car is legendary, however this is the first time I have seen one in pastel colors.

Cobra_zps7qn2eyvz.jpeg

It does appear to be the real thing... although some of the replica cars are hard to tell apart as their quality is excellent and details are followed closely.

I once read a "Car and Driver" magazine review of this car back in the late 1970's. The Shelby Cobra was considered legendary even as they were first built. Nothing matched it during its day in the USA.

The author of the review was amazed by this car. He said it was the only street car he had ever driven that would break the rear end loose if he floored it at over 120 mph.

It hit 126mph on old biased ply tires (they didn't have high performance radials yet) in a 1/4 mile run.

In the competition model, it is a 427 "side oiler" HO engine with a high performance 4 speed manual transmission. The engine is producing 485 HP at the rear wheels.

Later, in a top end run the author said at 130 mph he noticed he had a lot of tach left, he shifted back down to third and punched it, it broke the rear end loose as it accelerated to over 180mph. Top speed in the competition model was about 189 mph.

He said the car just oozed pure HP out of every available performance test.

This car will kill any driver that has not accumulated significant experience in very high horsepower to weight ratio cars.

At 485 HP at the rear wheels and it's curb weight at only 2,355 lb (1,068 kg) with the 427 model the HP per pound is something few ever experience.

I should note Shelby used a widened version of the British MG body for this car.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

Well Halli, you would not want that engine in your Bronco.

I had a buddy with a shortbed F-150 4x4 truck. He dropped a 460 police interceptor in it.

He could snap U-joints and front drive shafts pretty much at will. It was too much HP and way too much low end torque for a 4x4 without putting serious cash in racing grade components into the drive train.

He eventually pulled it out and sold it, replaced it with built 302 which did much better. Still had lots of power, but much less low rpm torque, so it didn't break things near as easily.

Zath, it's not an MG body, it's a widened AC Ace body.

oops... you are absolutely correct. :thumbsup:

In addition...pastel colors on a car like that I must agree are an acquired taste.

Personally, I prefer this car in a dark blue metallic paint job with white racing stripes along the length of the car (hood and trunk)

The cobra is fast, I heard they don't handle well. As with any small car with a hudge engine. Like a S-10 chevy small truck with a small block 350 in it. I don't like fords, had to fix many of them- many reasons why. But thats me. And if you ask ile tell you why. like- Pull the intake manifold off to change a leaking valve cover gasket.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~