Spartans Home

McLaren P1 (Top Gear)

MH6~SPARTA~

The car meets all the safety standard of Europe and the US, however those standards were not designed for 200+ mph cars. At normal speeds I think they will be safer than an ordinary passenger car because (if recall correctly) they have a really strong carbon fiber passenger tub.

The car meets all the safety standard of Europe and the US, however those standards were not designed for 200+ mph cars. At normal speeds I think they will be safer than an ordinary passenger car because (if recall correctly) they have a really strong carbon fiber passenger tub.

True, but who drives at normal speeds in a car like that. :D

Probley as safe as the Veyron or any car at 200mph, Clarkson probley would say= "its like a sledgehammer" and I don't like the shifter handle. What I would find entertaining about that show is if they would throw Clarkson out of a viper doing 200mph. That would be entertainment! And that would be major improvement to the automotive industry!

Nice car!

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Ops, some one came out with a produstion car that's faster then the vayron and or the Mclaren

Hennessey reaches speed of 270.49 mph to beat Bugatti and they like the shifter handle as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-sports-minute/hennessey-reaches-speed-270-49-mph-beat-bugatti-094216999.html?vp=1

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

The Hennessy Venom GT does not qualify as a production car, Minimum is 30 units only 11 have been produced so far. Also it did not do 2 runs in opposite directions. Having said that if they had used the same oval track as the Bugatti SSC they would have gone faster still as the straight is longer and leads into a banked turn and they would have had a fast rolling start.

"Hennessey manufactures the power plants at its facility in Sealy, TexasThe engines are then air freighted to the company's assembly facility near Silverstone, England, where the Venom GT is built and tested. Venom GT buyers will be offered a 1-day driver orientation and instruction program by a Hennessey factory test driver at a track in the UK or USA prior to delivery.

Hennessey plans to establish a network of Venom GT dealers and distributors in the Middle East, Europe, Russia, Australia and Asia. Production is limited to just 10 vehicles per year. The 750 hp Hennessey Venom GT price starts at 600,000 USD while the 1,200 hp version starts at 1,000,000 USD. If you want the car in Europe, the Hennessey Venom GT price goes up by just under 25,000 USD. As of February 28, 2014, 11 Venom GTs have been manufactured. Hennessey have announced that they only intend to build a total of 29 of these cars."

Apparently the speed run is part of the cars validation process, it is already the unofficial fastest accelerating car to 200 mph (14.51 secs), they may run it on the top gear test track (Where the McLaren MP4-12C was developed)

"So what next for the Venom? Hennessey says there are no further v-max runs planned, but that the Venom's next targets are track-based. "We'd like to switch gearing, and look at validating performance numbers on some well-known race circuits around the world."

Including the Top Gear test track? Yes, says Hennessey. "I think we could be the fastest at Dunsfold. We could go into the very low teens [i.e. a lap time somewhere around 1m13s] with Stig in the driving seat. That would be a bigger validation than breaking 270mph...""

Anyway hats off to Hennessy, fantastic car!!!

I don't know how many vayrons are built a year, they probley don't sell very many anyway. only the insane rich buy them, so its a very small market to begin with, you might want to ask the fellas that put up the story on that car about the production quota making it a production car. I only put up the vid on it.

360 Veyrons have been sold.

375 P1's have been pre sold (that is the entire production run)

The production number requirement is set by Guinness, all this is according to Hennessy himself. Let me be clear I really admire Hennessy and his Venom.

Anyway this post is about the P1, which by the way is limited to 217 mph therefore never a contender for fastest production car.

Here is a reasonably detailed interview with McLaren's chief test driver Chris Goodwin by Chris Harris.

The next video is a test drive on the road in Abu Dhabi followed by track time on the awful Yas Marina track*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb8tGX-HPQE&list=UU5rBpVgv83gYPZ593XwQUsA

Jay Leno was one of the first people outside McLaren to drive the P1 (he bought one), here he visits the McLaren "factory" and later drives it with Chris Goodwin at Dunsfold (known to many as the Top Gear test track).

*Yas Marina is a track in Grid 2, in game I find it unpleasant, but the P1 looked awesome on it.

The Porsche answer to the P1 is the 918. Here is Top gear's review, which I find frankly boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_cHky99TNc

Chris Harris did a review which is more useful

IMO these Hybrid cars will lead to our automotive future. I imagine all cars will eventually come with turbo charged petrol engines supplemented by electric motors and a reasonable battery capacity.

I may have to change my name to E_Zeno or I_Zeno.