Spartans Home

My New Tablet: ASUS transformer tf300

Hey guys,

so.. this week i got to spend a few days in New mexico for a project. Other than working and go back to the hotel, it was quite boring. I didn t even had a laptop, better I have one which is the corporate one, not only is a piece of crap but also i have no rights on it = "I have no laptop" :)

I ve never been a laptop fan, I don t use them enough. On the other side i ve been fascinated by tablets recently. i think they are a decent laptop replacement if you don t do anything "heavy" and you are in need for a full laptop.

So, one afternoon, back from office I discovered right behind the corner of my hotel there was Bestbuy !! Hmmm.. you got me bored, you give me Bestbuy at almost walking distance this means I am gonna make some damage !!

So I walked in and started looking on tablets.. there were a few but my attention was immdiately captured by 2 major models:

1 - Samsung new Tab

2 - ASUS Transformer tf300

I have been tossing the 2 up and down literally for good 15 - 20 minutes. Looking at particulars, at specs, at price (of course), at feeling... but buttom line at responsiveness and snappyness.

It was tough, these 2 models are pretty much similar. However the Transformer came out a winner on my table. Once again i think it all comes down at what you wanna do with your new toy.

My objective was to get a travel companion with solid gaming abilities. The transformer won the contest.

The transformer was at 400 bucks with 32GB while the Sammy one was around 460 bucks with the same set up. Sammy tablet felt good but showed many times some choppiness while scrolling home pages or browsing in general. On same testing ASUS was totally fluid and vever slowed down.

ASUS has a Tegra 3 chip and a dedicated store for dedicated games, this is a plus in my list.

ASUS also has an interesting gadget i didn t buy at the moment, but could be an interesting opportunity to get as a Xmas gift: a docking station that makes it a full Laptop station, improving the battery life up to 15 hours. This is actually the only tablet that has this option fully implemented. I can consider this a plus.

So bottom line, I got my new toy and I felt better for the day :) ...

Fascinating, I just came back home and my lovely Kim said "Tahnk you so much for my present!! i love it!! let meplay with that a bit!!"..... You should have seen my face...

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1505/pg1/asus-transformer-pad-tf300-android-tablet-and-keyboard-dock-review-introduction.html

Thx guys, yeah i m using it right now and i have to say i m really satisfied.

I was watching a movie on the flight coming back and paired with my nice bt stereo headset it was a very nice experience.

I caught the guy sitting on my side (using his iPad) staring at it more than once.... :-)

I know my man.. that is the curse of many ppl I know :)

One of the other reasons why I am against Apple policies is the fact that Apple is a CLOSED unique environment.

With Apple, you buy their product, which is ONE only product - you have 1 phone, 1 Pad, 1 pod - and whatever you get with it, Apps or accessories, will be unique to your purchase. Therefore a Customer get sucked in in their own black hole forever.

Android (and Microsoft for PCs) is an OPEN environment. You get all of the Apps you want, but then you are sick and tired of your phone or tablet and you want to upgrade to a new one, choosing among the thousands of offers you can find on the market, then you retain all of your purchases ad you just move them to the new device.

When people says Steve Jobs was a genius, I do agree. He was a genius, creating a business model that is probably the best one ever, for the Owner - not the Customer.

But people Loves Apple, so they Deserve it ;)