Spartans Home

What to do if you PC cannot go to Sleep

I want to share this, because you will not find this info anywhere else. I was extremely lucky a PC Guru on SeverForums shared with me.

My problem was suddenly with no explanation my PC refused to go to sleep.

Running a Powercfg -energy report and checking Powercfg -lastwake report there was a not identified issue with the USB\Root_USB\ which was reclaming power and there was no explanation for what.

This guy on SevenForums explained me that USB Hosts may sometimes get stuck on a wrong power state, preventing your PC from going to sleep.

Here is the solution, make treasure of it:

reset the USB ports to a nominal power state

•  
  • Shut down and turn off the computer.
  • Unplug the computer from the wall or surge protector (then remove the battery if it is a laptop).
  • "Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station, disconnect
    cables to printers or devices such as external monitors, USB memory sticks or SD cards, headset or external speakers, mouse or auxiliary keyboard, turn off WIFI and Bluetooth wireless devices." (Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues HP Pavilion dv5000 Notebook PC series - HP Customer Care (United States - English))
  • Hold down the power button for 30 seconds. This closes the circuit and ensures all
    power from components is drained to clear the software connections between the BIOS
    and hardware and clear any corruption in the temporary memory.
  • (If it is a laptop, plug the battery back into the laptop and then) Plug the computer back into the wall. Do not reconnect any unnecessary peripherals; monitor, keyboard,
    and mouse should suffice and be the only peripherals reconnected.
  • Reboot PC

My issue was immediately solved and now my PC goes to sleep like a baby...

just turn it off and turn it back on when you want to.

The trick to not having long boot times is to not wait for it. Press the power button and go grab a water, when you come back, its loaded on your desktop. One less thing to worry about.

Well, besides having fast boot response, which i don t even care that much because actually with the SSD as OS it boots in about 20 seconds, is to have important tasks working when you don t have to take care of your system.

To me, having the sleep mode working is important because:

1 - it wakes up and runs the Antivir full scan at night, then go back to sleep

2 - it wakes up and runs the automatic backup to the network server at night, then go back to sleep

I was quite anooyed to not being able to run those services.