Spartans Home

SSD Great SALE Now - I need your comment !

Batwing~SPARTA~

Ok US users,

this can be the option to switch to SSD at an affordable price. is not gonna last long and I need your GURU opinion about this.

Kingston SSD 64GB v100 and Kingston SSD 128GB V100

Buy.com sale with huge mail in rebate:

64GB

http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-64gb-ssdnow-v100-series-2-5-sata-ii-internal-solid-state-drive/218194457.html

It s 64 bucks after rebate, free shipping

.. I am thinking 2 of these on RAID 0

or

128GB

http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-128gb-ssdnow-v100-series-2-5-sata-ii-internal-solid-state/218194454.html

It s 128 bucks after rebate, free shipping - no need RAID for this, 1 should be enough.

These are not SATA 3 monsters but are gonna be fast anyway and are sweet at that price.

Here is a 128GB review:

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/kingston-ssdnow-v100-128b-ssd-review/

It looks decent.

Now is up to your comments, what do you think ?

Sata 2 is still fast enough for most things. Sata 2 has a theoretical limit of 375 MegaBytes per second. What makes SSD so nice is there timings not just there huge speeds. I would be happy to see 200+ gig ssd's that are 50 cents a gig and only 200mbps instead of $2 a gig and 500+ mbps.

Kingston is a decent brand, they aren't as big as intel but they do make good products.

Price per gig on that is very nice.

The average game is what 3gigs in ram.... So you can load that in 30 seconds on a good hard drive. 15 seconds on that SSD. Or 10-5 seconds on a Sata 3 drive (and pay out the nose for that speed).....

I would rather wait the 5-10 seconds and save myself the $ difference between sata 3 and 2. In gaming you only spend a small amount of time loading compared to playing. As long as the drive can keep up with the micro requests from the game for files it wont be noticeable in the long run....

Edited by Donziboy2

I would not buy sata 2 neither. Old and slow.

I do understand technology runs fast, but this is a bit of "extreme" comment, isn it ? :)

SATA 2 SSD are still way faster than any other standar HDD out there. I ve never been an SSD fan because of the outrageous price / GB. being able to trade a bit of "super" speed for a sensitive difference in price, still makes a lot of sense to me and a ~ 250 transfer rate is not gonna be exactly obsolete in the next 10 minutes.

About the 64GB choice, I am talking of 2 units in RAID 0 meaning Faster performances on total of 128GB anyway. I was wondering if any of you would consider a better idea getting a 128GB on RAID 0 than a single unit. It s a pure performance matter, the price it completely the same.

As a rule of thumb I know a RAID 0 of x size is always faster than a single drive of the same x size, I was wondering if this applies to SSD as well.

SATA 2 or SATA 3 also involves Motherboard adjustments. My crappy Asus P6T is almost 2 years old and is not SATA 3 compatible, cutting out that option.

Any other suggestion welcome.

• 2 weeks later...