Spartans Home

Home Server

I have decided to upgrade my server, and I ended up with this. Good UK price for a complete bit of tin. It will end up with 2TB drives as a pool to provide some decent backup/storage @ 8TB. The old server was ok, but could only cope with 1TB drives under Windows and was struggling to run all the crap I was throwing at it, like ARMA and Vegas 2.

http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/HP_ProLiant_ML110_G6_Tower_Server_585458-035/version.asp?PID=768

Anyone got any views on which 2TB drive to go for?

Lastly will a Linux build work around the controller/drive size issue on the old server or am I living in a vain hope with that one? :beatdeadhorse:

I just built another machine specifically for server duties.

I recommend.

ST32000641AS

2TB Seagate Barracuda XT SATA3 Hard Drive

SATA III (3) 6Gb/s

7200rpm

64MB Cache

£122 inc VAT.

ST31500341AS

Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda

7200RPM SATA-300 32MB

£57.00 inc VAT

ST31000524AS

Seagate Barracuda© SATA 6Gb/s 1TB Hard Drive

7,200rpm, 32MB Cache

£40.00

WHY?

5 Year warranty, no fuss swap in swap out, less than 7 days turn around.

Very good spec for price.

Low noise.

Heat tolerant. 0-60 degrees

Less 0.5% failure rates

I built an XPC (SH67H3) as a SERVER, Shuttle XPC > SH67H3

using a quad core i5 @ 3.3Ghz, the Small footprint, Full Aluminium, Silent running & RAID Support drew me to it. Full build came in @ £550 inc W7 64bit.

Your system is at a bargain £250 but I needed small, compact, it had to sit behind my monitor & not be noticed, I use a wireless logitech keyboard and mouse to interface with it & port 2 DVI for my monitor.

Old server drive size is restricted to 64TB ? running in RAID.

Forgot to ask is your new/old Server SATA ? or IDE

@Luggage Ubuntu can cope with 2TB drives but if it has drivers for everything in your old box is a suk it and see job.

@Viii why the box on your desk wired up why not on your network hidden away and accessed remotely?

@Viii why the box on your desk wired up why not on your network hidden away and accessed remotely?

The first thought was hidden away (after the initial install & set-up) but the question was where? I wanted to avoid computer equipment in different locations & spreading, I wanted to avoid machines multiplying through the house (at the moment all pc's are in one room), I've had that before and it's a pain going room to room to check on why a pc is not operating, at the moment all my computer crap lives in one room (the command centre).

Large_command_center_Small.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well I know that everyone has been completely ambivalent regarding my small project using proper software and hardware, but as I was discussing the matter with Panic last night (everyone else saw me coming) I thought I would drop a small update for everyone to ignore. :bleh:

The server is fitted with five 2TB drives, and I am using drivepool from stablebit to create the dynamic mirroring and striping. Initially this was performing very badly and copying to the disk was unacceptable slow, but since release M3 4133 it has been working a treat.

The point of the post is that improvements are on the way. M4 release will deliver a completely rewritten file system which will be instead if NTFS,

What's new:

?A new file system, CoveFs, specifically designed for pooling. 100% native, on par with NTFS. No reliance on any user mode service. Needless to say, this is very big.

?DrivePool is now a disk. Yes, it has a drive letter.

?Deeper integration with the Dashboard.

?Usability improvements such as background duplication changing.

?Indexing support.

?Refreshed UI. Read the blog post for more...

Link to developer site blog.

http://blog.covecube.com/2011/12/a-tour-of-stablebit-drivepool-beta-m4/