Spartans Home

Evochron Mercenary - Freelancer and EVE rolled into one

MedicSN6

Oh well.. I am downloading this thing too.. :)

Giving a 90 minutes shot can't hurt :)

I am surprised by 2 things:

- Full Download size 228MB !!!! Are we back when games where fitting on Floppy Disks ?

- Mod kit download 1.6 MB !!!

So, I don t want be prejudicial, but either these programmers are showing to the rest of the world how to be efficent with code and crap to provide a beautiful game within 1 CD installement media or this is gonna be "weird" to say the least.

However, final price at 30 bucks doesn t have to be underestimated as "oh is cheap, what you wanna ask for?" because Mass Effect 2 is or was also 30 bucks.... and that is the most beautiful game I ever saw, meaning 30 bucks still have a value.

While Evochron Mercenary probably wont win any awards for being pretty or having nice menus, it is still a far cry better (so far) by inclusion, than other games that have attempted this genre. The game is developed by one guy and it is his passion. You aren't paying for Publishers or boxes and printed manuals. You are, however, paying for his time and passion, not to mention his willingness to listen to the community and change/fix broken things as well as implement new ideas. I'd pay more for a game that I know the Dev's head and heart are in the right place.

To be honest, the first thing I learned (a la Hajimoto) and spent time doing in the game was mining. I will probably be mining for a while to build up my resources and buy/build a new ship in order to run missions faster and add some survivability. As a Mercenary class you begin with 40,000 credits so I bought a 5 bay cargo hold and a Mining/Tractor beam. I warped out to the asteroid belt and mined just diamond and Platinum. Metal in my game is worth FAR less than the other two so I dumped all the metal and filled my cargo bays with as much platinum as possible, then diamond. Each cargo bay can hold 25 of one type of material.

When you mine, you move to an asteroid to within 100 meters. To engage the mining 'laser' press the B key for momentary action or ALT-B for permarun. As far as I can tell the mining laser does not overheat or run out of juice. The order in which the laser mines a mineral from the asteroid appears to be somewhat random but the frequency of each mineral is based on the rarity/value of the mineral. The minerals will stack in a cargo bay automatically up to 25 units then will start in a new cargo bay if available. To make sure you are not using valuable cargo bay space for junk metal, make sure you jettison it. You might need to micromanage this part a bit because in order to fill the cargo bay's with the more valuable minerals, you need to pay attention so you aren't ruining your time:value ratio.

Granted, this is not a monthly fee game where you need to manage the time you spend making money to buy ships so you actually have to time go out, fight and lose them, but it would still be pretty lame if all we ever did was churn out money and not get into any good fights. Spend as little time making as much money as possible so you can play the rest of the game with some efficiency and still have fun.

I may give this a shot too, and download the server potion. Maybe if enough are interested I'll continue to host a private universe for us.

From what I can tell, your character is the same if you play single player or on a server. Everything stays the same. If you want to create a new character though, it's very easy and you can do it 99 times.

I purchased it.. hope to be able to try some of it this afternoon.

Very cool. My family (brother ans sister-in-law) are in town for their baby shower, so I won't have much time to play this weekend. Come next week though, shit is on.

Got the demo and put in half an hour or so with the tutorials. Need a lot more time to be convinced, certainly not my normal game but something new is always a challenge.

Big issue at the moment is controls. I can't get the game to recognise my xbox controller. Is this not available in the demo, hate flying anything with keyboard.

I think.. I need some help on this game.

I mean, i got the game, Im taking a lookat the training.. I didn t really start any "Demo time" so at the moment it s all very theorethical.

However, my question is:

What is the Multiplayer game? Consider I am not used to MMORPG, I played RPGs in fantasy style, some MP but the concept was quite straightforward -- You got your characheter, get with your party and got killing the Dragon... I mean, pretty simple concept.

What is going on here?

Kal, you started a server, what that means? I am so confused with this kind of "open story" multyplayer.. Do we get together on a server to go happily mining all together? like the 7 Dwarfs? Do we have Whitesnow waiting for us at home at least?

Wow, that sounds exciting!

Do we get together to become Interstallar Truck drivers? "Trading" concept means, get on Plane A, buy some crap, fly to planet B, sell the crap. You don t sell well, all of your costs are on your shoulders and your economy fails. It s a truck driver sim.

What do we do on a server so exciting to require Multyplayer?

I am sorry, don t take my post wrong. I don t want sound negative, just help me to understand this game.

Ok, the server is up on my box, just do DNS lookup on kalxen.homeip.net. Seems you have to connect via IP, not by name. Uses default port.

Tried to connect multiple times and nothing. Be sure that you forward 3888 TCP and 3887 UDP to the server box.

Hajimoto's server has been up and operational since Thursday afternoon.

Feel free to stop by and whoop it up @ 71.192.141.252. EM does not support host names only IP.

Edited by Hajimoto