Spartans Home

Striker Extreme/P5N32 - Memory Compatibility

Xross

Anyone running a Striker Extreme or P5N32 SLI/Plus may be interested in this if you don't know it already. This isn't breaking news but since the board is new to me I'm just now hearing about it.

FYI:

OCZ Looks into ASUS Striker

Peace

(edit to add P5 reference)

Edited by X-Wind~SPARTA~

I knew about the compatability issue prior to purchase of my P5 so I chose ocz ram that was known to work. Assus even took down the recommended vendors list for two weeks cos they had so many problems. They are both good boards tho with the right ram.

Thanks Custard...

I figured it was old news but folks come into technologies at different times so I thought I'd go ahead and post it. Best thing I ever did for my board was dump the new 1305 and EZ Flash back to 1301.

It went from zero overclocking to a modest 25% on the CPU so far (2.4 to 3.0 on Q6600). The RAM still doesn't want to move for me though. 1066 Mhz OCZ RAM seems to be stuck at 800 Mhz.

Cheers

Zeno

Majestic

and I

all use Striker extremes, I know Zeno uses Dominator memory, Majestic uses OCZ Reaper and I have 2 machines one with Dominator and one with OCZ reaper and no problems, ask majestic for BIOS ver but I think we are all on 1303.

OK rebooted and checked

bios version is 1303 NO PROBLEMS

running QX6850 3.33Ghz bus 1333Mhz

2Gb OCZ Reaper extreme

OS Windows Vista 32 bit & Windows XP SP2 32 bit.

http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&...amp;modelmenu=1

-------------------------------------------

The 1303 BIOS majestic and I run is not available anymore but we have a copy each if you need it.

get it from here:

http://files.filefront.com/1303zip/;9220767;/fileinfo.html

File Name: 1303.BIN

Size: 1MB | Download Link

http://files.filefront.com/1303zip/;9220767;/fileinfo.html

PLEASE NOTE YOU UPDATE YOUR BOIS at your own risk.

I only supply the link to my 1303 backup of the bios Majestic & I use.

======================================

READ this thread POST 56

http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showto...amp;st=40

Quote from thread.

"Best bios version out apparently is the now legendary 1303 which is no longer available for d/l on Asus website. Many have claimed that 1301 is better than 1305."

I also have 2 striker extremes, One with Corsair Dominator and one with OCZ Reaper. I also used the 1303 version of the BIOS on both. The builds were both easy except, the Dominators were defective in my first build and the Graphics card was defective in my second one.

The first build had an early bios, which on top of the faulty "matched tested" and expensive ram created some confusion and hold up. The later build had a later bios and was faultless until I tried to play a game.

I have also built a rig around a P5 mb using cheaper Corsair DDR2 ram for my girlfriend and her kids. This was a faultless and easy build.

I am happy with my builds, but the joke is I dont overclock (yet).

X my memory I did oc abit but it doesn't seem to have a noticable effect on performance unlike a very small oc on my cpu which did so i put my mem back to 800Mhz.

Thanks all I and others truly appreciate you guys taking the time to document your experiences.

Any idea why ASUS pulled 1303 seeing as it's the BIOS of choice?

Again....Thanks to all as this is will help a lot of people moving through these configurations and trying to decide how to spend their hard earned and, in the case of the U.S, seriously undervalued dollars.

Peace

I have OCZ memory, but an EVGA 680i Motherboard, not a Stryker. Anyways, the OCZ ram supposed to run at 1100 or 1200, but if you don't boost the voltage it won't go above 800 and the automatic transmission for it (as I call the auto adjusting feature on the software/bios) fluctuates it between 533 and 800 depending on demand without ever taking it beyond 800mhz.

To get it to run at the higher, I will have to fix the voltage at the higher rate. I just haven't done it yet. For this particular OCZ memory rated at the higher speeds, it is a design feature for it to run at the higher rates only with the higher voltages and it is designed to take the higher voltages without burnout.

Dunno if this relates to your topic or not, but I thought it similar enough to post here in response in case it helps.

Thank you Cy,

I had an EVGA prior to the ASUS and they behave quite differently.

Since by JEDEC standards the highest level of DDR2 is the 6400 (800 Mhz x 8 bit) anything rated faster must be overclocked to reach that performance level.

JEDEC has allowed for this 'binning' in the DDR3 standard by having different classes at each level. For example DDR3-1600E will not O/C like DDR3-1600F/G/H but all will have absolute maximum DC voltages of <2V (1.975).....(re: JESD79-3A).

Please be careful when raising RAM voltages on any 680i as it's a notorious destroyer of chips that are rated to take it. I've read in many places that strap jumping and finding the right ratios are more effective than raising the voltage for what it's worth.

My rig is in a very tough place to get to for a CMOS reset which is the primary reason I'n proceeding so slowly plus I want this one to last a while.

Thanks again for your input,

Cheers

edit for clarity/typo

Edited by X-Wind~SPARTA~

I have the P5ne32 Sli and I use OCZ special ops ram and it works great.

I Overclocked my CPU and RAM together using the helpful little software in the Bios.

Did it in small increases and runs really smooth and 3.0ghz. Not sure of the ram speeds but the timings are 4-4-3-15.

XP pro SP2

Krambo

Edited by Krambo~SPARTA~

Thanks Kram,

I just ran four instances of Orthos (Priority 1 Blend) for over 8 hours on a Q6600 at 3150 Mhz (1400 FSB) with zero errors so I'm happy now that this Quad running at the same speed as my previous Dual Core.

It's the RAM that seems to be fighting me but I've been focused on the CPU and have not spent enough time on the RAM...yet. On my EVGA board with a dual core (E6600) at 3150 and RAM at 1145 (5-5-5-12-2T) I easily exceeded 10 GB/s on memory 'read' benchmarks wth Everest.

If I could get the RAM up to the same speed it was on the EVGA board I'd be a happy camper. The Striker does not respond to changes in RAM voltage like the EVGA did...but then again the EVGA ate two sticks of OCZ Reaper (Micron) DDR2-1066 so keeping the voltage down (below 2.2) is a very, very good idea.

Is your RAM at 800 Mhz Kram?

Thanks again,

IPB Image

typo edit

Edited by X-Wind~SPARTA~

I just looked at my memory in CPU-Z and I am running 2gigs of DDR2 at a whopping 266 Mhz

LOL.

whos bad?

Hey Medic cheer up and double that right from the jump.....double data rate fires on both edges of that base clock you're seeing so it's really performing at 532 Mhz. That's not very far back in time my friend so feel good.

Peace

Well just to post why flashing BIOS can be a bad idea:

1) D/L New BIOS

2) Unzip

3) Copy to Floppy/USB Drive

4) ALT-F2 on POST

5) Select new .BIN file from EZ Flash Menu

6) Flash complete now restarting

7) Republic of Gamers Screen comes up....and hangs!

8) DEAD BOARD... :angry:

I've done this procedure before with no issues. Not this time....

Only way to recover is to have a new EEPROM sent to you IF your board has it's chip in a socket and not soldered in.....want to guess what mine is.....soldered in.

Aarrgghh!!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a visual of how my last three weeks have gone with computers:

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Finally got all the pieces in and assembled so hopefully will get to spend some time in COD4 before the next disaster strikes.

The one positive aspect of all this is that I learned a bit about what to and, more importantly, what not to do when your computer transforms itself into a door stop.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas / New Year holiday and I look forward to stopping your bullets in mid-air....one of my more popular tricks.

Cheers,