Spartans Home

One disadvantage of being a techy-type

So I have this "friend" that...well, let me start by saying that I may be about to downgrade him from "friend" status.

So this guy has been making a few extra bucks here and there helping people fix their Xbox 360s when they RROD. I've helped walk this person through a couple of really simple things that I've never actually done myself, and I was able to do so simply because I Googled the issue in question and--lo and behold--I get 100 hits that all have the answer. Of course, this person swears he Googled for answers as well but never found anything.

Today, he is trying to help another person replace the DVD drive in their Xbox. This involves first hooking up a compatible model to a PC to flash the firmware (again, I Googled this). This "friend" wanted to bring the hardware to my place and have me do the work, but he wanted to be the one to collect the money when he delivered the repaired unit to his client.

I wanted to tell him to F-off; I managed to exercise some restraint and told him that, if he plans on making money on the side doing this Xbox repair-thingy, he should probably take the time to learn what he is doing. I also told him that, from my perspective, "Every time an Xbox dies, the world becomes a better place."

Of course, said "friend" is now upset because I won't do his work for him. Which is great for me. Maybe he'll finally leave me alone and Google things for himself.

Google is your friend and mine

I'm not the techiest person here by a million miles but I've had to reduce the number of ppl I help cos I get so cross with those that will not even do a quick search, my son just put a larger HD in his PS3 with just google to help.

I do like the line about everytime an xbox dies.......

When 50bucks put this much stress on a friendship it isnt friendship at all; if you really dont want to do this for him then it is up to him if that is enough to break the friendship.

The middle ground being,do your friend a favor have a few beers and show him how its done just one time for free ofcourse.

Edited by EL_n00biachi

The real shame is that people who are like almost never learn the lesson.

Maybe you should do the reparis and not him. Just start a business yourself fixing consoles and ipods.

I would do so if I had the desire--which I don't. I prefer to specialize in PCs (Windows-based, and maybe some occasional Linux work). I won't touch Apple products, consoles, refrigerators, cars--these are all things that people somehow assume I specialize in because, hey, I know stuff about PCs, I must know stuff about EVERYTHING, right? LOL, I wish that were true, but it's not. If it were, practically everyone here would be a Fortune 500 company unto themselves.

I help friends and family at no cost all of the time, and they do the same for me. But beyond that circle, it's a business transaction, plain and simple.

When 50bucks put this much stress on a friendship it isnt friendship at all; if you really dont want to do this for him then it is up to him if that is enough to break the friendship.

The middle ground being,do your friend a favor have a few beers and show him how its done just one time for free ofcourse.

I've already done this. Several times. I should probably clarify: this guys call me all the time about everything, sometimes very simple things that a 6-year-old could Google and figure out. He's become dependent upon me to do all of these things for him. And now he wants to have a side-business wherein I do the work but he gets the money. LOL, if you'd like, I'll give him your phone number and you can be his business partner.

Well then its up to him,you've been reasonable...i didnt really get that in the first post....now it almost looks like hes taking advantage of you........and uhm...no thank you :thumbsup_anim:

That's not being a friend, that's being a schmuck.

Ok here is what you do you tell him you will help.

YOU WILL NEED:

A. Garden Shed

B. Zoo

C. Saran Wrap

D. Bamboo and barbed wire

E. Bananas and Milk

F. Fire hose

G. Computer

1. Before he arrives build a makeshift cell out of barbed wire and dip the tips in monkey feces with bamboo bars covered in camel urine.

2. When he comes in the door greet him with a hearty handshake and then using your superior ninja skills render him unconscious through the utilization of the pressure point of poop. This will cause his bowels to evacuate so ensure you have a layer of saran wrap on the floor for easy cleanup.

3. Once this is accomplished use latex gloves to move his unconscious body into the above mentioned cage and proceed to store him here for a minimum of 2 weeks while only feeding him bananas and warm milk. Ensure there is no place for him to use the bathroom so that he will remain covered in his own waste for these two weeks ( this could be smelly so a garden shed is most likely called for)

4. Once the 2 weeks is up and he has reverted mentally to the level of a Lemar introduce the computer to him slowly and teach him the art of using Google searches. As he begins to grasp the concept slowly allow him to move back into a more human social norm. Any infractions should be met with either use of a cattle prod or a fire hose hooked to ice cold water.

5. Once he has learned this art release him into the wild to flourish and pass this knowledge to his fellow retards.

Edited by Gunthar~SPARTA~

Ok here is what you do you tell him you will help.

YOU WILL NEED:

A. Garden Shed

B. Zoo

C. Saran Wrap

D. Bamboo and barbed wire

E. Bananas and Milk

F. Fire hose

G. Computer

1. Before he arrives build a makeshift cell out of barbed wire and dip the tips in monkey feces with bamboo bars covered in camel urine.

2. When he comes in the door greet him with a hearty handshake and then using your superior ninja skills render him unconscious through the utilization of the pressure point of poop. This will cause his bowels to evacuate so ensure you have a layer of saran wrap on the floor for easy cleanup.

3. Once this is accomplished use latex gloves to move his unconscious body into the above mentioned cage and proceed to store him here for a minimum of 2 weeks while only feeding him bananas and warm milk. Ensure there is no place for him to use the bathroom so that he will remain covered in his own waste for these two weeks ( this could be smelly so a garden shed is most likely called for)

4. Once the 2 weeks is up and he has reverted mentally to the level of a Lemar introduce the computer to him slowly and teach him the art of using Google searches. As he begins to grasp the concept slowly allow him to move back into a more human social norm. Any infractions should be met with either use of a cattle prod or a fire hose hooked to ice cold water.

5. Once he has learned this art release him into the wild to flourish and pass this knowledge to his fellow retards.

I give this four internets because five is probably too many.

I think my solution is best but you have to film it and publish it on the internet as a social experiment and have the government pay for it through grants. This way you get some high quality monkey poo, maybe even a monkey in a smaller cage next to him to throw his poo at your friend randomly. Wait if that happens you need to find some hot peppers and feed them to the monkey so that his poo will be like concentrated pepper poo rockets that are like getting hit with a tazer to the face.