Spartans Home

Graphics or Mobo?

BSSBlade

Looking at upgrading to an i5/i7 board and processor.The issue is at the moment i have a:

Intel Quad core 2.4ghz

Gigabyte GA-EP43C-S3

6gig CORSAIR DDR2 6400 mem(3x2gig)

SAPHIRE RADEON 4870X2 2gig

750W Modular powersupply

Main drive is a 60 gig 10000rpm WD Raptor

and 2 360/320gig spare drives

And i would like roughly the same specs as KRAMBO

Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth P67 Rev3 (B3), Intel P67, S1155, PCI-E 2.0, DDR3 1866, SATA 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX £154.40

Processor - Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, 1155, Sdy Bridge, QuadCore, 3.3GHz, GPU 850Mhz, 6MB Cache, 95W, Retail £165.78

CPU Cooler - Corsair H50-1 Hydro High-performance CPU WatercoolerS775/1366/1156/1155 AMD 754/939/940/AM2/AM2+/AM3 £50.99

RAM - 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Twin Pack Vengeance, DDR3 PC3-14900 (1866), CAS 9-10-9-27 XMP, 1.50V £94.56

But not sure if a Better Graphics card would be a better upgrade path or stick with a DX10 card and go mobo way???

Have roughly £460 to spend any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by BSSBlade

A few guys talked about this a few days ago,i think it was me Haji EMT and Lighty,Haji showed a list ordering all the graphics cards in a hierarchy.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6870-geforce-gtx-570,2834-7.html

Haji said that if you dont move up atleast 2 places its not really worth the upgrade,and seeing your cards are still way up there....i wouldnt upgrade those, cause you wont see much improvement.

So....go for the CPU-MOBO etc upgrade.......im sure Haji would agree to this seeing as this is how he thinks,and it sounds logical;live long and prosper.

Edited by EL_n00biachi

I had the same card as you for allmost 2 years, sold it a month ago at 264 $(paid for it 547 $ when it was new).

I look at it as if it was a car, after two years you better sell it and get a newer one or it looses its value .

I got gtx 580 and there is a big difference when playing shift 2 bad company or even arma .

So thats an aspect you also need to consider if you can sell your card.

I completely concur with El Noobiachi's assessment. The 4870 X2 is a true performer, providing the catalyst drivers and performance profiles are complete for the gaming title that you are playing. All ATI/AMD Multi-GPU owners should have RadeonPro installed, so that they can create their own performance profile while waiting for the boys at ATI/AMD to get around to it.

The ONLY thing you will gain at this stage of the game will be DX11 and lets be honest, what DX11 game title is worth that??? As Noob pointed out, if your not moving up at LEAST 2 spots on this chart, you are tossing your money away.

For clarification:

Discrete = Desktop Computer Model

Mobility = Laptop or other portable.

vidchart.jpg

Do you have Page File running?

I have raptors on my system and turned page file on about a month ago to play CoH and it seems to have added some lag when starting some programs.

Stick your pagefile on a separate, non-OS hard drive.

Do you have Page File running?

I have raptors on my system and turned page file on about a month ago to play CoH and it seems to have added some lag when starting some programs.

Should be on by default,i always put it on a different drive and set it to a fixed size and defrag that file.