Spartans Home

Intel Sandy Bridge recall

Sandy Bridge RECALL

The issue is with the motherboard support chips for Sandy bridge processor, SATA port failure.

Socket 1155 (sandy bridge)

P67 & H67 chipsets

:beatdeadhorse: read if you have Sandy bridge CPU.

Intel's Sandy Bridge chipset flaw: The fallout

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20030070-64.html

31st Jan 2011

Intel Identifies Cougar Point Chipset Error, Halts Shipments

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cougar-point-sandy-bridge-sata-error,news-34911.html

16th Feb 2011

Intel Sandy Bridge recall: what you need to know (updated)

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsId=3259061

The reason: a problem with the SATA controller that could over a period of time cause problems with SATA-linked devices. PC Advisor explains what Intel's design flaw means for those who are about to buy an Intel Sandy Bridge PC, or have already taken the plunge.

Intel Sandy Bridge: The problem

The Cougar Point chipset allows up to four SATA ports at the legacy 3 gigabits per second (Gbps) speed, and two with the higher-speed 6Gbps interface. The problem lies in the SATA 3Gbps interface.

AMD Fusion APU Llano in a Multi-Tasking v Sandy Bridge

31st March 2011

Intel Sandy Bridge Flaw: Fix, Recall Cost, and Delay

http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/03/31/intel-sandy-bridge-flaw-fix-recall-cost-and-delay/

I do give a major A+ to Newegg to be ready to support customers in the best way possible with refunds where asked.

Also nice they provided a such clear explanation about the issue. This is the way a big company does business.

On the side note... Viiper, you need to change that signature... to focus on what you write it took 5 minutes !

inimigo, you should be fine.

I'm an AMD fan I'll admit but not a fanboi.

The video on the Llano had marketing all over it masked by stats...lol

Plus these are laptops, and that video chip the Intel has, is ok and decent as I've seen some work in AutoCAD, Inventor and a few other apps; I've not seen it with a 2630QM, just an i7 mobile (model I can't recall). It did show some hitches like the video but not to that extreme. Curious to see first hand how that 2630QM does so I can get an idea what to expect from the Llano.

Edited by SirSmokalot

well, looking where I'm coming from (old system I mean), I'm pretty satisfied.

I'm an Intel fan :)

question about the sandy-bridge, would the SATA-issue actually be able to damage devices (eg a HDD)?

Well, thing is, that issue compromise data transfer.

This means at least 2 issue levels:

1 - Reding/writing errors - to make it simple, you think you are saving that important copy of your Tax payment but that file will be corrupted when you will try to read it - OR - continous crashes and BSOD during your favorite game because data cannot be read correctly

2 - HDD are phisical units, bad writing might compromise sectors. You might fix it with full formats but would you bet on the reliability of a such mistreated drive?

You pull the conclusions....

Correct Rev B3 have fixed the issue but it still is a dual channel motherboard.

The differences in performance with dual channel v triple channel are small because currently triple channel memory

is not being utilized to it's full potential.

Thinking of memory like lanes on a highway (motorway), more lanes less bottlenecking & more bandwidth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

Dual-channel technology was created to address the issue of bottlenecks. Increased processor speed and performance requires other, less prominent components to keep pace. In the case of dual channel design, the intended target is the memory controller, which regulates data flow between the CPU and system memory (RAM). The memory controller determines the types and speeds of RAM as well as the maximum size of each individual memory module and the overall memory capacity of the system. However, when the memory is unable to keep up with the processor, a bottleneck occurs, leaving the CPU with nothing to process. Under the single-channel architecture, any CPU with a bus speed greater than the memory speed would be susceptible to this bottleneck effect.

The dual-channel configuration alleviates the problem by doubling the amount of available memory bandwidth. Instead of a single memory channel, a second parallel channel is added. With two channels working simultaneously, the bottleneck is reduced. Rather than wait for memory technology to improve, dual-channel architecture simply takes the existing RAM technology and improves the method in which it is handled. While the actual implementation differs between Intel and AMD motherboards, the basic theory stands.

Triple channel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-channel_architecture

DDR3 triple-channel architecture is used in the Intel Core i7-900 series (the Intel Core i7-800 series only support up to dual-channel), which are used on the LGA 1366 platform (e.g., Intel X58). AMD Socket AM3 processors do not use the DDR3 triple-channel architecture but instead use dual-channel DDR3 memory. The same applies to the Intel Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7-800 series, which are used on the LGA 1156 platforms (e.g., Intel P55). According to Intel, a Core i7 with DDR3 operating at 1066 MHz will offer peak data transfer rates of 25.6 GB/s when operating in triple-channel interleaved mode. This, Intel claims, leads to faster system performance as well as higher performance per watt.[1]

When operating in triple-channel mode, memory latency is reduced due to interleaving, meaning that each module is accessed sequentially for smaller bits of data rather than completely filling up one module before accessing the next one. Data is spread amongst the modules in an alternating pattern, potentially tripling available memory bandwidth for the same amount of data over storing it all on one module.

The architecture can only be used when all three, or a multiple of three, memory modules are identical in capacity and speed, and are placed in three-channel slots. When two memory modules are installed, the architecture will operate in dual-channel mode.[2]

Triple-channel can only be achieved on supporting motherboards and processors, since they implement the feature, not the RAM.

The point is, memory is expanding, with that expansion comes more access requests and dual channel was developed to answer problems with single channel DDR memory. So was the case with dual channel being superseded by triple and then there will be quad.

I know performance is slightly increased with triple channel but as time goes on DDR3 will get faster & 3 channels will accelerate the difference by that multiple.

:United_Kingdom: