Spartans Home

- SOLVED - Ahem... can someone help me to... shut down my PC ???

Batwing~SPARTA~

Well, i know.. this sounds quite weird.. and indeed it is!

It s the first time I meet this issue, didn t even imagine it could exist, but with PC tech, never say never :)

So, I can t shut the PC off, whatever i do (shutdown by Start botton in 7 or power on the case), PC start the correct procedure, shuts down perfectly and within 2 seconds will turn up again and reboot.

It s not even a "restart" procedure, because restart keep the power running and PC goes thru a fast reboot. This procedure shuts the power ooff, fans down and in 2 seconds autonomaly restarts. Doesn t stay off.

Only way to stay off is when i see the power has been cut off, I switch off the main power o the PSU and cut the power off..

then if i switch it back, power in on the MB but the system stays off till my next power up.

This happened yesterday after I installed the new videocard.

Now, in full honesty I have to say, unistalling the 2 large 4850s I had in crossfire was a pain in the ass, and i had to shake the MB a bit to finally release the 2 cards.

When I did reboot the first time after new card installation, i had a surprise BIOS settings were totally wiped out. resetted at January 2002 manufacturer settings.

This is not "normal" to happen but it didn t scare me too much, because re adjusting BIOS settings the way are supposed to be for my machine, started fine ever since.

I installed drivers (and that is another story I will discuss on another post) and after a couple of reboots, worked flawless..

As I said, there were a couple of "reboots", so it was supposed to shutdown and restart and did it perfectly, so i didn t notice any anomaly. When i went to dinner and tried to shut down, he started showing his "personality" refusing to stay Off.

Now, besides this, HAL (I decided to call my PC this way now, based on his behavior) works amazingly good. Low temps, great gaming performances, no blu screens or anomalies...

So far i checked the "obvious":

1 - no BIOS setting allowing any "wake on LAN" options

2 - disconnected LAN cable from ethernet card to avoid possible wake up packets

3 - Power botton on case is not jammed

4 - reset BIOS at default settings, still does it

5 - open case and checked for possible occlusions or something hitting the on-board MB power switch (this model has one for testing porpoise) - all clear

I am a bit lost here.

Some google search focus a possible issue with the PSU, but I do exclude that issue for a few reasons:

PSU usually:

1 - bring random shut downs

2 - failure and reboot or BSOD under heavy load

3 - inconsistent and random power related issues

4 - my PSU is 650 or 700 W (cant recall) and worked flawlessy so far with 2 4850 in CF. Putting a single 6950 is going to use less power, cannot be that.

I will use HAL and I will wait for other possible syptoms, if any will raise, as BSODs or any othr kind of unvoluntary shut down.

Actually my only idea may be motherboard related. I had this ASUS P6T SE RMAed twice already. This is the third MB I had as replacement running. If really this MB is gonna die, i ll keep it till the last breath of its life and then i ll trow it in the garbage and get a new one....

Any "sleep prescription" for HAL is welcome, thx :)

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

I bet you have tried this but do what I call base building. Start with MINIMUM hardware only. keyboard monitor mouse and 1 video card disconnect all non essental hardware (usb, fire wire,sound) Go back to the BIOS and look and see what the defaults are. See if there is an option to turn on the computer by moveing the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard.

Call me if you need (I will be happy to PM the #

Thx Steel,

I checked the BIOS possible turn on devices, is all disabled..

About unplugging all the devices, I am a bit lazy about it. But honestly, besides a few USBs connected (cam, 1 joy, Keyb and mouse and TrackIR) all the rest is a pretty easy set up, not much to be removed, 2 HD in RAID, 1 DVD rom and 1 videocard only, so totally easy.. no reason to not work.

I would suspect that you are getting a ground to a power rail. Remove the Mobo and reseat it as I suspect the yanking of the GFX cards during removal might have caused it to short out on the rear of the Mobo.

I thought about it.

I didn t take action to reseat the MoBo yet because i was thinking:

-- If this is a ground problem, creating a short somewhere, shouldn t it power on the MB as soon as I turn on the main power switch?

It reboot the PC ONLY after a full shut down procedure, about 3 seconds after a power off, But if during those 3 seconds I switch the main botton off, wait 3 seconds and turn the main botton on, PC stays off till when I will use the case power botton.

A short is a short, if is there, is there. Why doesn t restart the PC as soon as power get back ?

are you talking about the connection on the motherboard related to the case power switch?

Eventually this test may check for a botton jamming on the case, but as i said earlier, cas power botton is not jammed.

I can try and see but I do not think this will be effective.

Yes that connection. It will be a deffinitive test to isolate the location of the issue. If the problem contenues to happen with the switch dissconnected it is NOT the switch... unless there are multiple causes for this problem in which case it MIGHT be switch (unlikely).

Alright,

and the cul;prit is.... THE MOTHERBOARD :)

This bastard is going nutz again, however now is working great and i ll keep it as such till its last breath.

I had this model RMAd twice and this is the 3rd one running on my system. Never ever getting an ASUS MB again, unfortunately it looks like they changed something in their production. I ve been happy with them for years on other PCs and this model is supposed to be the mainstream for i7s.. P6T SE, but unfortunately has such a poor design and showed to not be able to survive a full year, twice.

So, after checking all the possible stuff inside my system, try this and reboot, nada, try that and reboot, nothing, try that other stuff and reboot, still the same issue... finalyy, without an apparent reason, the MB BIOS crashed to manufacturer settings, system time 1/1/2002. I finally reset the correct info and BAM, now the problem is gone !!

I reset the BIOS to manufacturer at least 5 times before that "accident" but it didn t work...

So, finally some way it "recreated" a short circuit by itself and finally got rid of this silly problem.

I love a happy ending story :)

I found that on asus boards, that if its working ok leave it alone as far as the bios version. I upgraded mine only to have all the advanced settings for ram missing or removed in that version of bios. And after updateing the bios I could not go back to origanal version. So after a call to asus they sent me a bios chip with the first version on it. put it in and ok now.

There is a softare way to revert a BIOS on ASUS, but is really an hassle.

Weird thing is that the official BIOS update utility from ASUS, in the past was allowing with a simple click to load any kind of version. Then they "updated" to a new utility version and removed that golden option !!!

Only if you are lucky enough to have the ol utility version you can upgrade a BIOS, test it and revert if you don t like it.

Bunch of idiots...

It happened to me when the first time I had a problem with this shit, I Upgraded the BIOS just to find the new one was not giving me the option to tweak my OC the way I liked !! I had to search on the Internet the weirdest places to find that freaking old utility annd being able to revert to my previous BIOS.

Just this by itself is a good reason to not go ASUS anymore... i forgot about it and thx for reminding me ! :)