Spartans Home

American Top Gear

MH6~SPARTA~

I had my doubts, but I think this show will live up to the Top Gear name.

Watching an AH-1 Cobra hunt down a Dodge Viper was entertaining as hell. At one point you can see some bystanders standing around at the airport, and one of them uploaded this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YgrRAEpvHg

This was shortly before they got "killed" for the third time, and for obvious reasons.

BBC's Top Gear works so well primarily because of Jeremy Clarkson. I dont think any of the American hosts have that thing that Clarkson has.

Here is my take on it.

UK Top Gear is heavily crafted/scripted pre-planned. Almost nothing that happens is an accident. The trick is they try to make it look as casual as possible. If you take any a-b races they do - do you really think they set up 20 million cameras on the route to capture the drive-past. They have to stop, set up cameras and record the simple drive past. Clearly there is no real race, no matter what you think. But the programme is always defended as an entertainment vehicle it is no longer a motoring magazine, and whilst I find some things a little too co-incidental, you can't help admire the way they portray the schemes.

The reason that Topgear works is their attention to detail. Other motoring programmes would dearly love to get at the assets and production budget that the BBC can throw at it.

If Topgear UK had done that challenge, they would have had some idea of some something to say during the drive, mentioning pimps. drug dealers, the state of the car etc, plus some witty comments on voiceover. I felt they just laughed, and hadn't really got a plan. I may be doing them a dis-service - if so I apologise.

If Topgear UK had done that challenge, they would have had some idea of some something to say during the drive, mentioning pimps. drug dealers, the state of the car etc, plus some witty comments on voiceover. I felt they just laughed, and hadn't really got a plan. I may be doing them a dis-service - if so I apologise.

Comments/ Narration is defiantly missing on playback, feels like they didn't watch the original for structure.

The moonshine clip is a good idea but the track they ran is ridiculous, even a 4x4 suv would struggle to survive.

Is this another Italian job remake?

I look forward to some initial episodes to see if they kill it......

Eather one of those shows doesent impress me much, seems all they do is comment about cars, kind of biased about how much it cost and what they don't like about the car.(Is this jerk qualifiyed enough to even wine about stuff anyway) Saw one on the dodge viper, the long faced old idiot called it a axe murderer car. They wine about stupid stuff like shifters. and have some dumb time race on the board and make the all the people stand up for the whole show. Lets have a real inteligent show telling us about the new technoligy, cost of maintenance, Get down to the nuts and bolts of the car, tell us about the new innovations on the car, like how the anti lock brakes coupled with anti skidd works, Instead of bicthing about a shifter on it. I hate to sound mean about it, but call me when a real car show comes out, instead of a couple of commenting bozos on it that don't know their way out of a hole in the ground. And sitt there giggling like school kidds.I change it to the miltary channel when that insult comes on. That tv show is for people who don't know anything about cars put on buy people who don't know anything about cars as well."oh quite you call that a shifter" No give me a giant break!

Motor week is better.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Eather one of those shows doesent impress me much, seems all they do is comment about cars, kind of biased about how much it cost and what they don't like about the car.(Is this jerk qualifiyed enough to even wine about stuff anyway) Saw one on the dodge viper, the long faced old idiot called it a axe murderer car. They wine about stupid stuff like shifters. and have some dumb time race on the board and make the all the people stand up for the whole show. Lets have a real inteligent show telling us about the new technoligy, cost of maintenance, Get down to the nuts and bolts of the car, tell us about the new innovations on the car, like how the anti lock brakes coupled with anti skidd works, Instead of bicthing about a shifter on it. I hate to sound mean about it, but call me when a real car show comes out, instead of a couple of commenting bozos on it that don't know their way out of a hole in the ground. And sitt there giggling like school kidds.I change it to the miltary channel when that insult comes on. That tv show is for people who don't know anything about cars put on buy people who don't know anything about cars as well."oh quite you call that a shifter" No give me a giant break!

Motor week is better.

Understand your sentiments, unfortunately the BBC will tell you that Topgear is not no longer a Motoring update show, it is now an entertainment vehicle(no pun intended) and if you want to know detail about cars, watch another show.

They actually revel in taking the piss about people who complain about the direction the show has gone - whether you like it or not, their viewing figures are greater than when they were a pure magazine programme.

I am not defending them, just clarifying that they hit their target audience and their show format is meant to be as is.

Unfortunately this show came on again right after Dr who on bbc usa had to change the channel real fast! They had the new VWs on. NAUSIA level rose up real fast, saved buy the Military channel once again.WEW!

Wacth this, I think its alot better!

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Motor week is better.

The format of Top Gear prior to Clarkson & Co. taking over was exactly what youre talking about Athlon ... and to be honest, it was a huge bore. It had dull hosts who droned on and on about the latest sub compact family car. Zzzzzzz. Top Gear as it is now is about the fun of cars. Look at it this way, most of the cars they talk about are super cars ... in other words cars that 99.99% of the viewing audience will never own, so they skip of the details and talk about the 'fun of motoring.' It is as luggage says about entertainment. As for the knowledge base of the three hosts, those guys are actually quite well informed about cars and engineering and technology, its just that the show isnt about the details.

PS - Im talking about BBC Top Gear here nor the US version.

Edited by BrerRabbit~SPARTA~