Spartans Home

STEAM, OA, MODS and Combined Operations

Hajimoto

Hello all -

I've heard a lot of discussions in TS3 regarding loading mods with a STEAM installed ARMA2 and ARMA2 OA and there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding STEAM, ARMA2, ARMA2 OA and ARMA2 OA CO. I have walked several of you through these procedures and felt that a SPARTA post would be beneficial to the community as well as my limited reserve of sanity.

When one loads OA you are greeted with a very nice menu choice called "Expansions". This is ARMA2 OA's new in game mod manager which works very well with the retail version of the game but is gimped in the STEAM version. The problem is if you launch Combined Operations, you lose the mods manager and the ability to load mods such as ACE2 and others from the menu. The menu dissapears because essentially the menu is a hybrid menu from ARMA2 and OA.

There are several ways to load mods, one popular STEAM method is the startup line parameter change. While in your library of installed games, right click on the game title and select properties. Then select "Set Launch Options" which opens the launch options input window and allows you to enter your custom launch parameter, like what is shown in Fig 1 below.

fig1.jpg

___________________________ FIG 1________________________________

The problem is the start up line is loaded for each instance of the game separately. Meaning, if you right click and make a custom startup line for ARMA2, those launch options are for ARMA2. The same is true for ARMA2 OA, but if you "Launch Combined Operations" you load a separate file altogether.

When STEAM released OA they realized very quickly that there was not a "Launch Combined Operations" option to those that purchased the stand alone version of OA. They put out a patch which adds a file to your OA root directory called "_runA2CO.cmd". This file is nothing more than a launcher that was created by utilizing the mlink feature of your OS in conjunction with the registry path values for ARMA2 and ARMA2 OA's.

That brings us to the question "So how do I load mods with ARMA2 OA Combined Operations?" wallbash.gif

Answer, we need to modify the "_runA2CO.cmd" file. construction.gif

1). To edit the file: go to your Arrowhead folder, and make a copy of your "_runA2CO.cmd" and rename the copied .cmd file to i.e. _runA2CO_ACE.cmd.

2). Right-click on the batch file and choose "Edit".

3). Look for these lines at the end of the batch file:

:runs

"%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca"

and change them to:

:runs

"%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca;@cba;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACE X_SM"

Or any other @MODS you require. Be sure to follow the format listed which is "-mod = @MOD1;@MOD2;@MOD3;"

DONE!clapping.gif

You can use this method to create multiple runA2CO_???.cmd's that contain your custom mod selections yet you will still have the vanilla "Launch Combined Operations" version of runA2CO.cmd when needed.

Remember, these techniques are one way to achieve the goal of loading mods with a STEAM version of ARMA2/ARMA2 OA and are only work arounds until STEAM releases the patch which will fix all these bugs.

See ya on the battlefield soldier! dog.gif

Edited by Hajimoto

I have the steam version of both games and use Arma launcher to launch mods for both games with no problems. I like it much better than trying to modify command lines.

GooniversalSoldier, I would be very interested in your results should you try and join a Combined Operations Server. From what I remember, Arma2 Launcher allows you to launch either game but does not allow for a Combined Operations launch which is an entirely different animal as it loads elements from both titles.

@Hajimoto

The new version allows you to combine or seperate.

http://www.armaholic...age.php?id=6649

As I said previously and maybe I am just blind, but this launcher does not have an option to launch Combined Operations. You can launch Arma2 or Arma2OA no CO.

My instructions are to allow users to launch mods with a STEAM install and join a CO server without coping their entire ArmA2 directory to their OA directory, which increases the data volume on the HD.

If I am missing the CO launch in the new launcher please screen shot the option for my blind self worshippy.gif

Edited by Hajimoto

you are right as far as a selection or ease, but I've found a way to get it going in the latest version 3.1.0

(yep you will need this:)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6649

Goto what was the "Parameters" tab now called Options and look for the empty field called Additional Command Line Parameters, enter the following:

-mod=C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2

Then set launcher to initiate OA at the bottom left corner, and save to prefered profile.

Get all the ArmA 2 singleplayer missions, Scenarios, and Content (planes, tanks, automobiles).

:banana_dance:

sidenote, launcher now has a start parameter for FRAPS....nifty.

Edited by SirSmokalot

you are right as far as a selection or ease, but I've found a way to get it going in the latest version 3.1.0

(yep you will need this:)

http://www.armaholic...age.php?id=6649

Goto what was the "Parameters" tab now called Options and look for the empty field called Additional Command Line Parameters, enter the following:

-mod=C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2

Then set launcher to initiate OA at the bottom left corner, and save to prefered profile.

Get all the ArmA 2 singleplayer missions, Scenarios, and Content (planes, tanks, automobiles).

:banana_dance:

sidenote, launcher now has a start parameter for FRAPS....nifty.

Excellent information Smoke, always nice to have multiple ways to achieve a goal. I like clean interfaces rather than raw data manipulation because at some point it becomes difficult to recall where you were if you step away from a title for any length of time.

I also LOVE the auto launch of TrackIR and FRAPS. I have already looked into the code and to hexedit to load PLAYCLAW instead for my use. I could always just rename my Playclaw to FRAPS I guess MSNWINK.GIF

Thanks for great information winner_first.gif

My instructions are to allow users to launch mods with a STEAM install and join a CO server with coping their entire Arma2 directory to their OA install, which increases the data on the HD.

I can confirm that goon's fix of just copying the Addons folder worked fine.