Spartans Home

My New Rifle - Part II

MedicSN6

Okay So I have spent some time upgrading parts and finding what I like.

The Rifle consists of:

CMMG M4LEPII w/Quad-Rail w/ Piston System

Magpul CTR

Magpul ASAP Sling Plate

Magpul MIAD Grip

Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard

Magpul B.A.D (Battery Assist Device)

Magpul AFG (Angled Fore Grip)

Magpul BUIS (Backup Iron Sights) Front and Rear

Daniel Defense Light Mount

Surefire 6P Tactical Light

BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 Enhanced Charging Handle

Magpul MS2 Combat Sling

Magpul PMAG x6, TAPCO Polymer Mag x1, CMMG Enhanced Mag x2

Executive Softsided Discreet M4 case x2 (One black and one desert tan)

CMMG .22LR Conversion Kit

Things to do yet:

Get a better Optics system. I will probably get an Aimpoint or variant.

Get a better flash hider. Running a standard A2 birdcage for now.

Get some rail panels. Will probably use the ladder style.

Get more ammo and mags. Can never have too much or too many.

Also in the images:

My Rock Island 1911A1 .45 ACP

5 mags by Kimber, Chip McCormick, and Novack's

Insight M6X Rail Light

Blackhawk! Serpa Level 2 Drop Leg Holster

Ammo is various, .223 REM, 5.56mm NATO, .45 ACP

Here we go!

The whole kit!

1004290.jpg

Rifle with the Conversion system

1004299.jpg

Magpul CTR stock

1004305.jpg

Magpul ASAP sling plate, BCM Gunfighter charging handle (side), and Magpul Rear BUIS

1004306.jpg

Magpul BAD and Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard

1004310r.jpg

BCM Gunfighter charging handle (Top)

1004309.jpg

Magpul AFG - Angled Fore Grip

1004312y.jpg

Daniel Defense Light Mount, Surefire 6P Tactical Light, and CMMG Piston System/Gas Regulator

1004314k.jpg

My options

1004318.jpg

Another of the 1911A1 .45.

This is my carry pistol because if I have to shoot someone (I hope I never have to) I know the Police will take it and I may never see it again, so it isn't all decked out. I did add some rubber grips to the front strap though which makes it far more shootable.

1004298j.jpg

Very nice!! How much did the build cost?

Hmmm... to put a price tag on it all. I got about a 10% discount for most things except the rifle so I will figure that it at the end.

The Rifle consists of:

CMMG M4LEPII w/Quad-Rail w/ Piston System - $1125

Magpul CTR - $92

Magpul ASAP Sling Plate - $30

Magpul MIAD Grip - $50

Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard - $20

Magpul B.A.D (Battery Assist Device) - $30

Magpul AFG (Angled Fore Grip) - $25

Magpul BUIS (Backup Iron Sights) Front and Rear - $90 (set)

Daniel Defense Light Mount - $50

Surefire 6P Tactical Light - $50

BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 Enhanced Charging Handle - $50

Magpul MS2 Combat Sling - $40

Magpul PMAG x6, - $13 x 6 = $78

TAPCO Polymer Mag x1, - $16

CMMG Enhanced Mag x2 - came with rifle

Executive Softsided Discreet M4 case x2 (One black and one desert tan) - $200 (for both)

CMMG .22LR Conversion Kit ($200 + $20 for extra mag)

The extras I have round out to be $821 not including the conversion kit. Take off my estimated discount of about 10% and it comes out to be $739 + 1125 for the rifle = $1864 +tax

The entire setup is over 2 grand and climbing.

I still need rail panels which are like $15 each, a different flash hider which can run from $50-100, and better optics. I am running a simple red dot which a buddy is lending me right now. It isn't that great but it holds zero well. I am however waiting for a good deal on an Aimpoint to pop up somewhere. I have also toyed with the ideas of a trigger job, non-rotating trigger pin set, titanium firing pin, and different bolt, but all of this is really unnecessary because these are upgrades if you plan on converting it to a Full-Auto or TRB function, which I do not plan to. They would however make the rifles innards last much longer.

either way it will be a big dirty mess to clean up LOL BTW!!! nice customs.

Actually, because it's a piston system, the clean up job is easy. Because, the gas from the reaction isn't pushed back through a gas tube into the upper receiver carbon doesn't build up on the carrier, bolt and firing pin, and the trigger assembly, not to mention the inside of the receivers. The gas is instead, diverted into the regulator which uses the proper amount of gas to push a piston rod to the rear and into a spring which drives it back forward. The excess gas is expelled at the front of the weapon system forward of the rails. This is a great system that leads to a more reliable action, but there are some drawbacks. The two most notable downsides of a piston system are that the system adds weight which may translate to more swing when transitioning from target to target and that it expells hot gas to the front of the weapon which is close to where you put your off hand for stability, but at least the rifle will still shoot after longer periods of time because of the reduced fouling.

All this goes out the window when the conversion kit is dropped in because I have to remove the piston and the piston spring and then reinsert the regulator adjuster. The bolt carrier is removed and replaced by the conversion. The charging handle remains. So it is a pretty cool system that makes shooting the rifle pretty cheap.

Nice setups. very cool. I like that SPR upper style. Everyone around here is going for a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle). Kind of a fad thing I guess. I much prefer accuracy over distance.

Nice cat too.

I like both setups equally and they are actually both fairly accurate *They are probably are more accurate than I think, if I was a better shot :MSNWINK:*. The 24" barrel is a colt match 1/9 twist barrel and the 14.7" one there *total of 16.1" cause of the pinned flash suppressor there* is a 1/7 twist barrel. I use the 62gr .223 and love shooting .22's as well in both uppers. I did manage to hit a balloon with a .22 out of the 24" at 300 yards which was fun.

Since there wont be much left, if anything, to rob. Should we just call this domestic terrorism?

No, Domestic Terrorism would be applying the "Dutch Oven," or is that considered torture?

That custom charging handle looks like it'd be the best investment on that weapon. I hate the charging handles on the M16/M4 family of rifles.