Spartans Home

Arma2 OA Release announced

Kavlarakos~SPARTA~

According to Games Press a release Date of Operation Arrowhead has been announced.

The official press release for ArmA 2 - Operation Arrowhead has been released!

Arma 2: Operation Arrohwead will be released on 29th June exclusively for PC.

Quote :

Prague, Czech Republic, April 22nd

Award-winning independent development studio Bohemia Interactive today confirmed that Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, the forthcoming standalone expansion pack for Arma 2, best military simulator of 2009, will be available to buy across the globe from June 29th. Developed as a massive standalone expansion pack enlarging Arma 2 to a completely new level, Operation Arrowhead promises to deliver yet more of the highly authentic military simulation gameplay the series is famed for, while shifting the action to an all-new environment and adding key new features to Arma 2?s already vast palette.

Set in the fictional region of Takistan and taking place three years after the Arma 2?s campaign, Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead features three new world maps with radical new terrain; sandy deserts, a dense city with surrounding countryside and a rocky mountainous region. Also included in the standalone expansion pack is support for controlling unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to observe, strike and rescue from afar, along with a fully-modelled FLIR thermal imaging simulation with unprecedented realism to give the player advantages while working at night, going as far as to model vehicle engine heat, tyre friction and even glowing weapon barrels after being fired. A new campaign is included, with Bohemia Interactive taking the experience gained from its previous games, combined with real world events and political intrigue, to create a storyline that serves as a chilling reminder to the geo-political situation the world finds itself in on a constant basis. Other new features include a detachable backpack system for carrying more weapons and ammunition, and an overhauled optics system allowing keen marksmen to ?zero in? their scopes to account for ballistic fall-off.

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead employs a third-generation engine benefitting from more than a decade of continual development and unique experience in implementing new technologies and procedures. Named the Real Virtuality engine, it is widely recognised as the premier platform for modern military simulations where realism and technical accuracy are crucial. Bohemia Interactive Studio?s Real Virtuality engine is used as a base for real-world training simulators implemented by numerous governments and militaries around the world including the United States Marine Corps, the United Kingdom Minstry of Defence and the Australian Defence Force.

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead features in full:

? New Playable Content: New story campaign for both single and multi-player gameplay. Wide range of new tutorials, single scenarios and multiplayer modes.

? Massive Game World: Three brand new Central Asia-style large maps including expansive urban, desert and mountainous terrain, featuring a fully destructible and interactive environment.

? Extra Units and Vehicles: Multiple factions for all sides including US Army, United Nations, Takistani Army and Guerrillas making a collection of 300+ new units, weapons and vehicles.

? Ultimate War Simulation Experience: Fully integrates with the original ARMA 2 for unmatched warfare simulation.

? Unique Gameplay Elements: Detachable backpacks with equipment, advanced weapon optics, material penetration modeling, remote real-time simulation of Unmanned Arial Vehicles (UAV), freedom of decision and repercussive actions.

Press Release provided by Games Press.

According to Games Press a release Date of Operation Arrowhead has been announced.

The official press release for ArmA 2 - Operation Arrowhead has been released!

Quote :

Prague, Czech Republic, April 22nd

Award-winning independent development studio Bohemia Interactive today confirmed that Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, the forthcoming standalone expansion pack for Arma 2, best military simulator of 2009, will be available to buy across the globe from June 29th. Developed as a massive standalone expansion pack enlarging Arma 2 to a completely new level, Operation Arrowhead promises to deliver yet more of the highly authentic military simulation gameplay the series is famed for, while shifting the action to an all-new environment and adding key new features to Arma 2?s already vast palette.

Set in the fictional region of Takistan and taking place three years after the Arma 2?s campaign, Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead features three new world maps with radical new terrain; sandy deserts, a dense city with surrounding countryside and a rocky mountainous region. Also included in the standalone expansion pack is support for controlling unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to observe, strike and rescue from afar, along with a fully-modelled FLIR thermal imaging simulation with unprecedented realism to give the player advantages while working at night, going as far as to model vehicle engine heat, tyre friction and even glowing weapon barrels after being fired. A new campaign is included, with Bohemia Interactive taking the experience gained from its previous games, combined with real world events and political intrigue, to create a storyline that serves as a chilling reminder to the geo-political situation the world finds itself in on a constant basis. Other new features include a detachable backpack system for carrying more weapons and ammunition, and an overhauled optics system allowing keen marksmen to ?zero in? their scopes to account for ballistic fall-off.

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead employs a third-generation engine benefitting from more than a decade of continual development and unique experience in implementing new technologies and procedures. Named the Real Virtuality engine, it is widely recognised as the premier platform for modern military simulations where realism and technical accuracy are crucial. Bohemia Interactive Studio?s Real Virtuality engine is used as a base for real-world training simulators implemented by numerous governments and militaries around the world including the United States Marine Corps, the United Kingdom Minstry of Defence and the Australian Defence Force.

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead features in full:

? New Playable Content: New story campaign for both single and multi-player gameplay. Wide range of new tutorials, single scenarios and multiplayer modes.

? Massive Game World: Three brand new Central Asia-style large maps including expansive urban, desert and mountainous terrain, featuring a fully destructible and interactive environment.

? Extra Units and Vehicles: Multiple factions for all sides including US Army, United Nations, Takistani Army and Guerrillas making a collection of 300+ new units, weapons and vehicles.

? Ultimate War Simulation Experience: Fully integrates with the original ARMA 2 for unmatched warfare simulation.

? Unique Gameplay Elements: Detachable backpacks with equipment, advanced weapon optics, material penetration modeling, remote real-time simulation of Unmanned Arial Vehicles (UAV), freedom of decision and repercussive actions.

Press Release provided by Games Press.

Any idea of who will be distributing it here in the USA? I prefer a hard (DVD) copy as to a download.

Any idea of who will be distributing it here in the USA? I prefer a hard (DVD) copy as to a download.

Thanks for posing the question. I did the DL version of ArmA2 from D2D. For this one I want a hard copy.

Atari seems like a safe bet but you never know.

Thanks for posing the question. I did the DL version of ArmA2 from D2D. For this one I want a hard copy.

Atari seems like a safe bet but you never know.

Wait just remembered that Atari screwed the pooch on the US release. Nevermind.

I'm curious about this note - "featuring a fully destructible and interactive environment"

After playing Bad Company 2.. my mind is wrapped around a certain level of "fully destructible".

Fully destructible, as in when I kill you, you punch your LCD panel and it is fully destroyed. ;)

Yeah ! I can t wait !

After i saw the graphic used in OA, I am totally sold for this game :)

"destructable environment".. I read a recent review, where the writer was directly comparing BC2 destructable environment to OA and he said that is not even close to be compared, however it is way more implemented than Arma2 standard.

So, don t set your expectations too high about that. I give a golden medal to BC2 about that subject :)

What I am concerned about are the patterns for the Artificial Stupidity that reign in Arma2. AI is an unkown term on this game, or you have to be a scripting engeneer to write scripts on scripts to unlock some decent behaviour to the enemy forces.

I hope they made the AI a bit more beievable and realistic and possiblyy on the single player asw well.

I like Multy, but i enjoy single too, and Arma2 single campaign is unplayable because your team has the IQ of a chicken before entering the oven...

However, I am quite confident in OA :) keep finger crossed :)

Edited by Batwing

"destructable environment".. I read a recent review, where the writer was directly comparing BC2 destructable environment to OA and he said that is not even close to be compared, however it is way more implemented than Arma2 standard.

So, don t set your expectations too high about that. I give a golden medal to BC2 about that subject :)

What I'm hoping for in the next few years is an Arma-like game to have a destructable enviornment, but not just with buildings. I'd like to see the ability to dig trenches or foxholes, build berms or alter the enviornment that way.

What I'm hoping for in the next few years is an Arma-like game to have a destructable enviornment, but not just with buildings. I'd like to see the ability to dig trenches or foxholes, build berms or alter the enviornment that way.

If I had a nickle for ever hasty I've dug.... LOL

This would be very cool.

About the MultiCore question..

I t looks like Arma2 OA (and also Arma2) is optimized to run as many cores you have, so the more is the better.

However is not only the program itself making use of multicores, it is also the Operating System being able to use multicores at the best.

XP and Vista is my understanding are using MC decently, but the best is the optimized thread management on 7, if you can upgrade your OS.

Operation Arrowhead probably will have a better performance then Arma2 because of the new maps.

The maps which come out with OA will be desert and mountain like landscapes with less objects on them compared to chernarus.

It´s simple. More objects means more. And on the other hand I believe that the engine will be reworked so that hopefully the game will perform much better... We will see.

Exactly.

Dont know about you - but it looked like the guy in the dynamic village vid was getting in and moving about the building less clunky then Arma2.

I really like the buildings they actually remind me of some of the CentCom stuff from Ghost Recon.

Cant wait to see more of the AI characters - Taliban, Quadea crew.

And Im really hoping they have caves in Arma2 - chances?

And Im really hoping they have caves in Arma2 - chances?

I would be highly doubful. It seems like Arma2's main and biggest flaws are with landscape and special terrain. But, you never know.

I just can't wait to fly one of thos tali choppers with duct tape holding the props together!