Spartans Home

Power Supply Cooler Problems

Skaz~SPARTA~

Ok, i bought a power supply about a year ago, a Coolermaster eXtreme power 600w and it worked perfectly. A couple of months ago, it started making some loud noises. And the cooler eventually stopped working. The Power Supply works perfectly, but sometimes it gets very hot. I tried exchanging the broken cooler and the replacement cooler doesn't work. Does anyone have any advices? Or should i just get a new PS?

didn't understand cus, yeah, i replaced it and put the new 12v fan on the same slot as the old one, and it doesn't work. Do you think it is ok if i just connect it to a normal mobo slot?
It will be ok to conntect it to your MB. The PSU typically has a three wire lead. Black, Yellow, and Blue. The blue line is temp or PWM control which lets the fan spin up and down according to heat load.

So if you just use yellow and black it will run at 100% 12vdc.

Edited by Rooster

As a generic suggestion from a technician, really not mess up with a PSU not working.. You are going to win a huge headache, a lot of wasted time and possibly no results at all.

A specific paragraph on the A+ hardware qualification book states that if you have a fan issue wiith a PSU, you have to replace the PSU.

So forget about the "Da Vinci" solutions and embark yourself into a new PSU choice. It will range between 40 and 90 bucks and you will be happy,

It will be ok to conntect it to your MB. The PSU typically has a three wire lead. Black, Yellow, and Blue. The blue line is temp or PWM control which lets the fan spin up and down according to heat load.

So if you just use yellow and black it will run at 100% 12vdc.

ok, I think I realize what I did wrong. Since my new cooler I put in only had 2 wire leads, I probably connected it on the pwn control and not on the two power leads. I'll try fixing it up and reporting!

As a generic suggestion from a technician, really not mess up with a PSU not working.. You are going to win a huge headache, a lot of wasted time and possibly no results at all.

A specific paragraph on the A+ hardware qualification book states that if you have a fan issue wiith a PSU, you have to replace the PSU.

So forget about the "Da Vinci" solutions and embark yourself into a new PSU choice. It will range between 40 and 90 bucks and you will be happy,

Being A+ since 2000ish I have to agree with this statement, although back then it wasn't on the test. You may be putting too much of a demand on your PS, or the fan is simply quitting on you, either way it's best NOT to mess with it.

Invest in a good PS (or RMA it) and you wont regret it. 600w these days is on the low end of what's required of a lot of hardware as it is, if not too little. I think the new (Yes I am going to buy a 5870 when it's finally in stock) video cards require 650w, but it's always better to go higher...I use a 950w modular myself.

It will cost you around $80 for a decent PS, and up to $150 for a really good one, but I guarantee it's one of those things you don't want to skimp on. Kind of like tires for a motorcycle, or lasik surgery.