Spartans Home

Vinyl - MP3

Krambo

Hi Guys/Girls

My Dad really wants to convert his old Vinyl - MP3's and I have seen a few of the gadgets that do it.

Just wondered if anyone has one they recommend or the best place to get one?

Its for Xmas, want to get it sorted ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

This the kind of thing I mean...

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Veho-Music-...rds-Best-Seller

You could go with one of those turne tables that will convert it automatically, but short of that, you could find a cheaper turntable with RCA out jacks, convert it to a 3.5 mm stereo jack for your audio-input on your PC audio card and go from there. There are tons of free programs that record directly to MP3 or MWA from a audio-in.

What I have done is just let the entire LP play and record it as one long MP3 then use Audacity to break the file up into the individual songs later on. Works well and is AFK-able. You just have to be there at the end to stop recording.

Either way you need to let the LP play out loud.

This method works for all media, 8-track, Cassett, CD, even DVD audio is recordable. Just so long as you have an an output you can convert to 3.5mm stereo jack.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

I have done as Medic says but do not turn full blast vol or you will peak out the sound, I used my XfI software and made sure that the sound bars stayed out of the red zone.

It would be better to find a sound software that can get rid of pops and cracks as they will come thru clearly.

Or just bring them to Nashville and have it done professionaly as that is what our City is famous for........ :rolleyes:

I bought a usb turntable and never again. sherwood one i think.

The quality was really bad due to the cheap needle.

Being a dj ive got x2 technics 1210s and a pioneer djm600 mixer.

Bought a phono to jack lead and plugged jack into my laptop, downloaded Audcity which if a free Dl.

Set all my levels half way as to not distort ( u can tweak the levels once its a Mp3 ).

Quality is really good.

If u were to buy a Usb turntable Id go for a Numark,a well known name.

For me its all about the richness in sound quailty, theres nothing worse than listening to a tinni record.

just my 2c

Pikey

Dang Krambo taht I didn't see this thread any sooner.

I use my old phillips 303 truntable, with a pre-amp I bougt, my soundblaster x-fi music and smart recorder.

in this way you can keep the quality of you recording and MP3 it later. (after you have split the songs, named them etc.)

I have about 350 albums to go and as winter comes I will do some during teh weekends....

those truntables with a USB plug usually have a bad needle (making scratches on you record) no way of balancing the neelde (adjust the weight at the back of the needle arm) and cheep components destroying the 96 bit sound depth that you have on vinil..... only my SACD player gives Santana, Pink Floyd etc that boost they need to really enjoy the music. but some days I just plug in the record player to my stereo....

I cant quit you baaaaaaabbbbbbeeeeee....... yeangggggggggggg but I'm gonna put you down for a while.....

too bad most jimi hendrix albums are playd till breakdown by my parents.... but I have (allmost) every cd there is to get from Hendrix, Santana, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, ..... oops

Edited by Forrester

this kind of sounds like a "record"

and I'm not old enough to remember anything about them

sorry can't help

....that's my story and I'm sticking too it

:D

Yeah when I was growing up, my dad would play all of the albums of one group/band/person whatever over the span of a weekend. Three Dog Night, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, CCR, Hendrix, just to name a few. I had music appreciation class every weekend.