Spartans Home

Mando Missile beta

Ebden~SPARTA~

Mando Missile for Arma 2 Released an hour ago.

Downloading momentarily.

Mando has some great ideas. Helmet mounted HUD is really the reality on most aircraft these days. Just a few years ago computer technology couldn't break the latency barrier that made helmet huds unreliable. I do remember in the early 90s seeing 'certain' aircraft pilots in spacesuits with mobile computing systems that looked like suitcases and vented liquid nitrogen steam. Funny.

This mod alters the core code too much. This isn't adding a dynamic to existing code but replacing core instruction. He's replacing the trajectory and ballistics math. This is too bold for a mod, it belongs in a patch from BI. Each person has to run this mod client side. It creates a latency between pickle on the client and contact on the server. The AI doesn't have access to free angle targeting, so this creates a balance issue. The return is not equal to the investment.

This mod alters the core code too much. This isn't adding a dynamic to existing code but replacing core instruction. He's replacing the trajectory and ballistics math. This is too bold for a mod, it belongs in a patch from BI. Each person has to run this mod client side. It creates a latency between pickle on the client and contact on the server. The AI doesn't have access to free angle targeting, so this creates a balance issue. The return is not equal to the investment.

I was disappointed in the lag when engaging in Mando's sample dogfighting mission. My AV-8 v. 3x SU34s, and my computer couldn't keep up. It was a mission run from the editor, too (no client-server lag)! Some lag issues evident elsewhere based around his in-air use The ground stuff is cool, Tor and sea launch. I still never managed to get any bombs on the carrier deck in another sample mission, but I still like the way ECM, flares, and the incoming-missile compass work.

The forum topic notes that documentation is lacking given Mando's work to get the addon released. Many of the editor-missions have descriptions of how each weapon works. I had some trouble with CCIP, laser targeting, and the default keys.

I was otherwise mightily impressed. It really makes Arma2 flying its own class, and prevents anyone who could fly in BF2 from taking off and laying waste too easily.

Partially unrelated, Mando has a test mission for the F16 and B52 addons. It was my first time to drop munitions from a b52 in game. Wow-a couple of these things on a coordinated run would be grand.

I'm still playing with the Mando editor-missions, and I'll keep an eye out for user missions using the addon.

I stopped playing arma I domination when a missile script was added to a command vehicle. But you have to admire all the work that guy does.

I wouldn't dare put one of those Tor launchers in domination, but the updated air combat elements are great (albeit a bit hefty to run even in the editor). If they ran smoothly, I'd want to see them implemented in all air vehicles.

Otherwise, the Mando ground and sea launchers would contribute to some fantastic TvT battles.

Actually, two parts I would like in dom are the modified javelin and hummer TOW launchers. The Mando javelin now has a direct-hi mode, in addition to it's default hi-direct, which can help players use the weapon when the overhead is not suitable, like under a forest canopy. It is otherwise unchanged.

The Mando hummer TOW, although I'm still trying to figure it out, could help the efficacy of that asset in dom. The hummers are underutilized, and I don't think Mando TOW would hurt the balance, especially with larger AOs from Kal.

I've found one possible source for the lag I mentioned in an earleir post. I was running the CBA addon in the thoughts MMA might need it, but another poster at the BI forums said he had a much smoother experience with CBA off than on.

I'll try it again tonight.

Just looking for some side mission content to go destroy a middle.

Good tactic, because if you destroy the front and back, you'll still have a middle. Destroy the middle, and you probably get the front and back as well. Then again, if you destroy the front and back, the middle won't be in very good shape, either.

:P

If an object doesn't exist, could you add a missile object to the client's download when they access the map?

I tried your comment on Mandolo, since I wasn't sure what you meant by pickle/contact or free angle targeting and he replied thus:

But MMA is not a client/server mode alone, but a client/client - client/server - server/client, exacly like ArmA2 is. So, in MMA locality works exactly like in ArmA and the very same happens with any latency issue.

With MMA you define the arc where each system attached to the AI can scan for targets, you can define defense sectors, or just 360 degree. Check scan arcs here.

Does his link on scan arcs help?

Good tactic, because if you destroy the front and back, you'll still have a middle. Destroy the middle, and you probably get the front and back as well. Then again, if you destroy the front and back, the middle won't be in very good shape, either.

:P

If an object doesn't exist, could you add a missile object to the client's download when they access the map?

LOL..... Apparently typing on the iPhone can have some auto-correct disadvantages..

i Just ran the MMA the last mission had alot of lagg omg..everything else looks great once you figure it out

Did you run any other addons? I tried again last night w/o CBA, and it ran much better.

I'm still not sure how CCIP works. I get the line in the HUD is your vertical, and the diamond at the end of the line is the calculated hit location for the bombs. Isn't there some way to activate an auto-drop for bombs via lining that diamond up with a marked ground target?

If you run this add-on does that make you incompatible with "un-modded" versions?

Add on's are added to your command line or shortcut when you launch Arma. Many people will create multiple shortcuts based on what kind of server they are joining. Our main public server will not have this on it so if you tried to add that to your command line and connect you would get disconnected.

YA LOL I Ran it in the RTE Editor and i have every Known mod in that Editor Extract all your MODS to

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@RTEditor\Addons and there u go everything you can use for the

Editor its a good way to test your mods with out screwing up the Main game..if you have any questions post and i will

do my best to help out!!!

Add on's are added to your command line or shortcut when you launch Arma. Many people will create multiple shortcuts based on what kind of server they are joining. Our main public server will not have this on it so if you tried to add that to your command line and connect you would get disconnected.

I'm concerned that MMA is now superbly limited in its use with other addons, since many others need the CBA addon to work properly.

I just saw that Mando will release the addon as a script suite when beta is complete. Maybe that'll help it play nice?

Hm, a working CCIP...I wonder how hard it'd be to implement CCRP for A-10s?

Ah well, I'll just keep playing Lock On.

I tried to find a little on CCRP, could you explain? I understood CCIP from the old F/A-18 hornet computer game, and just the other day I (re)learned that it means 'Continuously Calculated Impact Point.' What about CCRP?

As for Mando missile, It's running much better for me now. The most challenging of his demo missions is the Utes frigate attack. It involves you and 5 AI jets, two enemy sea-AA launchers, and a carrier deck crying for a bomb in ccip. I haven't made it yet.