Spartans Home

Beta test of Strongharms Air Dom

Zeno~SPARTA~

Quick overview:

You're a marine pilot based at NAS Vybor. You've just woken to alarms and an announcement that a wing of 21 SU-34s are inbound. There are only three F35s on CAP right now. As you run onto the field you see troops running in a panic for static AA and bunkers. There are plenty of aircraft on the field for you to choose from, but can you even get off the ground?

The initial base attack looks killer in the dark (4am works) but will bog the best system down.

This is an instant gratification aviation version of SpartaDom2a. For those who want to pound an AO with bombs, guns, rockets, arty, or a MOAB, you'll be well pleased here.

Features:

-AOs and side missions to clear just like in regular Domi

-All vehicles respawn after 15 seconds, no wreck chopper necessary

-Several fixed and rotor wing aircraft waiting to be flown, including KA52s (B52 and F16 variant available but in work)

-No timer for attack vehicles

-21 SU34 attack base

-ZU and AA Launchers setup on base

-Attack drone and UAV station available and respawnable

-Highly skilled AI on base ready to shoot anyone who TKs

-12 Highly skillled pilots (90%) roam the map in SU34s, 2min respawn after splashed

-3 SUs spawn on every AO for backup when spotted by enemy

-More jet service pads

-MLRS (15,000m range) setup outside of map near MHQ2 with its own vehicle service pad for instant reload

-No timer on dropping BLU82 from C-130

I've altered what MH6 has already done with Xeno's Domination, so this is just an aviation variation of his hard work... I take no credit. If anyone has any questions or suggestions feel free to contribute and I'll do what I can.

I have moved Air Dom to its own server, its still the Beta but you should check it out its a hoot, especially the wild beginning.

There is no password so just jump in and fly and bomb the **** out of the AOs , test your skill against the AI Su 34 pilots.

Are YOU good enough.

I took a lookaround last night for about 5min, and it looked like an air museum was put up on the main base, lol. Very cool looking. I only have two suggestions...

1. I'd move the attack helos a little further apart, like the group of hueys and cobras. I can see lots of crashing

2. I'd also exchange the lift choppers and make them wreck choppers, as I figure they'll be more wrecks than vehicles that have to be lifted.

Other than that, looks like a great stress-releaser so far!

Everyone please read the overview above, it's relevant. Take note that the date is Jan 9, 2008. This was the best full moon of the year. You can play the night mission without NVGs. (Fact: Chern is modeled after a real area in the Czech Rep. and all moon and star phases are true to RL) The initial base attack looks really sweet at night. Please try it and see what you think... #vote me admin> #missions > Sparta Air Dominance Beta2 > Params > 22:00 > start > NVGs off.... view 3k.. watch helos fly past.

#vote me admin should be

#vote admin (yourname)

Edited by StrongHarm

I got in for some explosion heavy fun, I really enjoyed it for a while and it was a nice change of pace. It was the most time I'd spent in the seat of any of the aircraft, but after some practice I started getting the hang of it. Still can not seem to figure out the targeting system, I set a joystick button to "TAB" so it should do the same thing right? wrong! I can be hitting the joy button and get no targets, then tab once and it locks on...whatever at least I can blow the stupid thing up! The beginning air battle is nuts, it was a lot of fun being an AA gunner. Overall it was an enjoyable mission although it started to get pretty chaotic once everyone left and I realized I was on the only person on TS of the 10 in the air.

I did experience more CTD's than usual, but that could be because I bumped up my view distance from the usual 3k to 5k, my frame rates were still normal though and I had no overheating hardware. I also noticed that when firing cannons after they impact I'd lose engine sounds especially in the A10. Guessing it is an over saturation of max number of sounds? Is there is a way to adjust that?

Thanks for the fun mission! It'd be more fun if we could get a few formations up and do coordinated attacks.

Edited by AlarmedBread

ooooo 2 minute respawn for enemy aircraft.... i will be unavailable to join in ground missions and would it be possible to add the f16 fighting falcon to this great variety of jet types. major fun for the pilots.

Halo, I do have the same map with F16s and B52s in it, but it's not suitable for pub. Everyone has to install the mods on their client, then put the mod@ switches in their shortcut targets. Zeno said he might like to put it on a locked server though. I think I'll work out the beta of AirDom then make a variant called AirForce Dom with F16s and B52s as well as the marine aircraft. Some bugs I'd like to work out on airdom:

-Make wrecks disappear after interval. They're causing lag and untidy runway.

-Try to fix the UAV script or just remove it from the map.

-Some people said they'd like to see more than 21 SU34s in the beginning sequence.

-Try to find out what is causing the increase of CTD if it's not just increased vehicles and AI

-Change the ammo on the MLRS

-Fix the 12 enemy CAP pilots.. no one can find them.. they may be crashing into the ground on spawn or something..

Thanks for your feedback all.

I did experience more CTD's than usual, but that could be because I bumped up my view distance from the usual 3k to 5k, my frame rates were still normal though and I had no overheating hardware. I also noticed that when firing cannons after they impact I'd lose engine sounds especially in the A10. Guessing it is an over saturation of max number of sounds? Is there is a way to adjust that?

Thanks for the fun mission! It'd be more fun if we could get a few formations up and do coordinated attacks.

Very fun map-just the right 'script to get our fix on big booms and rambo air assaults. The B52 mentioned in another thread-a nighttime bombing run with multiple bombs-that could be an epic moment in videogaming with the scenario's lighting.

Sadly, a crippling # of crashes. Not CTDs, but the 'error, send info' screen that usually locks up my machine. I haven't pinned these crashes to any specific game action. It doesn't seem to be related to addon use. I could be flying or walking, no obvious user actions correlate (shooting/bombs/graphical issues). I've heard that Strong is sorting it out though.

If you want to make an Airforce dom, go ahead we will use it on the same server, it wont be locked and we will upload the mods to the Sparta download site, is there a BiKey for the f16 and B52 mod.

i wound be so thrilled if you did that guys .

opening sequence is very tasty, I asked Strongharm to run it twice as there was so musch going on - shame my flight skills are comparable to a meercat

post-516-1256652016_thumb.jpg

No, really, the intro sequence is lots of fun. Possible to to do a cut + paste on the intro script to permit a second assault after, say 4-6 towns drop? I imagine a warning similar to the 'reinforcement/not ready to give up xyz' script that runs every so often in Dom, except it gives a warning that radar has picked up an incoming second strike. I don't know how long it takes for an SU to fly from one side of the map across, but that might be a suitable timing to insert, just enough time for aware gamers to hastily regroup and take flight for air-to-air combat.

Figured out my targeting issues, there is a targeting control "Vehicle Lock Target" that you can only edit in your user profile as far as I am aware, I couldn't find it in the in game control options. It locks onto vehicles in the general direction you're pointing, which is very useful for tank busting.

keyVehLockTargets[]={15};

Default it is set to only tab (15), to assign a button you have to set it to a control and check the number, then copy that and put it on the vehicle lock target command.

The other key I found helpful is the "Zoom / Lock" This one locks onto what is right in your crosshairs, you can lock onto individual soldiers and strafe them.

The other two Next target and reveal target I haven't found very useful, or have not figured out how to use them correctly in the air.

Figured out my targeting issues, there is a targeting control "Vehicle Lock Target" that you can only edit in your user profile as far as I am aware, I couldn't find it in the in game control options. It locks onto vehicles in the general direction you're pointing, which is very useful for tank busting.

keyVehLockTargets[]={15};

Default it is set to only tab (15), to assign a button you have to set it to a control and check the number, then copy that and put it on the vehicle lock target command.

The other key I found helpful is the "Zoom / Lock" This one locks onto what is right in your crosshairs, you can lock onto individual soldiers and strafe them.

The other two Next target and reveal target I haven't found very useful, or have not figured out how to use them correctly in the air.

Radar targeting is probably worth a sticky. I have my own questions. The other day in the Sahrani server I was lining up the huey for a medium-range rocket attack on some tanks. In doing so, I had the 'target identified' square, the 'target locked' (I thought) circle, and then this third unknown diamond appeared intersecting the lot of them (same size as the 'target identified' square, but turned 45deg). I heard someone talking about that a couple months ago, but I've never seen it nor known what it means.

By the time I was going to fire a ural had smoked me. I haven't tried to recreate those circumstances yet (with or without the ural).

All future updates will wait for MH6 Dom.

Sparta Air Domination Beta3

includes the following updates:

-Urban Patrol Script implemented for AI aircraft

-Increased skill level of all opfor pilots

-All wrecks disappear after short interval (decrease CTDs, increase FPS)

-Removed buggy UAV scripts

-31 SU34s attack the Airfield autonomously

-Each of the SU34s in the initial base attack respawn randomly for a second attack

-Three flights of three Su34s randomly patrol Charn (2min respawn) with a very high skill rating.

-opfor Patrol aircraft call other wings for backup if within 2500m

-Added HMMWV/M2s on patrol at the base (2min respawn) to lure in the enemy and kill TKers

-Moved AA around a bit

-Moved Helos around so they wouldn't be as crowded

-Added reload missiles command to MLRS action wheel, this fixes a bug and gives unlimited ammo (MLRS at MHQ2)

-Altered paths of friendlies on base

I appreciate the feedback and kind comments. I'll be working on B52 and F16 specific scripts while I run the vanilla through beta. Once AirDom is stable and complete, I'll be testing 'Sparta Airforce Domination'. If we're nice to Zeno he may put it up on a US server.

Thanks for your assistance with scripting MH6. I appreciate your time and knowledge.