Spartans Home

SPARTA Test server - feedback please

Zeno~SPARTA~

OK guys you have been playing on the test server using configs that have been modified by KalXen.

I need some feedback to determine if we should reconfigure all the servers

Thanks for your help Kal and thanks to everyone for their patience.

I played only briefly, but I did not notice a single lag-related hiccup during my time online, with one exception...

Running in the BMP to a side mission, several said over TS that they were going to hop out. When I heard them, I was moving, and when I saw their characters pop out I was still moving. Could a lag/synch issue cause their scroll menu to indicate 'Get out' even if the driver hasn't lowered speed (but the BMP looked stopped to them)? It happened both when entering and exiting the water for the side mission.

I jumped on last night and played for a bit - it seemed a bit more smooth. I personally was running into some PC issues (I think) where some things like buildings and vehicles were not appearing for me as much as I'd like.

I did jump on as admin and did the #monitor, and it appears that we averaged @ 650 meg for game memory size, and consistent outbound network traffic at 1meg, inbound traffic at 300k.

Try to tweak the configs as such:

arma.cfg

MaxSizeNonguaranteed =128; // (May help with updates on unit moves)

server1.cfg

vonCodecQuality=5;

Also - I spoke with MH6 last night - see if you can grab a copy of the server log (RPT file) and get it to him. It may show map mission errors fromt he scripts that he can help to isolate/fix. Since you reset this recently it may be small enough to transport.

I've been single shooting runners at 200M consistently, it's an improvement, ta KalXen

Ha, I hadn't even thoght to comment on that, major improvement! As the server filled or we approached the end of one domination round, AI characters would regularly glitch/lag over a small space of their travel (MI-8's jumping back and re-running their course; AI soldiers running, dissapearing, and re-running 25-50m of terrain they just ran). I don't recall seeing this once. Beyond any other lag issues, this was the most frustrating on the servers, since any long-range or radar-lock engagement was useless. It turned many moments into spray 'n pray.

Not a sign of it yesterday. Anybody else?

Ha, I hadn't even thoght to comment on that, major improvement! As the server filled or we approached the end of one domination round, AI characters would regularly glitch/lag over a small space of their travel (MI-8's jumping back and re-running their course; AI soldiers running, dissapearing, and re-running 25-50m of terrain they just ran). I don't recall seeing this once. Beyond any other lag issues, this was the most frustrating on the servers, since any long-range or radar-lock engagement was useless. It turned many moments into spray 'n pray.

Not a sign of it yesterday. Anybody else?

This was the biggest thing I noticed, it was the smoothest and best I have seen on any server, felt just like playing offline. Very nice work gentlemen!

The only small issue I noticed was one of the choppers, just before people were setting up for side mission to the light house in the BMP. Chopper two was flying without sound or rotors spinning regardless of pilot, it seemed to be only me experiencing this.

This was the biggest thing I noticed, it was the smoothest and best I have seen on any server, felt just like playing offline. Very nice work gentlemen!

The only small issue I noticed was one of the choppers, just before people were setting up for side mission to the light house in the BMP. Chopper two was flying without sound or rotors spinning regardless of pilot, it seemed to be only me experiencing this.

Does the Sahrani server have the same settings? I had only minor lag in the server, mostly in object draw-delays, but that was when I tried 10k view distance (That's real nice)

This one is a little odd, and it doesn't seem to be only the SPARTA servers doing it, but it does seem to happen the most on domination missions. I haven't found any info about it on the net yet (don't think I got the wording right) maybe someone here knows what the problem is or has seen it before?

User posted image

This happens for both myself (using nvidia 9800) and a friend (using ati 4890) At intermittent times, It is not repeatable and not consistent between players. I can see it in one spot, he will see it in others, sometimes it happens immediately when we join the server and sometimes it goes away with a re-join. Other times it will be fine and the error will pop up mid mission, to me it looks like a huge sized texture from when a vehicle blows up and burns for a while, there is not always a blown up vehicle where this texture is.