Spartans Home

BFG 8800 GTS 512 died - replacement?

TargetPractice

My 8800 GTS 512 has died after just over a year's use. BFG supposedly have a lifetime warranty but I am finding their support dept pretty much non communicative after an initial request for my card details was responded to. Anyone else had experience with BFG support?

I don't want to splash out on a replacement card given that this one should be covered by the warranty but I am also fed up of being game-less without a GFX card!

My 8800 GTS 512 has died after just over a year's use. BFG supposedly have a lifetime warranty but I am finding their support dept pretty much non communicative after an initial request for my card details was responded to. Anyone else had experience with BFG support?

I don't want to splash out on a replacement card given that this one should be covered by the warranty but I am also fed up of being game-less without a GFX card!

If you want quality customer service, buy EVGA. Other than that, all I can recommend is that you be persistent. Have you called them, or are you doing this all through e-mail?

I got my 8800 back after 2 and bit weeks from BFG apart from some miscommunication (my fault) I couldn't complain.

If you decide to replace it a 1Gb 4870 is not a shabby card for the money.

I understand North America is Lifetime and Uk/Europe is 10 years.

I have read post on Newegg that BFG has crappy Customer service and you may have to make repeted calls

and get stuck on hold for A LONG Time.

Don'y forget to blow the dust out before sending it back to them or they may try to blame you.

I have a BFG8800 GTS and If I ever send it back I may have to Microwave it for 1 second.....opps did I say that.

Email, transatlantic phone calls are not cheap!

Ah, didn't know BFG was a Euro company. Or are you based in Europe? If so, don't think you get a lifetime warranty. (As Halli mentioned)

As for the 1Gb 4870...I advise against buying a Sapphire 1Gb 4870. Maybe I just have bad luck, but that's the card I bought for my current system, and it worked for all of two days before it died. I then switched to an Nvidia 280 GTX and haven't had any problems with it.

Edited by MH6

I bought an HD4870 1Gig DDR5 - sweet as - running everything on highest quality and averaging 35+fps.

I suspect I have a slight bottleneck with my CPU and only 2 Gig of Ram but as long as its above 30fps its smooth as silk.

oh yeh - this replaced my 8800GTS 320mb which gave me only 15-20 fps on high (not highest quality).

Edited by Lightspeed

Withdrawl bad

Too right.

I have had to go back to the consoles under the TV for the first time in months. I did have some fun with Zelda Twilight Princess on the GC last night though am ashamed at how I end up looking online for the solution to some of the easiest puzzles in the game B)

BFG are showing my card as received for RMA now so hope to be sorted soon.

BTW I didn't mention in my earlier post but I finally got an RMA number by emailing a contact - marketing@bfgtech.com - who had been identified on the Overclockers forum as the goto guy for BFG problems. He sorted it in a few minutes after a week or so of frustration (including 8 mins on hold on a transatlantic phone call)

Typical, I get both cards arrive - my warranty replacement and my new card - on the same day!

I got a 9800GTX OC back from BFG and my new card is a XFX Radeon HD4770 so I need to think which is best to install. I see the BFG card needs 2 * add'l power connectors suggesting it'll be more of a wattage hog than the 4770.

Which would you go with?

Decision made for me - the GTX barely fits in the case and it requires an extra 6 pin power lead (which I have somewhere) and the existing 6 pin lead doesn't reach to where the connectors are on the GTX (I routed it around the back of the motherboard) so I have taken the easy option and put in the much smaller 4770 which I can connect up without any need to re-cable.

Am liking what I am seeing so far :-)