Spartans Home

Liquid Cooling

custard~SPARTA~

I have

ASUS P5N32-E SLI

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)

BFG 8800GTXOC (768Mb 600MHz)

MSI GeForce 8800GTX 768MB PCI-E DDR3 aria £404.14

WD Raptor 150Gb Seagate 720Gb

Zalman 600 PSU

OCZ 2GB PC2-6400 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK)

19? NEC Multisync 90GX2

Logitech G15

4 x Zalman ZM-F3 120mm fan 1 x Zalman ZM-F2 80mm fan

Zalman CNPS9700-LED Aero Flower

When I upgrade to Vista for the loveliness of crysis and DX 10 I'm gonna add

another BFG 8800GTXOC

another Raptor and go RAID

watercool both GPU CPU and NB

I'm gonna OC the cpu more, on air even with the 9700 cooler it is struggling to keep it cool enough at just below 3GHz, and I want it to be quieter than it is.

My question is Swiftech do a kit that isn't too expensive with a rad big enough for 2x 120mm fans if I OC the crap outa the cpu and with two GPU blocks and one NB block should I get another rad the same size or the bigger 3 fan unit?

For what it's worth to run water cooling ..... Personaly i would just buy a better cpu and stick with air. The clocking potential with water is only slightly better. Look for a q6800 on ebay.

Consider looking at the new nvidia cards coming soon 98xx .. 2 x 8800's would be expensive option.

With water cooling i suggest you do lots of research FIRST ... Or you wont get anywhere near the performance you might think.

I u are going to cool N. Bridge processor and gpu u need a big and expensive liquid cooling system.

The gpu put out a lot of heat and along the other stuff u a going to need a rad with with 3 cooling fans and a not too small water reservoir.

I have my E6600 oc´ed to 3,3 and heat is not an issue i use an ASUS silent square pro and its working flawless.

The only thing i would really considering is watercooling my gpu and thats it.

For what it's worth to run water cooling ..... Personaly i would just buy a better cpu and stick with air. The clocking potential with water is only slightly better. Look for a q6800 on ebay.

Consider looking at the new nvidia cards coming soon 98xx .. 2 x 8800's would be expensive option.

With water cooling i suggest you do lots of research FIRST ... Or you wont get anywhere near the performance you might think.

The main reason for the water is to reduce the volume from my fans. I've only OC my cpu a bit and the extra heat means I'm having to run the fans at 100% with another GPU in there it can only get louder on air. That will drive me nuts.

If you know any sites that discuss water cooling post em for me I'm not having much luck finding good info.

Ta

I have

ASUS P5N32-E SLI

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)

BFG 8800GTXOC (768Mb 600MHz)

MSI GeForce 8800GTX 768MB PCI-E DDR3 aria £404.14

WD Raptor 150Gb Seagate 720Gb

Zalman 600 PSU

OCZ 2GB PC2-6400 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK)

19? NEC Multisync 90GX2

Logitech G15

4 x Zalman ZM-F3 120mm fan 1 x Zalman ZM-F2 80mm fan

Zalman CNPS9700-LED Aero Flower

When I upgrade to Vista for the loveliness of crysis and DX 10 I'm gonna add

another BFG 8800GTXOC

another Raptor and go RAID

watercool both GPU CPU and NB

I'm gonna OC the cpu more, on air even with the 9700 cooler it is struggling to keep it cool enough at just below 3GHz, and I want it to be quieter than it is.

My question is Swiftech do a kit that isn't too expensive with a rad big enough for 2x 120mm fans if I OC the crap outa the cpu and with two GPU blocks and one NB block should I get another rad the same size or the bigger 3 fan unit?

what frames do you get with that set up?

I haven't even got fraps installed, this rig is such an improvement over the dinosaur I had that I don't care. If I get around to it I will post fps, but running GRAW2 everything maxed it is really smooth the gpu and ram are dawdling but the cpu runs almost 100%.

Custard, what voltage are you applying to your E6600 to get you undesirable temps and what temps are you seeing under a full load? Also what are you using to monitor your cpu temps and what case are you using?

Trying to run too many high heat out-put items on a single loop no matter how big the radiator will result in undesirable operation, in my experience a strong flow makes the biggest difference. I am running my e6400, my x1900xtx and my north bridge on a Swiftech H2O-220 Apex Ultra+. It uses high quality water blocks and a very good pump.

However I feel that my water cooling system is near the end of it's effective capabilities. This is why if I were to upgrade to an 8800gtx I feel that the best way would be to remove the vga from the loop keeping the 8800gtx on air. I have a feeling that the added heat out-put from the 8800gtx would overwhelm the system.

Also keep in mind that each item in the loop (cpu block, NB block, vga block and radiator) resualts in a slight but noticeable pressure drop.

Many of the better water cooled systems I have seen cooling either one or two 8800gtx's are running two water loops. (2 pumps, 2 resivours, 2 radiators) With the first loop on the cpu and NB and the second loop dedicated to their graphics cards.

Do your homework before you buy and if it says Swiftech or Danger Den on it chances are it is quality.

Here is the system I started with: http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-h2o-apex-ultra-plus.html

I upgraded the radiator fans to 50cfm Vantec Stealth fans which are allot quieter and support speed monitoring/controlling as well as installed more flexible tubing from Masterkleer.

My brain has more info on this topic but it would easily double if not triple the size of this post so if you are interested just ask.

Here are some pictures of my water cooling set-up in a case that is too small to install the pump and resivour inside.

Initial set-up:

User posted image

User posted image

After tubing reduction (resulted in a higher pressure and better cooling):

User posted image

A very nice dual loop set-up with 2 8800gtx's:

User posted image

Case is homemade out of wood mate I can mount anything anywhere I want

1.325V to CPU core temps for measurements

I've been on the swiftech forums and with 2 GPU I kinda think it would have to be too loops and that is out of my price range lol

Case is homemade out of wood mate I can mount anything anywhere I want

1.325V to CPU core temps for measurements

I've been on the swiftech forums and with 2 GPU I kinda think it would have to be too loops and that is out of my price range lol

With only 1.32vcore I don't see why you would need anything other than air to cool it. I found some old pictures of your homemade enclosure and I have noticed a couple things.

For starters the size of the enclosure needs more airflow, allot more. The side panel could probably use two if not four more 120mm intake fans, and as much as people like to use filters they can reduce your airflow considerably, I would go as far as to say they can cut it in half. However seeing their proximity to the floor I would think they are needed, just keep that in mind that you maybe able to find a metal screen of some sort as a good compromise.

On the front you did good by having the exhaust fans placed high, I think that the same goes here, add four more exhaust fans above the side panel up high. Typically the more fans you have the more noise there will be but with the advancements in computer fan technology incorporating ball bearings or fluid suspension the cfm output and noise levels have greatly improved.

The down side to these fans they are usually expensive.

Speaking of noise, being in a smooth sided wood enclosure you are going to have resonance. By padding the walls with sound damping material that should eliminate allot of that. However be careful in your choice of material, if you use that sound room spiked foam you run the risk of being counter productive in the airflow department. Maybe some semi-smooth mat or flat foam would be a better choice. You are just going to have to play around with different things, that how you'll learn.

Other than that I am loving the enclosure, it has allot of potential.

-AZ

I ditched the filters they like you say reduce effectivness by 50% ish.

I might get the swiftech ultra kit and a couple of chipset blocks (my MOBO has a coolpipe setup linking chipset cooling and it would be a bugger to remove just half) and leave gpu alone just to see how much difference it makes. If I mount the rad outside the box and away from the other airflow it's got to help.

If I see you on TS expect me to grab you for a chat AZ.

So I was trying to cool my rig down. It was running very hot and my three fans just simply weren't keeping up. So I thought to myself, "Self, what do we have around here that will cool this baby off a bit?" and Self replied, "How about some of this ice-cold Pepsi?" And I though to myself in my best Homer Simpson voice.... "Mmmm, Pepsi..."

I picked up the 20 oz bottle and unscrewed the cap. The carbon dioxide escaped in its ever so familiar sound whilst the caramel colored fizz gently covered my hand. I took a sip, savoring the taste of this ice cold beverage. I thought to my self, "Self, here goes." As I poured the soda over my mother board, it popped and hissed, sending sparks bounding left and right... too and fro. The ice-cold soda even sent a wafting plume of smoke from the mother board as if to say, "This MOFO MOBO is cooled down now!"

No heat, no more. I solved my heat issues, but have now gained a few more problems. First off, the machine wont even boot up now. It wont even post. I will have to open it up again and see if there might be some loose RAM or maybe the power supply has gone bad. I dont know yet. The lights only come on for a moment and then return to darkness. The evil PC spirits have wreaked havoc upon my machine but, oh yes, she will rise from the ashes and boot again.

On the good side of things, I haven't had my overheating problems since applying my new cooling treatment. I might have to try this ice-cold Pepsi trick on my other machines. Maybe even my laptop, but to be honest the laptop really isn't over heating, but then again prevention is the key, right?

Hopefully I will figure out my new booting problems before Crysis unveils its dirty, naughty little head. Maybe it will work on my new 8800 Ultra XXX. It could be worth it to cool it down a few degrees. Who knows, but we'll find out soon enough.

GLHF... always.

;)

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~