Spartans Home

Good Start

Zebb

It was nice to get some missions off the ground today despite the usual teething troubles of getting everyone squared away but I'm sure it will be a lot smoother in the future.

Once in the games though it took me a bit of time to slow down my playing speed to accommodate the usual highly accurate, well hidden enemy but it was still fun.

I look forward to getting some more soon, thanks to everyone who joined. :cheers:

The instant death from super accurate enemy is kind of a wash. I know the DireWolf is looking into tweaking the mod to accommodate a more structured approach to this style of combat. All in all, it was really fun. I think Punisher and I were working together a good bit there in the town but he was killed then I was sniped from God knows where.

The helos were fun too. Maybe we could add a couple AH-6s to the mix as well as ground vehicles and possibly make FOBs available as well.

Fun game today.

Yup, great games as usual. Got a little more feeling for the game today and learned a bunch as well. One of the most important things though is to never get in a chopper with adder. Maybe it was just me, but every time a heli went down, adder was in it. That and I am a terrible shot with the gunner, wasted 4000 rounds and didnt get a single kill.

Its fun to play a game where teamwork actual makes a substaintal difference. Bounding up the street with Medic was a ton of fun, even though I eventually got lit up from the super accurate camoflauged rifelmen. Medic and I pushed pretty far into the city with only 2 people, im just giddy to find out how effective we would be if we all worked together at the same time.

Lol, at least we had parachutes or it could have been a lot worse.. :lol:

Since there are tons of mods that fix a lot of the things bugging us yesterday I'm sure we can get those sorted and maybe next time we can choose a mission in more open ground until we have tweaked the enemies super powers ..

I will be on tonight again if anyone fancies another mission I have grabbed a few good ones for smaller teams.

At least Halli could eventually get in (thanks DireWolf) and it was good to see so many members I had never played with before, and Viiiper I will hook up with you again when your free and we can do that mission I had originally fired up the server for.. ;)

Hi All,

I'm still massivley frustrated with a continual BSOD/PC rebbot issue.

Seems to play okay when doing groun based stuff, but as soon as I get ina helo, sooer or later I get a BSOD which diplayes for a nanosecond before my PC reboots....

I have an 8800GTX which I know had problems when I played last time around. I've dloaded the latest drivers, I'm running everything on LOW, with antialaising and loads of other stuff forced off on the card and running the -maxmem=1024 command line.

I'm reaching my wits end here.

Crashes happen with the 1.08 patch and the 1.14...

... --- ... --- ... --- ... --- ... --- ... --- ... --- ... --- ... ---

I know you must have checked all the forums mate and to be honest I have no idea what the problem is except that a lot of people seem to share the same type of issues, I looked here and there are some answers that might be worth checking out, I guess you have tried the complete unistall reinstall route but no luck?

There was this:

"For those of you who have the black screen and repeating sound with the 280 or the 9800 GX2, it is more than likely an IRQ problem. If the card is sharing IRQs with the sound card or the USB controller, it would be advisable to change the IRQ. IRQs should co-exist but Vista's IRQ management seems to have some kinks as I have yet to see this happen in XP."

And some links here:

http://forum.armedassault.info/lofiversion/index.php/f4.html

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikon...gi?;act=SF;f=68

I will keep having a dig around and see what I can find out mate, and I'll see if 7 knows anything since he has been involved with this game for ages now.

Edit: Just seen this, maybe a bit extreme but see what you think..

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?t=216870

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=31266

Edited by Zebb~SPARTA~

Cheers for the info Zeb.

I'm using XP so dunno if there maybe an IRQ isue.

I found that last link this morning.

Was almost resigned to it being a BIOS issue so I've had to borrow a USB floppy from work...will try to flash the bios later...wish me luck...

Hey, I was able to get on and play a round or two today, which turned out to be awesome. I can't believe I let this game go. It's right up my alley, although it does take too long to connect and play though. That's my only gripe. But, that's why we have cod4, right!? Thanks for being patient guys who set up the server and I'll defenately be looking foward to playing again, maybe a different mission, lol.

Hey, I was able to get on and play a round or two today, which turned out to be awesome. I can't believe I let this game go. It's right up my alley, although it does take too long to connect and play though. That's my only gripe. But, that's why we have cod4, right!? Thanks for being patient guys who set up the server and I'll defenately be looking foward to playing again, maybe a different mission, lol.

Whoa... :clapping: Is this Durka Durka ? can't be, ArmA , OFP ? no way, Ok you like this but you're out on the new Operation flasdhpoint 2, OFP is the mother of ArmA & OFP2 is based on the original OFP which is where ArmA spawned from. IF you like ArmA, then all indications are OFP 2 will be the mother load.

E3 will demo Operation flashpoint 2 on Wednesday 16th July

I know your cautious, but CM have made a very big commitment to this game and say it will be like no other, being released with mission editor for coop,multiplayer & single player and map editor in one package.

I think now you know why I'm so excited about OFP2, but it was the pressure of Breeze that steered several people away from it.... well not any more.

It is one of the best ultra tactical games I've ever played.

My all time favorite feature is one shot death, none of this full clip into an enemy and he walks away or kills you, long gone are the days of GRAW I & GRAW II with it's crap dedicated server support & lack of admin tools. Those games can stay with the past and all that love it will never know real tactical battlefield gaming.

end of speech.

viii

p.s. Breeze tried to get me to map & mission make for OFP but I can't do it under pressure, but OFP2 will bring me back into mapping & mission making like no tomorrow, for Multiplayer & Coop.

It was great to get some games with all you guys tonight and once we can get a server set up and we can join direct there wont be any of these little issues that we get with Hamachi.

Some really good missions tonight, thanks guys.. :thumbsup:

Whoa... :clapping: Is this Durka Durka ? can't be, ArmA , OFP ? no way, Ok you like this but you're out on the new Operation flasdhpoint 2, OFP is the mother of ArmA & OFP2 is based on the original OFP which is where ArmA spawned from. IF you like ArmA, then all indications are OFP 2 will be the mother load.

E3 will demo Operation flashpoint 2 on Wednesday 16th July

I know your cautious, but CM have made a very big commitment to this game and say it will be like no other, being released with mission editor for coop,multiplayer & single player and map editor in one package.

I think now you know why I'm so excited about OFP2, but it was the pressure of Breeze that steered several people away from it.... well not any more.

It is one of the best ultra tactical games I've ever played.

My all time favorite feature is one shot death, none of this full clip into an enemy and he walks away or kills you, long gone are the days of GRAW I & GRAW II with it's crap dedicated server support & lack of admin tools. Those games can stay with the past and all that love it will never know real tactical battlefield gaming.

end of speech.

viii

p.s. Breeze tried to get me to map & mission make for OFP but I can't do it under pressure, but OFP2 will bring me back into mapping & mission making like no tomorrow, for Multiplayer & Coop.

I'm not totally against OFP2 at all, just very cautious and don't want to waste what little money I have for this sort of stuff. I welcome the tactical thought process put into it, and really hope that the whole group can find a game we all like so as not to keep anyone out of the loop. Some things I dislike about ARMA are: 1. The amount of time it takes to play. My wife is going to kill me when I get this game, lol. 2. The coop mode that takes forever to get into, but then again, Punisher was able to come in after the game started, so that's cool

I'd like to design a couple of missions based on real-type combat situations. Maybe one where the whole team air assaults into a location to defend a town or maybe something like Robert's Ridge where you have to take the hill. I'm going to look into it tonight if I get some free time. I'm about to be a very busy man in the coming weeks. :)

Hopefully I can still play with you guys with my advanced demo

Well, I reloaded DirectX and then the latest Nvidia drivers (175.19). I set my CPU fan speed to 100%, and then upgraded my BIOS.

Had smoe BSOD/PC retsarts when I tried running without my multiscreen manager (Ultramon), but after that seemed to run all evening even with me hosting the game.

Great fun last night getting re-aquainted with the game.

Hamachi is not ideal, so I encourage those of you taht have tried it and liked it to start searching for those cheap copies of ArmA. As far as I am aware, there is no extra security/key that requires a unique copy of Queens Gambit, so maybe you only need a copy of ArmA, so they shouold be quite cheap now. Check out those second hand game shops.....

That would be superb Durka, once we get an established group of players it would be nice to get some of the other maps such as the Afghan one and start putting some missions together, and also a few mods just to improve the sound etc.

I know you guys have all played this before but if I could remind you of a couple of points that will help get us completing missions without re spawns :

Don't engage targets at long range unless your sniping and have the kit to do it or all you will do is give away your position and get shot, on the same principle if the enemy have not seen you but you have a good shot on them make sure your buddies are not out in the open or moving up when you take the shot because they are likely to get hit by any enemy alerted that may be nearby that you can't see.

I know at the moment we are just blowing off the cobwebs but it would be nice to get back into the habit of getting setup with our teamates as soon as we are on the ground and started the mission so that one guy takes the lead of the team and everyone knows what's going on and reports in what they can see, and everything is coordinated through the team leader (which can be whoever wants to have a go each time the mission is played, some people enjoy the role, others prefer to follow, so no one should be forced to do it if they don't want to it has to be an enjoyable experience for everyone who plays) but this way there should be no firing, unless it's unavoidable such as an enemy patrol is alerted, until everyone is in position and you are ready to engage targets.

I don't want to sound like a boring old fart and teach you all to suck eggs just a little nudge to get us back into good habits after months of CoD4 because I am really enjoying the feel of Arma again, even with all its faults, and I would love to get that teamwork felling back which used to be such a large part of its appeal for me.. :party:

Edited by Zebb~SPARTA~

enjoyed playing last night ... until 1 am though which my better half didn't appreciate too much, but worth it :P

I still have and am using the key Krambo gave me more than 1 year ago (for which once more my thanks, 'cause I really dislike Hamachi).

What I dislike most about ARMA is that cover isn't really cover, enemies can see through all and all of them are superb snipers.

I'll try to be on weeknight days.

Great games, great ping (finally, 'cause in Brazil it sucked big time).

Have Queens Gambit downloaded and ready for installation if all the rest is.