Spartans Home

Evga 790i

Hey Sop. Yearh its been a while.

I saw that mobo the other day and it looks sweet. the chipset should work like adream but u already talked me into DDR3 half a year ago so i am still running my ASUS P3 Deluxe card.

My ram are running at 8-8-8-17 @1332 mhz so i have a system that are still among the fast one so no need to upgrade. Sadly ;)

Great to hear from you.

I am set for a while so I wont be upgrading anything, I have been adding ram and

hard drives, but thats all for now.

That's most of us, we built our monsters last time and their min life exp. is 2010,

this inc. Halli now with another Asus Striker Extreme user.

Get the right memory of 790i

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=293423

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=291712#

RE: eVGA 790i Ultra Guru Review - 3/20/2008 2:11:41 PM

What is so nice? A true waste of $$$$!!!!

Now on to the million dollar question: would I upgrade from 680 to 790 if I already own a 680 platform? You probably are wondering about that, right? My answer is ... no. The 680 series is already a fantastic platform. It overclocks very good as well and with memory up-to 1200 MHz you are pretty much on par with the 790 performance. Yet once you are in the market for a nice 45nm Penryn based Core 2 processor, then things might be a tad different. The price however is starting to hinder me more and more with NVIDIA's products, with each new release we see it increase significantly. The target price for this 790i Ultra SLI version will be set at 300 to 349 USD. It's a bit of a paradox though, because with a good processor overclock, you save money by not purchasing an expensive processor. This overclock is however something you can achieve with Intel's X38 just as well ... at sub 200 USD.

review

http://www.guru3d.com/article/mainboard/513/1

Ok to the true laymans aspect.

What is the bottleneck of the programs and hardware currently being ran on our systems

that would show an increase between the two mother boards?

Would we really see much difference between having a 680i vs. 790i?

Is the current ram using up the resources to the point where ddr2 vs ddr3 makes a difference?

Well DDR3 is essentially double the bandwidth, and the 790i uses PCIe 16 2.0 which is significantly faster. But when running programs like Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Dreamweaver at the same time, those differences will be apparent. Especially in Photoshop when some of my files run up in the excess of 400-500mb's, that DDR3 will definitely be beneficial.

NEW NEW NEW :lol:

That could be right, but in the real world, how many of use use Photoshop?

How many that do use it deal with 200MB + photos ? and for them how many

multi task several big appz at the same time?

The truth is not many of us, if we look for a reason to validate $350 then we

will find it if we want it, like a new car when the model from last years does

the same job but 10 MPH slower.

I for one have alot of toys and PC's are no exception but even I draw the line

somewhere. Manufacturers have to entice the consumer to the next big thing,

one year it's SLI (lol) the next it's DDR2, the following DDR3....

The point is DDR2 v DDR1 machines head to head in the real world appz for real

users did very little, the big push was the graphics GPU. Even 4GB system shows

very little gain v 2GB. I wish I could say the 7xx chipset was a giant leap, but it's

another step to next years product (DDR4).

best regards

john

viii