Spartans Home

Silly question (processor / cooler)

Small, probably obvious lately, question:

I've ordered a new processor:

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz 6MB Boxed

Now, my question is, do I need to buy an additional cooler for the processor, or does the "Boxed" mean that it's included.

If I need one, which one should I buy? I do want to have one that is SILENT ... Now, when I start up my computer, it's like a P-51 is starting up ... too damn loud.

Also, for my power supply (needs to be quiet too), do I need at least 500 Watts?

Take into consideration that I only have a X1800XL graphics card, will be using 2 harddrives (for now, 1 SATA and 1 IDE), 1 dvd-writer and a couple of USB-ports ... if it matters when choosing the power supply.

Thanks !!

no your CPU will come with a standard intel heatsink & fan (cooler) this works fine but I would recommend something like this: -

http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=277

I have the slightly older version of this and it works a dream, you can adjust the fan setting and its pretty quiet.

Also take a look here to caculate your PSU wattage. Maybe something around 600w would suit you. Unsure, check this out:-

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

if you want to go budget dont do it on a cheap PSU its just not worth it. Make sure you buy a descent 1 that will last, look out for names such as -

coolermaster,ocz,antec, tagen.

1 thing iv learnt....no question is stupid Inimigo. I asked the same when I bought my CPU.

Hope this helps and good luck with the rest of the build

Edited by Krambo~SPARTA~

as kram said by a new cooler instead of the stock that comes along with the cpu. Asus also have some good alternatives. The stock one makes more noise and Intel have had some reliability issues on the former fans.

Regarding the psu u can do with around 400w and above. By a desent qualitycos they perform as promised.

Cheers

Well as long as you buy a desent one then yes but if u buy a budget one go for 600w just in case.

All these new psu with 850w and above is only for heavy gpu´s and mainly in sli. I don´t know what cpu u use but if it isn´t a quadcore then yes.

I had my ati9800pro and amd Athlon 2600+ hooked up with a low range 350W psu.

If u intend to upgrade within a year or so to another gpu i would go for a 600W though The prize isn´t that higher and u don´t need to upgrade again.

The answer would be yes and no then :blink: