Spartans Home

I am really impressed with this Mustang

Zeno~SPARTA~

It is a nice looking car. I have just never been a Ford fan. But this GT350 does go back to being a "driver's sports car"... something worthy of preserving.

I personally could never own this car. I would use the torque and HP available... and be in jail... it is important for a man to know his limitations :yes: . I know, from previous sports cars I have owned, I have a "lead foot".

My last "muscle car" (about 16 years ago) was 300HP and I tended to use all of that far too often :D Somehow... I managed to get only warnings... 3 times.... once I got a warning for doing over 85 mph in a 50mph speed zone.

I finally decided that really I had used up any luck I was ever going to have in a car capable of going zero to 75mph in just under 9 seconds, and would run a 1/4 mile at the drag strip in the low 13's seconds.

If it is producing 500HP...I would instinctively want to use it... a very bad combo because even if you can outrun a police car, or a police helicopter, you cannot out run their radio.

If I owned something like this it would have to be for track racing only.

I watched all of that and enjoyed it and it's a car I could quite happily own. Mechanically seems very well engineered, European to use a simple analogy and the styling is a huge improvement on the previous model.

Nice job all round, I think.

hehe... interesting how chevy chose to stay completely old school with the Z28. I was hoping Chevrolet would build an updated camaro with that LS7 engine. I am guessing

doing so would make the camaro too close to the corvette. As I will explain later, Nobody within GM's car maker families are allowed to build anything that

competes with the Corvette.... including Chevrolet.

The guy is right.. really there is no substitute for displacement. I wonder what guys are pushing that engine to with mods? certainly mid 600's in HP I would think.

In all honesty, GM has one of the best muscle car builders sitting there not allowed to make them.... in Buick. They were ordered to

refrain from any more muscle cars after 1987. This is because of what Buick did to Chevrolet with their Grand National.

Buick's last muscle car (Grand National) blistered the corvette in every statistic while being almost $10k cheaper than the corvette while seating 4 adults instead of 2.

I was working for GM at the time, and had an inside view of the fight that erupted between Chevrolet and Buick in 1987.

After a huge internal corporate battle, Corporate decided the Corvette would remain GM's flagship sports car. Buick was ordered to stop building muscle cars

and focus on luxury cars only.... Yes... Corporate politics/decisions deny customers some amazing stuff unfortunately.

GM really should turn Buick loose again. Buick can be thanked for initiating the wake up call to Chevrolet to stop fucking around with the corvette and build a good one. While it did

take some time for them to get it figured out, this was the beginning of them creating a better Corvette.Today, we have a Corvette that is... what a Corvette should be... a production super car.

It is hard to say what Buick would create if given the opportunity. Having driven them through the years, I can assure you whatever they did create would be surprisingly pleasing.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

The Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 was Motor Trends 2014 Best Drivers Car, I guess the GT350 R is Fords response. Chevrolet are replacing the Camaro for the next model year (I think), so we will see how they respond (I am sure they will). There's room to be behind the Corvette ZR1 and ahead of the Ford.

yeah... they are replacing it, but I doubt it is going to be anything spectacular.

This is what is believed to be the 2017 ZL1 Camaro testing at Nurburgring.

They are pretty sure, it will be super charged, with a suspension designed more for track racing... hence the testing at nurburgring.

It appears right now, they are going to boost the HP a bit, and make it competitive against the new Mustang on the track.

Fairly predictable really.

Dont get me wrong, it is likely going to be a very fun car. But I see no major changes in this model really.

It’s hard to judge from the shots but it looks like there may be new hood-mounted heat extractor, similar to the one on the Corvette Z06 and Cadillac CTS-V. This makes sense as the supercharged 6.2-liter LT4 V-8 fitted to those cars is likely sitting in the engine bay of this prototype. The previous Camaro ZL1 had a supercharged 6.2-liter LSA V-8 good for 580 hp, so factor on this one developing more than that. We don’t think it will match the Corvette Z06’s 650 hp, but the 640 hp of the CTS-V is a possible target.

With less weight and more power, the new Camaro ZL1 should easily outmatch its predecessor. In fact, with just 455 hp on tap, the Camaro SS is already capable of 0-60 mph acceleration in 4.0 seconds and a quarter mile ET of 12.3 seconds at 116 mph, which is close to the numbers produced by the previous ZL1.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~