Spartans Home

Arma 3 Upgrade

Looks like I've got the cash to make my planned upgrade ahead of full game launch. I'm not going complete build as funds are still limited and I'm happy with my Q9550 and 8gb ram.

The intended upgrade of a gfx card and SSD are the following:

Crucial M4 256gb @ £164.99

MSI GTX660 Black Knight 2gb @ £169.99

I'm comfortable with the choice but have 2 questions regarding them.

The Crucial M4's are highly rated around here but I could save £30 opting for a Samsung. What am I really getting for my extra 30 notes?

How good are MSI gfx cards?

I've had no experience as my previous cards always been other brands. This is the cheapest on OC for this spec but another tenner would get me an EVGA or the Twin Frozr (better cooling) version of the MSI or KFA2 cards. Then it's up into £230+ for Ti versions, which I don't want to spend.

Looking to order tonight, so any input appreciated.

if it comes down to a 10,ner

go for it

ur buying into the future

better cooling

less noise maybe

whats the difference between the cards for sure ? (will it still be good in 2 years )

i've got the MSI GTX660TI PE which is (over here) the most bang you get for the buck in the mid-range.

660TI are faster thaan the standard 660 and the MSI is also overclocked (which I never notice as I never play very demanding games.... though GRAW is smooth as silk now....)

I also stuck in an SSD but dunno which brand (upgraded my old 64 gig to a 256 gig for windows/software) the rest is on normal HDD's

Categorie Videokaarten Merk MSI Product MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti Uitvoering N660Ti-2GD5/OCV1 Afbeeldingen 1354708420.jpeg Prijs en beoordeling Prijs €240,79 Aantal aanbieders 19 winkels Eerste prijsvermelding vrijdag 14 december 2012 Videochip Videochip GeForce GTX 660 Ti Chipset generatie GeForce 600 Serie Videochipfabrikant Nvidia Nominale snelheid videochip 941MHz Maximale turbo frequentie 1,02GHz Rekenkernen 1.344 Geheugen Geheugengrootte 2GB Geheugen Type (videokaarten) GDDR5 Geheugen Snelheid 6,008GHz Geheugen Bandbreedte 192 bit Edited by Forrester

the cooler doesn't do it for me (old scool)

but hell nice card BEAST (stats)

word veel over gezegd komt goe

have fun

Well, I opted for a 250gb Samsung 840 ssd and an XFX HD7870.

The gfx card came out as a comparable performer to the 660ti and was £50 cheaper.

I'm addition, I threw in a 1tb drive and an Asus Xonar sound card.

After cleaning up the content of my original drive I cloned it to the ssd, then fitted the gfx, secondary hdd & soundcard, thanks to tech support (Luggs & Zeno) on the 1tb drive.

So, was it worth it?

Not conclusive, as I only gamed for around an hour but initial results as follows (figures from fraps):

Arma3 - Avg framerate 40+ range from 23 to 67 fps

BF3 - Avg framerate 60+ range from 48 to 84 fps

These results are way beyond anything I've had previously, with BF3 at half the performance and Arma3 barely getting beyond 20fps.

Still can't fix the GRID sound issue, the card making no difference although it's definitely improved my overall sound. More work to do here.

Just need to migrate some files & programs to the 1tb drive then all done.:-D

Edited by Watchman~SPARTA~