Spartans Home

repairing water damaged tv advice anyone?

niall

most of the spartans always strike me as a very hands on instructables diy bunch when it comes to fixing something or building something which always leaves me awestruck.

my project is trying to get a tv that i got from work for nothing, as it was a returned product (basically the customer returned it just before the warranty ran out to get a newer model with the rebate.) the tv is dated by some standards but its perfect for me it's an lcd 32" sony bravia that can do 1080p, with 3 hdmi, 2 scart, 1 usb, 4.1 sound system connectors, svga connector, fibre optic and those white-yellow-red things that adapt to scarts. basically it works with everything so im unwilling to give up on it expecially as i got it for free.

i plugged it in a week ago and it ran without a problem.

here's the snag

however today i went into work to pick it up and i found it out in the yard in the pissing rain some ejite of a coworker tossed it into the recycling cage where it sat getting drenched for 12 hours.

i brought it in and put it underneath the storeroom ceiling heaters where it's a nice 15C it's bone dry now but i'm not silly enough to plug it in and blow some tiny transistors. it will be a full week before i test it. but i wanted your advice on how to ensure it has the best possible chance of survival is there anything i can do?

anyone have any experience with drying out lcd panels, green PCB's earthing, batteries? can fingerprints wreck them?

i ordered IPA alcohol but not sure exactly how to administer it when it gets here, can i just tip it over and pour it all over the circuit boards or is there a bit of effort involved?

as you can see i don't really know which way im supposed to go about it? any advice welcome.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o738/babihrse/braviapcb.jpg

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o738/babihrse/braviarear1.jpg

most of the spartans always strike me as a very hands on instructables diy bunch when it comes to fixing something or building something which always leaves me awestruck.

my project is trying to get a tv that i got from work for nothing, as it was a returned product (basically the customer returned it just before the warranty ran out to get a newer model with the rebate.) the tv is dated by some standards but its perfect for me it's an lcd 32" sony bravia that can do 1080p, with 3 hdmi, 2 scart, 1 usb, 4.1 sound system connectors, svga connector, fibre optic and those white-yellow-red things that adapt to scarts. basically it works with everything so im unwilling to give up on it expecially as i got it for free.

i plugged it in a week ago and it ran without a problem.

here's the snag

however today i went into work to pick it up and i found it out in the yard in the pissing rain some ejite of a coworker tossed it into the recycling cage where it sat getting drenched for 12 hours.

i brought it in and put it underneath the storeroom ceiling heaters where it's a nice 15C it's bone dry now but i'm not silly enough to plug it in and blow some tiny transistors. it will be a full week before i test it. but i wanted your advice on how to ensure it has the best possible chance of survival is there anything i can do?

anyone have any experience with drying out lcd panels, green PCB's earthing, batteries? can fingerprints wreck them?

i ordered IPA alcohol but not sure exactly how to administer it when it gets here, can i just tip it over and pour it all over the circuit boards or is there a bit of effort involved?

as you can see i don't really know which way im supposed to go about it? any advice welcome.

http://i1340.photobu...e/braviapcb.jpg

http://i1340.photobu...braviarear1.jpg

I would let it dry for a couple of days. It may seem bone dry but could have tiny droplets of water in places you can't see. You can try putting a desk fan facing it, or maybe the heaters--as long as the room isn't too humid, it should dry out. You probably don't need the alcohol unless you want to clean it. It may also help if you put it in a sealed air-tight container with something that absorbs water--i.e. how you put small electronic devices in bags of plain white rice for a day or two to dry them out.

Disclaimer: While I've successfully dried out electronics with the bag and rice method, I've never tried it on something as big as an LCD panel. So do so at your own risk.

Fingerprints shouldn't mess anything up, just be careful not to snap off any capacitors sticking up off the PCB.

Whether or not you can successfully resuscitate this monitor depends on the amount of water that leaked into the case, and whether or not all of it is gone when you restore power. So time is your friend. Putting it in an A/Ced room helps too, apparently, as AC units generally remove water from the air and give the room less humidity.

use the IPA with a lint free cloth, or a qtip if you eally can be bothered, dont just pour it over the boards, is there even any water marks on the boards?

this is a time you wished you saved up all those silica gel packs that come with all your products :D

if it's been a week, it's as good as it's gonna get. turn it on :)

Most of the electronics are sealed so they wont be harmed, open it up and make sure there is no visible water on the board.

If it looks dry then it should be ok to power it up. Just don't stand up against it when you do. :construction::)

It will either work or it wont.

I have not seen any products my company makes come in with water damage, but I have troubleshot and repaired plenty of faulty components.

water aint bad, it dries up pretty good. i did a call for Sheffield Wednesday after the floods a couple of years ago, their ticket office flooded and all the pcs were on the floor, i opened up each case and you could see the tide mark inside the cases a few inches above the floor, unfortunateley the power supplies were at the bottom of the case to... however each pc worked fine. definatley suprised me.

coke, coffee, rasberry smoothie are much worse (and dont come out the damn carpet either!). we had big problems with the network cabling in mcdonald's, if any of the cat cables come out of their sockets and touch the floor, the staff stick 'em back in, that's ok but the crap on the floor starts corroding the copper connectors and wrecks the cable and the cat5 box :D

you know liquid damage is something that peeps always try to cover up probably because it usually renders warantees and maintenance contracs void and things get expensive, but everyone freekin denies it. we picked up a till in a certain golf shop one time and 1/2 a cup of coffee came out from inside it. everyone denied knowledge of it until 2 hrs later and someone picks up the bill for it they said one of their customers knocked a cup over on the desk... all they had to do was tell us this before we turned up.

oopps off topic :D

give your colleague a slap while your at it niall

Edited by PANiC

oh the gloves are coming off alright panic. coke also corrodes the bristles on brushes... i dont know what coke-cola put in that stuff.

all good advice lads knew ya's wouldn't let me down. a lad is giving me a lend of his dehumidifier tomorrow. ill try the q-tip approach.

now im starting to worry about the psu because that is at the bottom, but that can be replaced right?

well its been a week and i fired it up last night. no problems after 3 hours use. this is turning out to be a good christmas.

rain cant ruin your day. so just food for tbougbt if you have something that gets wet.