Spartans Home

Need help with gfx issue

Watchman~SPARTA~

Fired up pc today and all seems good up to welcome screen, type in password then wait for desktop to appear but all I get is a black screen with the mouse pointer. I'm running a 4870 and updated to latest drivers about 10 days ago.

In safe mode I get to desktop and did the first thing I considered and uninstalled drivers, figuring they were bad, planning on going back to previous version. Rebooted pc but after password I'm back to black screen & pointer. Only way to desktop is in safe mode.

So, back in safe mode I re-install previous good drivers and reboot.

Still only get black screen & pointer. Has my card died?

Suggestions, advise gratefully received.

ok, did a system restore from two weeks ago and that got me back up and running. Not sure why but a system restore from the day before I updated drivers didn't.

At least my card's not fried! :thumbsup_anim:

GJ mate that's a relief :thumbsup_anim:

And just for future reference, if your card was fried, you'd get no video whatsoever (and the motherboard would most likely beep). The issue you were experiencing is most commonly an issue with Windows itself, which is probably why a system restore fixed it.

Glad to hear it's working again though. thumbsup_anim.gif

Didn't think it was the card, as I was getting something on the screen but didn't get why it didn't fix after I uninstalled the drivers or why the first restore had no effect, as it was 2 days before I updated the drivers.

Still it's working, that's all that matters.

Didn't think it was the card, as I was getting something on the screen but didn't get why it didn't fix after I uninstalled the drivers or why the first restore had no effect, as it was 2 days before I updated the drivers.

Still it's working, that's all that matters.

Had the same issue a month ago turned out it was a bad stick of ram. For some reason they can periodical fail.