Spartans Home

A Disabled Veteran's Thoughts on Memorial Day

MedicSN6

I hate, with unrivaled passion, when people say, "Happy Memorial Day!" Especially when said with shallow exuberance. To me, and I may be taking this a shade too far with my analogy but, it's the equivalent of someone singing Booby McFerrin's 'Don't Worry, Be Happy' at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Not only does it make the person sound like a complete moron, it's undeniably disrespectful. The real problem is that instead of everyone around them immediately returning a look of death, it mostly goes unnoticed except by the one or two who actually understand the meaning of this day of days.

Memorial day is a time to be thankful of our fallen Soldiers, Marines, Seamen, Airmen, and Coast Guardsmen who have given their lives for our country whether we agree with why they died or not. Sure, you can be happy that your friends and family are near and good times are being had, but please do not forget the reason for this most somber of memorials.

I don't have a problem with barbecues, family gatherings, baseball games, motorcycle rides (many of which are organized by veterans), but I hope that during today's holiday festivities, everyone takes some time to look around and realize that where they are and who they are with would not have been possible if the Veterans we memorialize hadn't given their lives to protect these precious and blood-earned possibilities.

It is said that a person dies twice. The first time, physically and the second, when their name is spoken aloud for the last time. If you know of a Soldier, Marine, Airmen, Seamen, or Coast Guardsman who has passed away either in the line of duty or after their service, remember and think of them often.

As this Memorial Day wains into twilight, I hope you have, at the very least, stood and watched an American flag whip through the wind, felt the Star Spangled Banner in your chest, or pledged allegiance to the very flag which these Veterans died to honor and protect. Veteran's are why we, as ungrateful and forgetting as we often are, are still here. We are forever and undeniably indebted to them.

Both of my grandfathers served. Miller H. Roberts, USN and Robert L. Kipps, USMC. Neither are with us now. I'd also like to mention Patrick "Pat" Tillman, US Army, killed by friendly fire, April 22, 2004 in Afghanistan. I ask that you share, if you will please, the name of one or two veteran's who you care about and would like to remember. Please remember them. The few who have given, without hesitation, what is most precious.

Yesterday May 27th I went with my father a MSG Retired of 37 years regular Army to the Vietnam Veterans POW/MIA

Memorial in Clarksville,Tn.

These gentelmen have not forgot and will not forget the sacrifice of those that did not return or have not been found

and strive each day to find the remains of those not accounted for in all wars, here is a list of some soldiers of whose remains

have been found this year.

?Radioman 1st Class Harry C. Scribner, U.S. Navy was lost on Aug. 22, 1943 when the TBF-1 Avenger aircraft on which he was a crewmember crashed on the island of Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides (Vanuatu). He was accounted for on May 4, 2012.

?1st Lt. Laverne A. Lallathin, 2nd Lt. Dwight D. Ekstam, 2nd Lt. Walter B. Vincent, Jr., Tech. Sgt. James A. Sisney, Cpl. Wayne R. Erickson, Cpl. John D. Yeager, and Pfc. John A. Donovan, U.S. Marine Corps, were lost on April 22, 1944 when their PBJ-1 crashed over the island of Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides (Vanuatu). They were identified on Jan. 24, 2012. They were accounted for on May 7, March 28, March 6, May 9, March 7, March 14, March 16 respectively.

?Pfc. Gerald W. Kight,U.S. Army, 82nd Division, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, was lost on Sept. 28, 1944, near Groesbeek, Netherlands. He was accounted for on April 19, 2012.

?Cpl. David L. Catlin,U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry Regiment, 31st Regimental Combat Team, was lost on Dec. 2, 1950, near the Chosin Reservoir in North Korea. He was accounted for on April 16, 2012.

?Cpl. Clyde E. Anderson, U.S. Army, Medical Company, 31st Infantry Regiment, assigned to the 31st Regimental Combat Team, was lost on Nov. 28, 1950, near Kaljon-ri, North Korea. He was accounted for on April 13, 2012.

?Capt. Virgil K. Meroney III, U.S. Air Force, was lost on March 1, 1969 when the F-4D Phantom II that he was piloting was shot down in Khammouan Province, Laos. He was accounted for on April 11, 2012.

?Col. Joseph Christiano, Col. Derrell B. Jeffords, Lt. Col. Dennis L. Eilers, Chief Master Sgt. William K. Colwell, Chief Master Sgt. Arden K. Hassenger, and Chief Master Sgt. Larry C. Thornton, U.S. Air Force, were lost on Dec. 24, 1965, when their AC-47D gunship crashed in Savannakhet Province, Laos. They were identified on March 5, 2012. They were accounted for on April 5, April 7, April 6, March 29, March 22, and April 10 respectively.

?Lt. Dennis W. Peterson,U.S. Navy, was lost on July 19, 1967 when the SH-3A Sea King helicopter that he was piloting was shot down in Ha Nam Province, Vietnam. He was accounted for on March 30, 2012.

?Pfc. Nelson E. Young, U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry Regiment, 31st Regimental Combat Team, was captured on Dec. 2, 1950 near the Chosin Reservoir in North Korea and died in late 1950 or early 1951. He was accounted for on March 30, 2012.

?Master Sgt. Elwood Green, U.S. Army, E Company, 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division was captured on Nov. 28, 1950 and died in 1951 in a POW Camp in North Korea. He was accounted for on Mar. 1, 2012.

?Sgt. 1st Class Richard L. Harris, U.S. Army, L Company, 3rd Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division was captured on Nov. 30, 1950 and died in Jan. 1951 in a POW Camp in North Korea. He was accounted for on Feb. 29, 2012.

?2nd Lt. Charles R. Moritz, U.S. Army Air Forces, of the 496th Fighter Training Group was lost on June 7, 1944 when his P-51 C Mustang crashed near Goxhill airfield, England. He was accounted for on Feb. 26, 2012.

?Staff Sgt. Ahmed K. al-Taie, U.S. Army, was lost on Oct. 23, 2006 while serving in Iraq as a translator for the U.S. military. He was accounted for on Feb. 25, 2012.

?Lt. Col. Robert M. Brown,U.S. Air Force, 6280th Combat Support Group, was lost on Nov. 7, 1972, near Quang Binh Province, North Vietnam. He was accounted for on Feb. 25, 2012 .

?Cpl. Robert I. Wax, U.S. Army, of Battery A, 555th Field Artillery Battalion, was lost on Aug. 11, 1950 near Pongam-ni, South Korea. He was accounted for on Feb. 23, 2012 .

?Cpl. James N. Larkin, U.S. Army, C Company, 1st Battalion, 38th Infantry Regiment, was captured on Feb. 11, 1951, and died in captivity in April 1951. He was accounted for on Feb. 21, 2012.

?Cpl. Henry F. Johnson, U.S. Army, L Company, 3rd Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment was captured on Nov. 25 1950, and died in captivity in 1951. He was accounted for on Feb. 15, 2012.

?Lt. William E. Swanson,U.S. Navy, carrier USS Ranger, was lost April 11, 1965, when his A-1H aircraft crashed near Khammouan Province, Laos. He was accounted for on Feb. 14, 2012.

?2nd Lt. Emil T. Wasilewski, U.S. Army Air Forces, was lost when his B-17G was shot down on Sept. 13, 1944 during a bombing mission over Merseburg, Germany. He was accounted for on Feb. 11, 2012.

?Pvt. Arthur W. Leiviska, U.S. Army, L Company, 3rd Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division, who was captured in 1951 and died in captivity on April 20, 1951 He was accounted for on Feb. 3, 2012.

?Cpl. Dick E. Osborne, U.S. Army, L Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, was lost on Nov. 2, 1950, near Unsan, North Korea. He was accounted for on Jan. 27, 2012.

?Pfc. Frank P. Jennings, U.S. Army, E Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment was lost near Jeon-Gog, South Korea on April 25, 1951. He was accounted for on Jan. 18, 2012.

?Sgt. 1st Class Edris A. Viers, U.S. Army, Battery A, 555th Field Artillery Battalion, 5th Regimental Combat Team, was lost near Pongam-ni, South Korea on Aug. 12, 1950. He was accounted for on Jan. 17, 2012.

?Cpl. William R. Sluss, U.S. Army, Service Battery, 38th Field Artillery Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division, was captured by enemy forces in late Nov. 1950, near Kunu-ri, North Korea, and died at POW Camp 5 in April 1951. He was accounted for on Jan. 17, 2012.

?Cpl. Chester J. Roper, U.S. Army, Battery A, 503rd Field Artillery Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division, was captured by enemy forces on Dec. 1, 1950 near Somindong, North Korea, and died in early 1951 in POW Camp 5 at Pyoktong. He was accounted for on Jan. 4, 2012.

the above info from : http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/accounted_for/

Quoted in the words of my Father " WELCOME HOME BROTHERS"

I agree with you 100% there, medic. Halli, I've had the chance to take men and women from JPAC (Joint Personnel Accountability Command) in Hawaii to various places in south east Asia, including Vietnam and the Philippines. They're the ones who go out and search for the wreckage and bodies of those MIA. It's always been going out, and not returning, though. I've also had the honor of carrying one Sgt John Hulling and a Sgt Thomas Fogarty out of Afghanistan. We got them to Germany, where another aircrew took over and got them home (why they didn't go with us, since we were going to the same place before them, I won't know). Its a somber feeling flying with heroes onboard. Thankfully, there were no passengers.

And then there's my dad. He passed away in March 2011, having retired a Chief Master Sergeant in the USAF (E-9) after 20 years. No matter who, it's always too early, and I'm saddened that he'll never see me married or have a grandkid to hold.

Lastly, it's an honor to serve now, continuing the duty that's been held by many over the years.

I can say without hesitation that Memorial day is my least favorite holiday. Not because I have lost friends, not because it represents all of my fallen brothers and sisters but because it has become a shopping holiday for America where everyone is out for the sales.

I may be taking it too far but for me there are certain times of year where a bit more humility and sober celebrations should be taking place and this is one of them. I find it sad that the first thing most people think of on Memorial Day is "OMG the Memorial day sales are so awesome I got this Ipod for $40" instead of thank god I can go to these sales because the Nazi's didn't conquer the world because tens of thousands of military members died to defeat them. I think it says a lot about our society and its development where we only care about a soldier, sailor, marine, airman, or coast guardsman if we have to.

I can promise you that every person who has lost a spouse, mother, father, son, daughter,or loved one is not considering the sale on Iphones on this day they are reliving the pain they felt when they were presented with a small flag on behalf of a grateful nation who only remembers their sacrifice when its convenient.I know that at least 1% of our population remembered what this holiday was for and remembered the sacrifices of our fallen with humility and respect and they are those who were fortunate to come home alive.

07 to all my fellow veterans and to those friends, brothers, and sisters who will never again celebrate a Memorial day on this earth. All gave some and some gave all.