Spartans Home

DAYZ SCREEN SHOTS

EMT~SPARTA~

My Post From Reddit:

I was the bus driver of this particular bus. I started off my route in Chernogorsk, picking up a total of 7 random strangers along the southern coast. We had just stopped in front of Berezino Hospital for supplies (one of the passengers cut his arm, and I had no first-aid kit. You know, budget cuts), when one of the passengers opened fire, killing two people. Even after driving buses for 20 years, sometimes you just can't tell who the sociopaths are. I floored the gas as soon as the shots started ringing out, but didn't get far before I hit a roadblock. Thankfully Mr. EMT was nearby and subdued the shooter. You'd figure that'd be enough action for anyone on that particular day, but it wasn't over; then came the zombies...

I, being the dutiful bus driver that I am, never left the bus, and so I decided to drive off and try to lure them away, honking the horn as I went. I had a decent sized group follow me, howling like mad as their necrotic hands scraped the back of my freshly painted bus.

Now, an Ikarus 260 is a fine machine. Its 6 cylinder, 4-stroke diesel engine is 10.35 litres of pure unbridled power. This baby puts out a whopping 220hp on a good day, and has a total seating capacity to accommodate 21 individuals--and to do so comfortably. It may be able to blaze down the open roads at 60+ km/h, but across an open field it was struggling to outpace the ravenous horde trailing my bumper. It took about two minutes of me fruitlessly trying to outrun the crazed creatures before I was struck with an epiphany. I slammed the brakes hard, threw the bus into reverse and floored the gas. I had just enough time to pick up some speed before I hit the first Zed. His body crashed into the bus and disappeared under the rear bumper, making a satisfying crunch as the bus rolled over him and tossed me about ever so slightly. His buddies followed suite, and before long I had a string of broken corpses scattered across the field in front of me.

Bus: 3, Zombies: 0

I slowly turned the bloodied behemoth around and started making my way back to the hospital.

Unfortunately, my efforts were for naught, as I returned to a scene out of a horror movie--bodies everywhere, blood pooling up around the lifeless corpses staring listlessly towards the open sky. Flies had already begun to gather around some of them and a few crows took flight, disappointed that I was disturbing their feast. I covered my mouth to suppress my gag-reflex as I turned to get back in my vehicle. My last image of the place was of the dead bodies in my rear-view mirror.

I hadn't driven but two miles, however, when my bus struck debris in the road and lost a front tire. Stranded with naught but my wits, I hung my head and slowly headed back toward Berezino--back towards death and despair--in hopes of finding a salvageable tire to repair my precious bus.

Just another day for Ron Wilson, Bus Driver.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

...picking up a total of 7 random strangers...

Strangers, eh? finger.gif

I jest. 'twas a fun night. Of course, ending it with suicide by chopper (you're welcome!), surrendering my gear to the Trolls of Topolka Dam, and falling prey to yet another sociopath's man hunt, cannot be forgotten.

Strangers, eh? finger.gif

I jest. 'twas a fun night. Of course, ending it with suicide by chopper (you're welcome!), surrendering my gear to the Trolls of Topolka Dam, and falling prey to yet another sociopath's man hunt, cannot be forgotten.

Ha, sorry. This was on Reddit so I left out your name. And that was pretty funny with the chopper, we'll have to watch the fuel quantity better next time :P

Loving the new zombie count, now it is a real challenge to control an area and get supplies. Here are some more stories from my adventures with my wingman MarcL.

Day 1

I regained consciousness near a beach, I could hear the waves. It was dark, and all I could see were the outlines of some silos in the distance. I couldn't remember how I got here, I vaguely recall someone mentioning the words "helicopter" and "crash" the few seconds I must have been conscious previously, along with the vivid image of a huge blaze. I checked the bag I found on me, containing only a couple of cans of beans, some water, flares and a pistol. Someone must have taken care of me and left me out here while I was unconscious, I was happy nothing found me during that time. I ventured forward into the dark compound ahead and started looking for supplies. I threw a flare into a building to see where I was going. While getting out, I saw the faint outline of a man pointing a gun towards me. He yelled "Friend or foe?". "Friend...I guess" I replied. I asked him what was going on, and he briefly described the epidemic and the wretched beings it had produced. He said they called them "Zeds". I knew of zombies before, but I dismissed them as fiction, the stuff of video games and graphic novels. Oh how wrong I was. I heard groans outside the compound. "That's them" He said. He picked up the flare I had laid down and walked towards them. They saw us, started chasing us intent on satisfying their need of nutritious brain. After a brutal fight, the Zeds around us were dead, I was relieved. I checked around to find the man. He had been bitten, laying unconscious on the ground, he had lost a lot of blood. I bandaged him, and managed to get him back on his feet, though he was far from ok.

We kept going, heading to a village he said he'd seen while traveling towards the beach, we would try and secure some supplies. On the way he told me he was a baker in Omaha, and was very fond of meat, he said the Zeds even destroyed his smoker! Sons of bitches... My head was still fuzzy, so when he asked me where I came from, I just replied that I must have been in a chopper crash. Eventually we reached the village, and we found a barn. He was still feeling very poorly, so he asked if I could search it for supplies or weapons. I crawled towards the barn, while a couple of Zeds walked around it. I made my way into the building, and found some drinks, a shotgun and some ammo. I grabbed them and headed for Omaha. To my good fortune, he mentioned that a man had alerted the Zeds around the barn and was fleeing away from the village while they pursued him, close call, I thought. I told him what I found and he asked for the shotgun. Apparently in my hurry to get out, I left it on the ground. I went back to get it, but it was gone. "Someone must have been here" I thought. Though I found a rifle, met up with Omaha and we traveled to the next village.

On the way to the village, Omaha kept passing out every five minutes. Almost like clockwork. Kept complaining that he only saw black and white, and his vision was blurry. At times he went totally blind, so I had to guide him through the forests. We needed to go to a hospital to find some blood for a transfusion for Omaha, but we both decided it would be better if we secured some more ammunition for the journey to the hospital. When we reached the edge of the forest we were in, I found a scrapyard with a small building I thought we should check out. We made our way there, but while we were in the scrapyard, more of the Zeds started showing up. I kept my head down while hoping Omaha was in a safe spot. The building was occupied by a Zed. I found Omaha in the scrapyard when things cooled down, told him about the building and we started making our way out. But on our way out, one of the Zeds must have smelled him, because it rushed towards him, knocking him down and started taking chunks off him. I fired a few rounds at the Zed, but to no avail. The Zed was intent on satisfying its needs. After a few more rounds in the head, the Zed dropped, but it was too late, Omaha was dead. I made my way to the nearest treeline dazed and confused trying to regain my composure. I slowly started falling asleep next to a tree...

Marc Loukas]

Day 9

For the past few days, I did not feel like writing an entry in my journal. It hasn't been long since that day I woke up and met Omaha. His death still weighs somewhat heavily on me. Amidst reanimated rotten cadavers and the mind-numbing regularity with which I have to slay what were previously people with lives and faces, any sense of morality and mental capacity needed to fill in these blank pages has escaped me among the smell of cordite and the reassuring rattle of freshly scavenged cans of food. It has been only a few days since my awakening into this altered world, but if you survive your first 2 or 3 days, you learn fast, very fast. Any tolerance of weakness is denounced as you adopt an almost mathematical approach to survival. Oddly enough, I have befriended my weapon, my hunting rifle, found in a barn not long after I met Omaha. It has served me well so far. And as a man has needs, I named her Jane. She's loud, she watches your every move from afar, and she kicks like a mule when you don't treat her right. She has served me well, she has kept me alive.

A couple of days ago, I was searching through a few villages, securing my daily supplies. Other survivors must have been through a lot of the villages as I found very few items of use, and not a lot of food. After a few hours I ended up on the coast, where I saw a small town. I walked down to the road to start sneaking my way through. The flimsy, weathered sign read "Nizhnoye". At the outskirts of town, I heard shots fired. I ran for cover behind a brick wall and poked my head out to scan the area. After the shots stopped, I made my way towards the source of the noise. I craned my head around a wall surrounding a yard and saw this odd figure. It looked like a Zed! But as I was raising my gun to shoot it, I thought "Hold on... A Zed holding a flashlight? Wearing a Husker cap and holding a gun in its other hand?!" Something wasn't right, its face looked clearly blooded and decaying and it smelled of rotten flesh, but I felt an urge to talk to it, like I try to with most intelligent beings. I faintly said "Hello?". The Zed turned around and looked at me, I froze for a second, until he replied "Well... If it ain't ol' Crash, you left me to die, I should shoot you for that!". I stepped away and raised my gun.

-"Easy now!" he exclaimed. "I was just giving you shit, there was nothing you could do, no harm no foul... I think... Anywho, I'm still alive and well aren't I? Well, sorta...".

-"I was gonna say... I mean, you look just like them, can't you smell that stench coming off you?"

-"You know, even compliments get old when you use them too often, but thanks anyway"

-"I'm just sayin', don't you notice that smell?"

-"To be honest, no, I lost my sense of smell that day at the scrapyard. I think my nose is about half way off my face already, feels pretty weird. Here, give it a poke see if it starts chippin'"

-"Uh, nope, besides, you'll need it so I can tell you apart from the not-so-intelligent man-eating cadavers"

-"Fair enough. Truth is, a few hours after I was attacked by the Zeds at the scrapyard, I woke up with this excruciating headache, covered in blood, but I couldn't feel anything, not even the skin peeling off"

-"I'm surprised you can still talk... and use a gun, let alone a flashlight"

-"Ain't I smart though?"

-"Thank goodness not all of 'em are like you"

-"If they were, at least they'd be lousy shots. When you walk like a penguin that's got one leg wedged between the blades of a combine harvester, chances are you can't shoot the broad side of a barn"

-"True"

omaha.jpg

After the exchange, we decided to group up again and head north, to procure more supplies. We started combing through villages as we travelled north. After a small scale engagement with some Zeds in one of the villages, there was a somewhat ironic image I still recall. After checking the bodies, one of them was actually an orthodox christian priest. I couldn't help pulling a smirk "Welp...Where's your god at now?".In another village we even found a couple of cars in a village called Polana. We considered getting them fixed somehow, we it would save us the trouble of having to find new boots soon. But after some time looking for parts around town, it didn’t seem to be worth it and we headed out. As it started getting dark, we realized we were running low on water. We checked the map Omaha found in a house we searched and noticed we were pretty close to a dam. We headed for it to fill our bottles. By the time we reached the damn dam, it was already dark. We started filling our bottles at the lake as quick as we could in order to get to a safe spot as quick as possible, with the epidemic and all, we both feared open areas, as bandits roamed around the area as well. But as Omaha was filling his bottles, he suddenly dropped to the ground like a rock, he looked stone dead. “That’s it, he turned for good” I thought and pulled my gun out to shoot him in the head before he got up. Something was telling me not to though. A few minutes later he woke up. I cautiously made my way towards him. “Are you ok?” I asked. “I think so” he replied. He seemed weird, almost in shock. After a while, he started being able to talk more and started saying he needed blood. Now, I didn’t know if he needed it for a transfusion, or needed to drink it, but I was sure willing to get some for him before he tried to take mine!

armapriest2.jpg

nighta.jpg

The next day, he kept asking for blood, so we decided we’d head to a town I had heard from passing survivors called Elektrozavodsk, Elektro for short. They said it had a hospital – from which we would try and grab some blood bags and other medical supplies - and the whole town still had fairly plentiful supplies as it had been totally abandoned after most of the area was already infested with the Zeds, so not a whole lot of people rushing out could disappear with everything they owned. But the other survivors also mentioned groups of bandits crawling in the area. They had learned how to live there despite the Zeds, and were either robbing other survivors or just shooting them on sight. I had learned to bravely run away from danger, and In part it was what had kept me alive. So entering a Zed infested town with Bandits in order to find blood bags for a blood-thirsty gun-and-torch-wielding cadaver was an idea which made the “Bravely run away”-o-meter hit the Sir Robin level. Nevertheless, the fear of being mauled outweighed the fear of calamity and we started making our way towards Elektro. By sunrise, we reached the coast, on the hills overlooking Elektro. Omaha spotted a power station on the outskirts of town, and since it would be a great first target relatively out of harm’s way, we went for it. I stayed on a hill overlooking the power station, keeping a lookout with Jane as Omaha made his way down there. He searched the building, and after a little while I saw him make his way out again. I had observed the place and told him the Zeds around were a safe distance away from the station so we assumed the exit would be uneventful. But as he made his way out of the south entrance, he ran into trouble in the form of a Zed hiding behind a wall. One would assume they would ignore him as one of their own, but apparently anything that can talk, and has fairly good motor skills is fair game. He fired off a few rounds but then he stopped, so I assumed he ran out of ammo. He fell to the ground trying to get away and as the Zed was about to jump on him, I managed to fire off a round. Zed dead.

arma2oa2012-05-1423-05-28-42.png

After this close encounter, we met up on the hill over the power station to collect ourselves and make our way towards the center of town. We had heard a couple of rounds fired previously, but the fire was now getting more frequent. We laid down on a hill overlooking the main road into town, and I noticed this huge pack of Zeds gathered next to a section of the hospital. On the roof I saw this man shooting them, but they kept coming, I can’t say I felt terribly sorry for him, as it provided a welcome distraction for the Zeds, assisting us in collecting Omaha’s blood. I found a good spot with a clear view of the entrance to the hospital and watched as Omaha made his way to it. Meanwhile the man kept firing at the Zeds under the building he was standing on. As I took a closer look at him, I noticed he his clothing was peculiar, and he was fairly well armed. He was wearing a bandana. I recalled from conversations with Omaha, the description of the bandits roaming around the area. “He’s one of them!” I thought. I pulled Jane up, looked through the scope and aimed for center mass, no fancy headshots or anything that would jeopardize my chances of taking him down before he saw me. The instant before I pulled the trigger, I thought “I hope I have the brains to look around me if I’m ever in his shoes”. The rifle cracked and the round echoed between the buildings, the bandit was down, and Zeds jumped on him to feed. But I immediately realized the noise would attract more of them, and it did, they slowly started trickling in at first but then more of them started coming. I hoped Omaha was on his way out. A few seconds later he came out running and started yelling “JUST RUN FOR THE HILLS! GO, GO GO!”. No questions asked, I ran for it. We looked back to a horde of Zeds chasing us. We turned around once in a while to drop a couple and kept running. Omaha tried to throw a smoke grenade to confuse them, but the pin got stuck and he was struck. I managed to get some off him, he got up, and we kept running. One by one we kept dropping them, but more of them just showed up! I managed to throw a smoke grenade, thinking it wouldn’t do much good, but our choices were limited at this point. Lo and behold, it did work! They just jumped on the smoke grenade, even more furiously jumping and screaming around it. It lasted 4 minutes. We were safe.

DllHost2012-05-1501-17-47-77.png

arma2oa2012-05-1423-50-43-45.png

-Must have been another one too... not anymore

We started traveling fast through the hills to the north. Omaha was very worried about remaining around these parts longer than we really needed to. He was fearful of more bandits showing up. Eventually we reached a relatively safe area in the woods. We slowed down as the adrenaline high wore off and started joking around about our little endeavor. I guess you have to have a laugh, even if you almost got eaten. He said he heard my rifle go off, and the Zeds go a little quiet. I told him about the bandit and he looked relieved. I must say though, even if they look the same, albeit Zeds being dumber and uglier, it is somewhat disconcerting killing someone who can actually talk. But well, better him than us. Later on, checking our maps, we realized we were close to an old castle, which looked like a good place to investigate. We cautiously came up to the ruins, we heard a couple of Zeds walking around, but they didn’t seem to be a danger. After Omaha cleared the main tower, we started looking around. The place was a goldmine! Must have been an old hideout. We found plenty of food and supplies to last us for a while. Two successful forays in one day. We were pretty damn happy about it. But we let our guard down momentarily, big mistake. We found a rabbit at one point and thought it would make a hearty meal to celebrate the day’s good fortune. I fired off a round and got it. We didn’t think much of it. But as we started packing to leave, I heard some noises behind the pine trees. A Zed suddenly charged toward us and knocked me down, Omaha took it out. As I collected myself, more kept coming, and I managed to start firing. This looked pretty bad. But a few Zeds later everything went quiet. Close call, but we were safe, and pretty proud of ourselves once more. We kept heading inland, until we reached a spot that looked good to just take a breather and camp for a while. Omaha lit the fire. The rabbit was delicious.

Edited by AlarmedBread