Spartans Home

Need a New monitor

What do you guys think about useing a 120htz 6ms lcd tv for a computer monitor? @ 120 htz the refresh rate should be fast enough right?

Main reasion is the size, i want 32" or 42" and to get a computer monitor in that size will break the bank, but not to bad in a lcd tv.

Be honest, Tell me what you think, I can get 2- 24" and hook them up side buy side, but don't like the seem in the center.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Actually you have to test it and really see how it works.

I had for 1,5 yr a 37" Westinghouse 1920*1080 and i guess the refresh rate was about 6ms. I used mostly because at that time my PC station was also my HDTV.

That 37" had a 60Htz refresh, so the 120 would be better. However I had some ghosting here and there. Actually was not a major issue. The only game where that was really annoying was FarCry 2, all of the other games were playable very well.

However, after that i decided to downsize at 27" 1920*1200 at 2ms. Main reason was not the monitor performance but the size itself.

For flight sim and racing games it was beautiful having the 37", but all of the other games, mostly shooters were putting a strain to my neck. With that big size, you really have to move your head to see all of the field of view. Furthermore although you enhance your "simulation", on FPS other players dont have to be so "real".

They just look at monitors in front of their face and can see the full field of view at once (23" up to 27"), therefore their time of reaction is higher.

Besides the fact a Big screen may seem "badass" at the first look, on the long run it really depends what do you use it for.

I am super happy now with my 27" and i would not go any larger.

Actually you have to test it and really see how it works.

I had for 1,5 yr a 37" Westinghouse 1920*1080 and i guess the refresh rate was about 6ms. I used mostly because at that time my PC station was also my HDTV.

That 37" had a 60Htz refresh, so the 120 would be better. However I had some ghosting here and there. Actually was not a major issue. The only game where that was really annoying was FarCry 2, all of the other games were playable very well.

However, after that i decided to downsize at 27" 1920*1200 at 2ms. Main reason was not the monitor performance but the size itself.

For flight sim and racing games it was beautiful having the 37", but all of the other games, mostly shooters were putting a strain to my neck. With that big size, you really have to move your head to see all of the field of view. Furthermore although you enhance your "simulation", on FPS other players dont have to be so "real".

They just look at monitors in front of their face and can see the full field of view at once (23" up to 27"), therefore their time of reaction is higher.

Besides the fact a Big screen may seem "badass" at the first look, on the long run it really depends what do you use it for.

I am super happy now with my 27" and i would not go any larger.

Agree.... and would like to add that I run duel 22" samsungs with a 2ms response time. They are wonderful. 1 screen for playing and the other for monitoring TS and computer performance.

Ok, well i still want 32" What about a plasma in 42" 600 htz Found a great deal on one. My B-day is comming up soon and need a 32" or bigger

Ok rocket sciencetests please fill me in!

I would get DUAL 24" (mine are 16:10 1920x1200, but most are 1920x1080) Running off my 580, never a problem & the beautiful thing is you can treat them as primary & secondary & if one dies you still have one running while one is in for warranty.

I stacked mine vertically. Other advantages are, more flexibility & you can still buy a TV if you need too.

old video of dual screens 2x 24".

IGNORE ME SAYING twin 19" (they are 24"'s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql9-d4IVg-k

Very nice set up viii. Mission control head quarters for sure. I just i got so used to this 32" its hard to go back smaller. It looks to me that the lcds are up to snuff now days in a single 120htz what do you think?

I was at the store today and stopped to look at a 65" lcd wow what a monitor that would be.

I remember I read once of some college dude that was selling his plasma tv because his buddy decided to pull a prank on him and leave penis on his screen. However the dude didnt see the prank for like two days and when he came back, it was permanently burnt into his plasma hahahaha

120Hz is definately the way to go!

Plasmas are nice but have had burn in issues in the past. Caution is advised.

If you want an awesome TV (without having to remortgage your house), go Plasma.

If you want an awesome monitor, go LCD/LED.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

Just saying, that i saw a good deal on one. Ile think i will go LCD they are better. Just wondered if the 120 htz is good enough as a monitor.

120Hz is fine (Most monitors are around 60Hz). In fact, with 120Hz you could render full 3D scenes at 60Hz per eye (but you'd need to buy the Nvidia 3D kit or ATI equivalent).

Response time is another issue. 6ms is OK, especially if that's black-to-white. Most monitors that advertise responses of 2-4ms refer to grey-to-grey, not black-to-white, and in fact have closer to 5-6ms or higher black-white response times. Also, the larger the monitor/TV, the higher the response times.

Cool, i will start looking around for one. I thought about the 2 24" monitors side buy side, but the bad seem will be in the way probley right over the gun sight recticle, and that won't do.

Cool, i will start looking around for one. I thought about the 2 24" monitors side buy side, but the bad seem will be in the way probley right over the gun sight recticle, and that won't do.

Then get 3 and have a triple-monitor setup. bleh.gif

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

I dont streach the game across 2 monitors... I play in one and monitor my HW and TS in the other.

Edited by Steel~Sparta~