Spartans Home

Feeling a little like George Bailey Today

I was changing all my parts out last night to put into a new case, and I was also giving everything a thorough cleaning. Well, I put everything back into the computer and all worked fine, except one drive (the most important storage one) was not seen by BIOS. I updated the bios, I changed power cords, data cords, even put it into another computer to test it out. Power just wasn't getting to it. Now I'm sick to my stomach because this drive contained all the images I've worked on for the past 1.5yrs, not to mention every family photo I've taken and school work.

The drive just wasn't spinning up.

I've got two options, either take it to a professional service and spend $500-2,000 to get it back, or try to replace either the exposed board or platters myself. My step-father's replaced platters before, even in dirty enviornments, so hopefully this will be ok. He even had someone blow smoke onto the platters to test it out.

So, I'm feeling a little like George Bailey today, losing everything and hoping on a miracle...

Nothing wrong with the 'Russian' method

If you get it to spin I did post a link to a Program that can retrieve files (especially those pics) from a drive that has been formatted somewhere on this forum

I had a drive die once and it was sent back for RMA, they scotch taped a small magnet outside the case to keep the patters from sticking. :thumbsup:

Hope you get it sorted, seems odd that it died with no signs of failure...

Yeah no signs of failure at all. I just took it off the power, cleaned it, and re-inserted it. No spinning up, even after tapping on all sides. No signs of life at all. How do the platters get stuck? Wouldn't a magnet erase data?

I've ordered an exact model and will be coming next week. I plan on exchanging the power board, which is the only circut board that's exposed. If I can't do that, I'll exchange the platters. I may try the platters first, I dunno.

So, here's an update on the progress of my recovery....

I bought a replacement HDD that I thought was the same model, but apparently there are sub-models out there. I've come to the conclusion that it's a PCB failure. (doesn't spin up, no power reaching the HDD, BIOS doesn't see it) So, I've got the numbers on the PCB and will try to order it from some Chinese company since I can't find any in the US. Here's what they said.

http://www.hddzone.com/wd-2060701590000-pcb-p-82.html

8. How do I exchange (move) the original PCB' BIOS?

You should move the BIOS from your original PCB by using hot-air gun, and then solder it on the replacement board. Some electronics repair shop can do it. Move BIOS is not difficult. You just need do it carefully.

9. What does this mean "This PCB's BIOS is integrated on the Main Controller IC. You should exchange the Main Controller IC to let the HDD be recognized" It means you should move the Main Controller IC (the biggest chip on the board) from your original PCB by using hot-air gun, and then solder it on the replacement board. Move the Main Controller IC is a complex job which need you have certain technique. Some electronics repair shop can do it. All sales of PCB boards are final due to installation issues, there is no refund or exchange policy;

10. How to exchange PCB BIOS/Main Controller IC?

1. Move the BIOS / the Main Controller IC (the biggest chip on the board) from your original PCB by using hot-air gun, and then solder it on the replacement board. Some electronics repair shop can do it.

2. Move BIOS is not difficult. You just need do it carefully.

3. Move the Main Controller IC is a complex job which need you have certain technique.

I haven't bought it yet, and am still thinking it over and trying to figure out what I can do.