Spartans Home

Evaluating an Antivirus purchase

Batwing~SPARTA~

We recently discussed about this subject a little bit on another thread.

I am curious to know your opinions. There are many Antivir out there. We are tech ppl and we tend to use what we consider the most reliable, nontheless, we use several different solutions.

I ve been using FREE AVs for long time, such as AVG, AVAST, Panda... In a few of recent Antivirus support, for friends and for myself, I found total solution using the FREE Vers. of MalwareBytes. Exceptional performances on finding and removing Viruses.

The free version is "on demand" scan, no real time protection. The retail, full tme protection costs 25 bucks.

I know a lot of ppl who used Malwarebytes succesfully to get rid of issues. They always used the Free version to get rid of problems succesfully.

Now I am thinking to buy the retail one, which being so good at "remove" crap, could be very good at "not even get the crap into the door" then.

here is a pretty good review of Malwarebytes:

http://anti-spyware-review.toptenreviews.com/malwarebytes-anti-malware-review.html

Let me know if you ever used the FREE Malwarbytes version to help you to remove viruses your AV was not able to fully remove.

The thing is, an ANTIVIRUS program is only half the solution, you need a software or hardware firewall to work with it.

The firewall along with the AV program work in conjunction to identify & block, the antivirus program identifies & deletes, the firewall blocks. Imagine a situation where you goto a site or download a piece of software containing a virus/worm/trojan. you need defences in place that ID's the malicious program & a firewall to block it from entering again.

I always look for a good combo package that works together to give virtually safe intrusion free surfing.

Also remember some intrusions are not viruses & they need to be stopped too, an unauthorized access to your PC from an address embedded in a webpage for example.

So to conclude:

A router is a hardware firewall using a NAT (network address translator)

A software firewall which can be programmed and is learning.

An Antivirus that can detect, identify & destroy or isolate (quarantine).

goodluck