Spartans Home

Blackhawk Photos

I was talking on the phone today with one of my friends who's a Blackhawk pilot, and we were trying to get his commander to let him show up at an event in October, I got out some of my old photos and thought I'd share. These were taken at the Currahee Military Weekend in Toccoa, GA. Every October soldiers who trained at Camp Toccoa just before D-Day, have a reunion. This includes "E" Company from Band of Brothers fame, which has done a great deal to help advertise the event. Their numbers are dwindling, but the crowds showing up for the weekend are getting bigger. They now have a cool period dance on Friday, and a "Fun" run on Saturday. I'll be running up Currahee for the first time this year if it kills me. Anyways, I got out these photos from 2006 of an Air Assault demonstration they did. Unfortunately, they haven't been able to get them back, but it was one of the coolest "air shows" i've seen in a long time....

Even though I heard them about 30sec before they showed up, they came out of nowhere and I wasn't prepared with my camera. They were going much faster than I anticipated, so low to the ground.

gallery_8_55_276137.jpg

gallery_8_55_262927.jpg

gallery_8_55_10562.jpg

They did an air assault, then came back around to pick them up. Why the Rangers are aiming, I have no clue. They're not going to hit anything, except tigers.

gallery_8_55_10506.jpg

gallery_8_55_11153.jpg

Then they did a few more flyby's. It was great in the fact that, since this wasn't a huge air show with a million people, it was more intimate, and the pilots had much more leeway in what they could do. It's these times when you can really see what aviators can really do.

gallery_8_55_211172.jpg