Spartans Home

***WARNING***

DaiSan

Oh well, I managed to dodge the Shift2 bullet thanks to Zeno but I'm going to return the favour with Cliffs Of Dover.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME !!!!!!!!

Maybe in six months time when it's been patched to death and might actually work, but as of now it is broken beyond all belief. I honestly feel that this one game could be a test case against game publishers and producers releasing games that are basically Unfit for Purpose.

I will list a few of the bug's I have found so far and believe me there are LOT'S more, I just haven't got that far yet.

So, on booting the game all looked well, a bit iffy on the gfx side and very little control over sound volumes etc but no problems. THEN i made the mistake of trying to map the old X52. Basically you can't select which input device to use, the game does it for you... except it doesn't.

The X52 is working in Windows7, it is working in WOP and Apache etc etc, but in COD (for the purpose of this post COD = Cliffs Of Dover) it doesn't recognise any input from the X52, neither button presses or Axis movement. I have even been in the COD config file and changed the joystick 1 to 2 then 3 etc but no joy.

This problem isn't just me, neither is it just X52's, later I will post some links to the technical forums.

Pushing on I thought I would see what the server situation was like... Oh man, was I in for a surprise... It doesn't work. Now bear with me on this.

This game REQUIRES STEAM unless you use Direct Connect (thank god they included this) but apparently (your gonna love this) and this is a quote from the developer.

3. Multiplayer. There is something in steam filters that prevents game servers from being found. This is only happening with live retail versions of the game. This apparently isn?t caused by us ? hopefully it?s just a simple oversight somewhere and the fix will be a simple flick of a switch.

So, no Joystick and no Servers, but I'm a persistent bugger if nothing else so I thought I would look at the actual game itself on SP. Now, my system isn't a monster like Viiper's or Zeno's but it happily runs ArmA II on max settings at 1920 x 1080 and Crysis2 runs fine at high settings etc. Well not only does the game LOOK shite on High settings (I could get past this for a good co-op game) but it runs like a slide show, and I mean a MAX of 15 FPS.

Again this isn't just me, the forums are FULL of people posting HUGE system specs and getting worse performance than me.

To be honest, that's as far as I've got before writing this and seeing as I've lost the money anyway I will keep my eye on it and let people know if it ever reaches a stage where it's a viable co-op game. but as of this moment I honestly advise you to save your hard earned.

1cPublishing Roadmap

1cPublishing Forum

UBI Forum

When i saw that this game was to come i was glad and excited.

Now i am glad i haven't bought it, well i have the "evaluation copy" of it and if they fix the problems with a good patch i will for sure but the game.

Thx for the valid advice.

We should open a branch on the Forum just for Game Reviewes and Advices.

One could save others experience like Dai did in this case.

I will never stress enough to not engage "HOMEFRONT", but i guess someone else already reported that too.