Spartans Home

installing arma to another drive

SkeleTele~SPARTA~

hello all it's been a while since I've seen many of you (lifes little problems) ;) and I want to join you guys again on the arma servers. I want to install arma to another drive to up free up space on my OS's drive but before I do so will I lose PMC and BAF?? and have to buy the DLC again or is there a way to change drives with losing that info??? see yall soon

Edited by SkeleTele~SPARTA~

If you make a copy of your arma folder before you uninstall, you should be able to overwrite the new installation. This way you will only need to do the basic arma 2 and OA installs without patching and adding all the mods.

Having said that it is good to do a fresh install as it gets rid of uneccesary rubbish that we accumulate, especially in Arma.

AS a suggestion on what to do, backup the mods you use or need, including the contents of the "userconfig" folder, then reinstall and patch game, but during setup point to other drive. Reinstalling makes sure all the registry keys that point to your install path correctly.

You "could" try to copy (not move) all of your ArmA directory (if not Steam) to that other drive and then re-map shortcuts and give it a try. If it doesn't work you can go on the glorious hunt through the registry and try to modify all the install paths if so inclined.

I do remember someone being successful with ArmA 1 in doing just a copy and re-pathing shortcuts and it worked fine. No word on ArmA 2.

yes of course, that goes without saying unless you know what you are doing, and I'm serious; not a tinker and know how to edit certain things under instruction, never go into the registry to make changes.

I for one work in the registry on a daily basis at work and in my job and have over time acquired knowledge of parts of the registry over time, but that's only certain parts in troubleshooting, Virus removal, when dealing with software issues from Autodesk and ESRI, etc.

As I stated above its quite troublesome at times and you shouldn't make changes you don't absolutely know for certain are right, but even if you are able to search for the right keys and make edits the edits, ask yourself one question punk "Do I feel lucky", well do ya punk?

Edited by SirSmokalot

yes of course, that goes without saying unless you know what you are doing, and I'm serious; not a tinker and know how to edit certain things under instruction, never go into the registry to make changes.

I for one work in the registry on a daily basis at work and in my job and have over time acquired knowledge of parts of the registry over time, but that's only certain parts in troubleshooting, Virus removal, when dealing with software issues from Autodesk and ESRI, etc.

As I stated above its quite troublesome at times and you shouldn't make changes you don't absolutely know for certain are right, but even if you are able to search for the right keys and make edits the edits, ask yourself one question punk "Do I feel lucky", well do ya punk?

well im not gonna do all that im just going to do fresh install thanks for the heads up

When migrating programs to another drive, I generally create a hardlink (junction) from the old directory to the new one. This makes the computer think the program still resides in it's old directory (i.e. C:\Arma 2) when in fact the data now resides on another drive entirely (i.e. E:\Arma 2). Whenever something tries to access C:\ArmA 2 from then on, it will be automatically redirected to E:\ArmA 2.

So, for instance, when I migrated my Arma install from C:\ to E:\, I did the following:

1. Copied the ArmA 2 directory to E:\
  2. Deleted the original ArmA 2 directory from C:\
  3. Opened command prompt, typed mklink /j "C:\ArmA 2" "E:\ArmA 2"
  4. Presto, ArmA now installed on different drive, without having to reinstall, and it will work perfectly (including with any future patches/DLC content!). No registry changes required.

Junctions are the greatest damn thing ever. Learn them, love them, never look back. It saves you a ton of work.

When migrating programs to another drive, I generally create a hardlink (junction) from the old directory to the new one. This makes the computer think the program still resides in it's old directory (i.e. C:\Arma 2) when in fact the data now resides on another drive entirely (i.e. E:\Arma 2). Whenever something tries to access C:\ArmA 2 from then on, it will be automatically redirected to E:\ArmA 2.

So, for instance, when I migrated my Arma install from C:\ to E:\, I did the following:

1. Copied the ArmA 2 directory to E:\
  2. Deleted the original ArmA 2 directory from C:\
  3. Opened command prompt, typed mklink /j "C:\ArmA 2" "E:\ArmA 2"
  4. Presto, ArmA now installed on different drive, without having to reinstall, and it will work perfectly (including with any future patches/DLC content!). No registry changes required.

Junctions are the greatest damn thing ever. Learn them, love them, never look back. It saves you a ton of work.

mklink? Nice, someone told me of this a year or so ago but never used it!

Nice handy tool I'll say!