Spartans Home

Restrepo

Ebden~SPARTA~

With all our war-movie talk-how'd we miss Restrepo? I just read a review in the university rag, and I'm going to see it on Remembrance Day.

Nat'l Geographic film by Junger and Hetherington (Same Junger as 'perfect storm'). From the university article "...like Hurt Locker on acid - with reality."

With all our war-movie talk-how'd we miss Restrepo? I just read a review in the university rag, and I'm going to see it on Remembrance Day.

Nat'l Geographic film by Junger and Hetherington (Same Junger as 'perfect storm'). From the university article "...like Hurt Locker on acid - with reality."

Good find, looks interesting.

• 5 months later...

Not sure if anyone's seen this on the news, but Tim Hetherington, the director of Restrepo, was recently killed while covering action in Libya. With him Chris Hondros, a photographer, was killed as well. Godspeed to both of these excellent photographers whose impact will be felt.

Here's the report.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/war-photographer-tim-hetherington-killed-libya-attack/story?id=13418813

Durka, I didn't see your post regarding Tim Hetherington, at the end when I saw he had produced the interview, it was poignent

Named world press photographer of the year four times and an Oscar nominee, Tim Hetherington was one of the most respected members of his profession.

Yet like so many of his colleagues who have placed themselves in the field of conflict in the name of photography, his relentless drive to document the impact of war cost him his life.

After the 41-year-old was killed alongside American journalist Chris Hondros in a mortar attack in a Libya, a haunting final image has emerged of Mr Hetherington on the last day of his life.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1379185/Tim-Hetherington-Last-picture-photographer-killed-Libya.html#ixzz1KBFEyQEJ

I heard earlier today about this, but only recently saw the details on Channel 4 news (UK).

I've been interested in photography for a long time, and have always been amazed at the work photo journalists do, particularly those images of ordinary events in times of conflict.

We see these images daily, and at times, give them the briefest of glances without realising or considering the lengths that photographers have to go to, or indeed the risks that they face.

The majority, and I'd argue those who produce the most memorable and striking images, do not use the images to enforce their point of view on a subject, they find images which show the subject, then they let those viewing to make their own judgement.

In most cases when it comes to war documentary, the technical aspects of taking the photo is the easiest part. Surviving, and the process of getting the images back to the editor is the hardest part.

And it's usually up to the editor to put their particular slant on each photo, although there have been quite a few AP and Reuters photo"journalists" who have deliberately manipulated their photos for one reason or another. David Bellavia, in his book House to House, has a good observation of the good and bad photojournalists he's seen, from an infantryman's perspective. That Heatherington had respect from the 173rd guys says a lot.

Also if you didn't know the most recent Medal of Honor recipient was in that movie also and the action that he took place in that resulted that that honor was in the movie if I remember correctly. It was the section where they were surrounded on the hilltop with a few dead.

Yeah, good film. Watched it a couple months ago when it was available to stream on Netflix. Idk if it still is anymore though. More personal and candid than most of the stuff that comes out of Nat Geo. Worth watching.