Spartans Home

Registering Domain Names

Hey it's been about 6yrs since I last registered a domain name, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm currently using my website and everything through Yahoo, and they're charging about $35 per year. Is that about standard?

If there is a cheaper option, is it still possible to host through yahoo and use that domain name, or do i have to register it with yahoo?

Hey it's been about 6yrs since I last registered a domain name, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm currently using my website and everything through Yahoo, and they're charging about $35 per year. Is that about standard?

If there is a cheaper option, is it still possible to host through yahoo and use that domain name, or do i have to register it with yahoo?

Domain names can be had for anywhere between $4-10 a year. Hosting, on the other hand, is usually more expensive (though I usually just stick with free web hosts that don't have ads). I'd imagine you can redirect a custom domain to point to your Yahoo site.

I agree with MH6. I own domains that are registered with one, while forwarding the WWW or HTTP portions to another host. One thing to be very aware of is Cybersqatters. They search for known active URL's and whois to see when it is up for renewal and they snag the URL before you do. So if you find a better deal, transfer to the new company and renew there so you are not risking your domain. You may be completely aware of all of this but it is important enough to be heard again.

I always considered this company very solid in case I had to figure out hosting solutions.

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Hosting;jsessionid=4F46CD7D1EDA5CC9C9A26EBE91CA00E5.TCpfix142b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static&linkOrigin=Home&linkId=weiter&linkType=btn

They have a 6 months offer now, but also the bigger package they offer is very affordable yearly.

Depending what kind of files you have on your site, a 10 GB hosting is already quite large for $3.99 a month :)

I've recently started using iPage for a project at work... very cheap and seems to be pretty good thus far. Just depends on what your website is for. Not 100% sure, but I don't believe commercial (for-profit businesses) are allowed on iPage. You'd have to look into that, though, if it applies to you.

Hosting info:

$3.50 per month ($42 a year)

1 free domain with new account

Unlimited disk space

Unlimited bandwidth

Unlimited domains

Unlimited MySQL databases

Unlimited Emails

Bunch of other stuff

But like I said, I've only been working with them for 3-4 weeks now. Haven't had any issues yet.

- JHunter