Spartans Home

New Map for Sahrani Server?

Spazo

First off, as always, I really appreciate the dedication you guys show to the small niche players who play Sahrani. We're a small (yet dedicated) fan group but recently, I think we've become itching for something new. I've stumbled across a new map called Nicosia and is looking pretty cool. I messed around with it during the beta map releases and just saw on ArmaHolic that someone accomplished my feeble attempts at making it into a Domination map.

I was wondering what the likelihood of switching the map from Sahrani into Nicosia would be (non-ace)...

Thanks in advance!

Links to the files...

The Map

The Dom File

Edited by Spazo

Oh my. My vote is for de_dust2 or ctf_2fort or El_Alamein... these are my votes. :P

Nice I made a map of El Alamein for BF2 at 2048x2048, however this area only encompasses a small percentage of what a proper island would be, take that map and multiply it by 10 at least and you get about the same size as Takistan in OA and a bit more for Sahrani.

I'm thinking of diving into the Island making bit possibly to see what that is all about since I have access to various GIS and geo data ;)

Not going to divulge too much but once the F-111 project is over with, this will be the next.

Yeah, sorry Zeno. I didn't check Armaholic b4 posting (then didn't change the post once I had).

How hard is it to remake it into a non-ACE version? It it something I can be walked through?

Not easy at all I would think. You would have to remove ALL weapons, vehicles and references to ACE specific functions which would involve trawling through thousands of lines of code.

What about copying the code from Sahrani or another non-ACE Dom map and making it work for Nicosia?

I've been trying to find the coding for Sahrani so I can play around with it but haven't been able to find it...

What about copying the code from Sahrani or another non-ACE Dom map and making it work for Nicosia?

I've been trying to find the coding for Sahrani so I can play around with it but haven't been able to find it...

Putting Dom over another map isnt too difficult. If no one else volunteers, I'll help you with this once I get my pc fixed.

Thanks for the offer Tyler. I think you came into the channel one day I was starting to mess with it. Obviously I didn't make it too far. :x

Yeah, I just need to see the file or whatnot for a working map (Sahrani) and I can probably do it.

Ok I'll take a look when I get home. Are the files needed to edit the Doms included in the files off AH? If so, which file? Mission?

I just threw Nicosia out there as a "it looked cool from the pictures" map but I think most of us were just looking for a "change of scenery".

I messaged Dark (the guy who made the ACE version of Dom2 Nicosia and he said he's currently working on a non-ACE version. He's hoping it'll be up this weekend or early next week.

• 1 month later...

Another update has happened. I would like to start playing this map again but I updated my version on my computer (as I think a couple others did) prior to the server getting updated and now we have things on our screens (like walls) that we can't see / shoot through but the AI can. Makes it significantly more difficult. ;)