Spartans Home

FacetracknoIR (Free TrackIR)

AlarmedBread

This is face tracking via webcam translated into in game head movement.

Here you can see the potential, all you do is setup your webcam and you're off!

Comparing it to TrackIR and Freetrack, it is awesome. You don't need any head gear, there is no cost. You just need a webcam and your PC. I can not recommend this program enough, follow the links and give it a go.

Core files - http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net

Face tracking API - http://www.seeingmachines.com/product/faceapi/downloads/ (requires registration)

and a thread running with its creator (V4Freind) re ARMA (amongst others) is here.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=100530&page=21

Some tips and general observations from setting it up -

First make sure you are getting 30fps on your webcam! This is very important! You must get a good frame rate for the software to track smoothly. Often you need to disable auto exposure, white balance, zoom and focus settings or the camera can 'freak out' and lose frame rates.

Make sure there is some decent lighting on your face.

When starting setup, put all the translation (zoom, lean) sliders to 0, get used to rotation (pitch, yaw, roll) first, then add in translation for 6DOF.

I noted that my ati tray tools OSD conflicts with this program, so have to turn it off before starting.

Make sure Freetrack output is enabled for arma2, and also start the face track software before you start the game.

Edited by AlarmedBread

Yeah, it is kind of a pain to mount the head gear each time you game. With this, there is no effort. Just turn it on and go. No reset buttons needed, if tracking gets messed up just wave your hand in front of your face, it reacquires your face and you are tracking again. No muss, no fuss!

• 1 year later...

I actually used this for a while last year for ARMA2,its not bad but getting a nice profile\settings can be a .....,plus there was a slight delay; maybe they have updated it and it works better now.... its definitely a pretty cool free program.

Although I didn t even try it, I think possible delay and precision on profile depends on Cam quality, not the program itself.

I had several Cams in the past and i noticed the differences between models. I use MSN to video chat with my family and on the "monitor" screen (where you see yourself) depending on Cam quality you can see the delay, the "noise" etc.

If this is an excellent program, cannot do anything better than what your Cam can do, therefore if you have a cheap Cam you will have cheap results.

Most probably you should choose Cam with very hi-Def (higher def, higher precision on profile) and top line to have best driver support. Cams like this can be easily over 80 bucks

You most certainly do not need an expensive webcam, just something that will be able to run at 30fps (very important!!). Most webcams you need to turn off auto exposure and focus to achieve this or else they will run at low FPS and lose track of your face when they self adjust. There also needs to be sufficient lighting on your face, a light on in the room above and slightly in front is what I use. I have personally used this webcam with great results -

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-LifeCam-VX-5000-Webcam-Accent/dp/B0015BYS74

There are also HD versions available, but I only use 640x480 for face track and it is great. The webcam and the face tracking API also use a bit of ram and CPU, so make sure you have a bit to spare.

If you want a cam that is a little nicer for skype and other things then I recommend this puppy.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-LifeCam-Cinema-720p-Webcam/dp/B002MCZJ78/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

On the test screen you can see the yellow outline it is tracking, move your head around and make sure it doesn't lose this or get 'jumpy' with the yellow lines moving around a lot. If it does then you need to adjust webcam settings and/ or lighting to make sure tracking is solid. Yes there is a slight delay, just like track IR or your normal joystick. A lot of people filter the face tracking and make the delay even larger so it is smoother and easier to look at one spot. As already noted finding settings you like is the hard part, mine are attached here. Once you get it dialed in though you won't touch it, just fire up the program then fire up your games.

Another important thing is webcam orientation in relation to your face. You want it as centered as possible or you will lose some authority in one axis. This is true of all head tracking software though TIR lets you adjust curves on both sides to minimize it.

If the webcam is above the center of your head it will be hard to look up, but looking down will be better.

If the webcam is below the center of your head looking up will be great, looking down will be iffy.

If the webcam is left or right the same is true, so if you are using it and suddenly notice that you can look left much better than right recenter the webcam and reset the tracking home position.

For flight sims the webcam being at or below the center of your head is the obvious choice.

[Tracking]

Smooth=30

NeutralZone=5

sensYaw=90

sensPitch=90

sensRoll=90

sensX=70

sensY=70

sensZ=70

invertYaw=false

invertPitch=true

invertRoll=false

invertX=true

invertY=false

invertZ=false

useEWMA=true

minSmooth=20

powCurve=30

maxSmooth=50

[GameProtocol]

Selection=4

[KB_Shortcuts]

Keycode_Center=199

Shift_Center=true

Ctrl_Center=false

Alt_Center=false

Keycode_StartStop=207

Shift_StartStop=true

Ctrl_StartStop=false

Alt_StartStop=false

SetZero=true

SetEngineStop=true

Keycode_Inhibit=0

Shift_Inhibit=false

Ctrl_Inhibit=false

Alt_Inhibit=false

Inhibit_Pitch=false

Inhibit_Yaw=false

Inhibit_Roll=false

Inhibit_X=false

Inhibit_Y=false

Inhibit_Z=false

[Curves]

Yaw_point1=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0@\x1c\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Yaw_point2=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a?\xf0\0\0\0\0\0\0@6\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Yaw_point3=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@f`\0\0\0\0\0@\"\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Yaw_point4=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@f\x80\0\0\0\0\0@I\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Pitch_point1=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0@\x14\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Pitch_point2=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@3\0\0\0\0\0\0@C\x80\0\0\0\0\0)

Pitch_point3=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@c`\0\0\0\0\0@0\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Pitch_point4=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@f\x80\0\0\0\0\0@I\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Roll_point1=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0@I\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Roll_point2=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@.\0\0\0\0\0\0@I\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Roll_point3=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@>\0\0\0\0\0\0@I\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Roll_point4=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@f\x80\0\0\0\0\0@I\0\0\0\0\0\0)

X_point1=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0@$\0\0\0\0\0\0)

X_point2=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@0\0\0\0\0\0\0@6\0\0\0\0\0\0)

X_point3=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@]@\0\0\0\0\0@G\x80\0\0\0\0\0)

X_point4=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@f`\0\0\0\0\0@I\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Y_point1=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0@.\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Y_point2=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@%\0\0\0\0\0\0@9\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Y_point3=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@N\0\0\0\0\0\0@E\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Y_point4=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a@f\x80\0\0\0\0\0@I\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Z_point1=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0@.\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Z_point2=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0@1\0\0\0\0\0\0)

Z_point3=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0@@\x80\0\0\0\0\0)

Z_point4=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1a\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0@I\0\0\0\0\0\0)

[TrackerSource]

Selection=0

[FTIR]

useTIRViews=false

Edited by AlarmedBread

Although I didn t even try it, I think possible delay and precision on profile depends on Cam quality, not the program itself.

I had several Cams in the past and i noticed the differences between models. I use MSN to video chat with my family and on the "monitor" screen (where you see yourself) depending on Cam quality you can see the delay, the "noise" etc.

If this is an excellent program, cannot do anything better than what your Cam can do, therefore if you have a cheap Cam you will have cheap results.

Most probably you should choose Cam with very hi-Def (higher def, higher precision on profile) and top line to have best driver support. Cams like this can be easily over 80 bucks

If i spent more time on getting the profile to work better it would have....well...worked better im sure; dont forget that if youre going to spend 80bucks on a cam to make a free program work you might as well spend 50 bucks more and get a real trackir....