Spartans Home

Has anyone seen this? A-10 close call

EMT~SPARTA~

What was more scary after the fact is it didn't seem like they had radio contact with the bird, and if the pilot didn't know they were friendly, i'm surprised he didn't come around for another pass. Those troops were risking the pilot seeing and pinpointing them if they moved away, and risked getting shot again if they stayed. The worst position to be in during a fight.

The issue, as always Durka is one of money. Basically BT (british telecomm) have removed most of the telephone boxes now. All section leaders are armed with the mandatory 60pence, (and a charge card but they are only allowed to use that in dire circumstances). As there were no phone boxes around they would not have been able to ring anyone to tell them they were in the area.

I understand that in future they will be reverting to non-desert cammo so they can be seen more easily.

(A brief moment of wireless from afar)

Just before the camera's view dips beneath the trench, it looks like the munitions are striking perpendicular to the previous left-right run, just to the right of the forwardmost soldier. Is that right from your view? If so, how did the pilot A) turn so quickly in an A10 and B ) engage perpendicular to the previous coordinates anyway?

Edited by Ebden~SPARTA~

(A brief moment of wireless from afar)

Just before the camera's view dips beneath the trench, it looks like the munitions are striking perpendicular to the previous left-right run, just to the right of the forwardmost soldier. Is that right from your view? If so, how did the pilot A) turn so quickly in an A10 and B ) engage perpendicular to the previous coordinates anyway?

Quick? there is about 30 s interval between one and secound salvo. You can hear sound of gun firing at 0:06 and 0:35. I think you can assume safely that 2 separate passes.

Average turn time for modern fighter to do 180 is around 30 s at 350 knots. This plane cam do above 15 deg /s or faster at around 260knots. So its give about 20s to do do 180 deg turn and plenty of leftover time to find target and push trigger.

It not look for me as perpendicular, more like he done half of 8. Not so difficult with when you can mark location on the ground and just follow mark as we do playing arma. Well, mby not that easy ;-)

The a10 flys slow, subsonic and are highly manunverible. When in ground attack mode they fly a elipical pattern so that the ground fire is very hard to hitt them, and if they manage to make a hitt They are very hard to shoot down as everyone knows.

The GAU general electric miniguns hitt hard, woulden't want to be even close when one unloads.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~