Spartans Home

Apple iPhone4 - the video you never saw -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Mediocre production quality, but I found it funny (Warning: Strong Language)

90% of the iPhone fan boys only like it because they think it's "hip". They want to be in on all the latest trends, and they see the iPhone as such a trend. Like a buddy of mine, for instance. Same goes with the iMac.

I have an iPhone (3g) its ok but I wont get another one.

The battery has to be replace at the factory, thats a joke

Touch screen texting is fiddly

The GPS only works in Switzerland and I have to activate data roaming.

MY HTC is better in everyway except its screen isnt as nice, the iPhone screen is awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an old iPhone 3g... bought it for use when i was traveling for a living. AT&T's network was not the issue for me. The phone hardware was solid. The problem that i had was the OS. I had to reimage the phone once or twice a week. It was a nightmare because at the time I had only 30 hours peer week at the house so for me to spend 2 hours reloading the phone was not acceptable. Went through 3 iphones in 9 months.

Bought a Palm Pre... atleast now if the phone takes a dump I can reload everything over the air.

Sorry guys, I have so many none tech mates that have bought the iphone. And I have to say from the specs I have read and from from playing with one for several hours. I made a different choice. And I am no noob when it comes to tech. Thats my pennys worrth.

I have an iphone 3gs & i am so pleased with it, I would never be without it. I can browse the web, get emails & google maps has come in handy on more than one occasion. The only problem is the battery, it's on charge everyday & if the kids play on it, then it's on charge at least twice a day. It's the best phone/gadget I've had & it's so easy to use. :thumbsup_anim:

I have an HTC Touch pro 2.

I got it because I do prefer a hardware keyboard, at least on screens up to 3", maybe with bigger 4" screens i could be ok on software keyboard too.

I give the point to the iPhone to be the simplest and easiest interface for a smartphone. My grandma could use it quite easily.

Besides that, I never found the iPhone in general appealing. As any Apple product is locked to what Apple wants you do with it. I hate the idea of me buying a device and not being the real owner because the brand puts limit to my experience.

All on Apple has to go through iTunes or Apple store or whatever else is the brand channel.

Also, it took 3 software versions - iOS4 - to get to the point that:

1 - multitasking is quite useful

2 - copy and paste is quite useful

3 - Folders to organize that Zigallion of Apps are quite useful as well

Unfortunately all came out with bangs and flashs on a hardware phone with several design flaws, the iPhone4.

I mean, flaws on a product honeestly do not kill my interest for that product. I AM A PC :) I am totally used to flaws on Windows so I do understand something coming out not perfect and needing patches and adjustments.

WHAT IRRITATES ME is the general Apple approach that whatever they do is perfect and flawless, and you don t even have to think different.

They dismissed important flaws as connectivity, screen defects, software defects, etc. as non existing.. "taht is a user issue, use the phone differently"...

In a world based on competition, where the Customer Service and Customer Satisfaction IS what makes a business a winner or a looser, Apple is really going on the wrong direction.

I have had the HTC EVO 4G on Sprint for about 2 weeks now and I love it. Great service except at my desk at work (in a brand new hospital surrounded by leaded walls. Understandable.). I am able to use the free WiFi here at work so I can still get email, use apps, etc. without much trouble.

I read many reviews and watched many youtube videos of the EVO 4G and were impressed with all of them. The only real complaint I found was about battery life, but to be honest, just using it on the 3G Sprint in the area, it has not run dead on me despite using it with abandon. I do charge it every night through either USB or wall plug and it has subsequently last me all day. Only once in the late evening have I got the 'less than 10% remaining, connect to charging device' warning. I did so and within an hour or two it was recharged and ready to go another round.

The other complaint but completely unavoidable is the extra "Premium Data" charge of $10 because of the 4G capability. I do not have 4G yet but I am still made to pay this charge. I chalk it up to Sprint being greedy and lazy. They want to recoup the cost of the 4G installation as quickly as possible and are lazy because they do not want to invest in the logistics of figuring out who lives in a 4G area compared to those who don't. The implementation of this billing system would only be temporary because the entire network is moving to 4G and they don't want to invest any more money than necessary, so we ALL pay. I imagine that once 4G phones become common, all 4G capable phones will have this fee.

I have not really played with all of the EVO's features yet. Features like the MP3 player, video player, etc., have been layed aside for the time being because I am really trying to get used to A. a touch screen again, and B. the Android/SenseUI software. The awesome HDMI output will have to wait as well because I have yet to get a mini-HDMI cable for it. But with 720p output, it should be a real treat to watch on the big screen. I do not yet know what format the phone decodes but I am sure it is in the manual somewhere. The EVO 4G came with a pre-installed 8GB microSD card and should be sufficient to store at least one full HD movie, possibly more. I should probably invest in a 16GB or 32GB card in future, but to be honest, the provided 8GB card along with the 8Gb card I had in my Blackberry should be fine for the time being.

This is, without a doubt, a different beast compared to a Blackberry, and it is taking me a bit to get used to it enough where I am comfortable to even call or answer the phone while driving although I do when time issues are involved. I just haven't committed the common stuff to memory and muscle yet. I have found that I will need to adjust the settings of the phone to work better with my hand movements and how I physically use the phone. The phone tends to turn the screen off during a call, probably to save battery, but when I try to relight the screen to end the call, it goes to the Home screen instead of the call screen. At first I assumed that the call had been ended when the other person hung up and thought it to be a really cool feature. I was very wrong. My wife told me that the call was still very alive for another 5 minutes as I 'sang' out loud to Five Finger Death Punch and Saving Able songs on my trip home while she was laughing hysterically on the other end until she finally hung up. (She told me later that she thought a goat was dying. I am currently plotting my revenge.) It turns out that I needed to hit the Phone button once more to return to the Call screen and end it manually. Also, the phone has a gyroscope and vibration detector within, so shaking the phone or turning it during a call will make it do weird things that I have yet to figure out the meaning of. The problem with this is that either way, it makes it difficult to end the call when I'm finished.

I also find that using the device, because of its size (4.3" screen and another .25-.6" border), is difficult in a one-handed capacity. Even with my man-hands, it is difficult to hold the device, because of its size and weight, while hitting buttons across the screen. It feels like it wants to jump out of my hand. This tends to leave me rationalizing in my own head that it is a Multimedia device first, phone second, rather than what Sprint and HTC have made us all believe. The saving grace of the design though, are the capacitive buttons at the bottom. I use these constantly; the 'back' key most of all. I do think though, they could have gotten away with only two of the buttons, Home and Back. The other two, Menu and Search can all be accessed by touch screen functions that HTC has added with their SenseUI wrapper on Android 2.1 and by widgets. Just touching the program or button for a longer period of time will often bring up a context menu with common options much the same way that a right-click does in Windows.

The Search button is programmable but mine takes me directly to google. I, however, tend to use the widget that came pre-installed in the phone. It is convenient and I can begin to type immediately and then google does the search while loading the page, instead of loading to the default google page, then typing in the search, and then searching for results. The difference is a matter of about 20-30 seconds, but that is 20-30 seconds I could spend looking at pr0n or playing EVE Online so... never mind.

Don't get me wrong though. The user interface, save for the one or two issues with the calling app, is very well done and intuitive. The few simple movements used to navigate the device are easy to figure out even if you don't read the manual. Much more if you do. As a technophile and someone who is new to Android devices, I am glad I waited for the EVO 4G before jumping on the Android bandwagon. The device it self makes the learning curve worth it.

With all of the cool-factor that this phone has, everything so far is practical and useful and it seems to have been well though out, even the kickstand on the back. (Yes, it has a kickstand so you can prop it up and watch movies on your table or desk. I know, right?) Regardless of the personal idiosyncrasies I've developed, they are far less in number with the EVO 4G than with my old Blackberry which might as well be a rock compared to the EVO 4G.

All in all, I have merely scratched the surface of this great tool which I would be more inclined to call a Multimedia device with phone capabilities rather than the reverse. By the time I figure out and use all of the great features of the EVO 4G, not to mention the new apps that come out daily, Sprint's much faster 4G system should be online for my area. Once this happens, it will be like getting a brand new phone. A new phone without the learning curve.

Also, it took 3 software versions - iOS4 - to get to the point that:

1 - multitasking is quite useful

2 - copy and paste is quite useful

3 - Folders to organize that Zigallion of Apps are quite useful as well

My 3GS does all of the above with an update through itunes. The update gives all the features that you get on iphone4 without the extra cost.

I do like the 4g EVO and also the new Galaxy S a lot.

I had a chance to see them in action with a couple of friends of mine and besides the quite comfortable GUI, the new CPU and a good load of RAM make so much difference.

Unbelievable if you think, 1 Ghz CPU and 512 RAM were a standard laptop about 6 years ago !

@Kiwi:

I know, i didn t mean to say you need to get the iOS4 for those upgrades, but if I am right, they became available on the 3G/S iPhone after launched with the iOS4, I could be wrong on this tho..

Anyway, I have a few friends very happy with the iPhone, however they started enjoying it way better after jailbreaking it, which is confirming my point. Out of the box, you are into the Apple "golden jail", then if you wanna be your device owner, you need to jailbreak it :)

My mother-in-law is thinking to get a smartphone, but she is totally computer illiterate, so I am definetely going to suggest the iPhone, either 3GS or 4, if they fix the 4 issues :)

iPhone very simple and intuitive interface is so very much its strenght and I honestly admire it.