Spartans Home

Ebden - Abolut the new videocard

Hi Ebden,

I made some further search, and I have to admit that suggesting you the Nvidia 250 was a suggestion a bit is a "rush".

Don t get me worong, it is a good card and will work fine, I have proof of that, however on the actual market is not a good choice due to its price.

I just found for you this offer on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16814127494

with starting price at $129 becoming $99 after rebate this offer is a real catch. Expires 5/31.

So, what i would do If i was you, i would RMA the 250 for refund and I would buy on the spot the 5750 before the offer expires. You are gonna get your money back in about 15 business days and you really made a deal at that price.

I am suggesting this just barely related to a price matter.

The 250 is a good card, comparable somewhat to the ATI 4850, so it is a good choice.

The 5750 also is comparable somewhat to a 4850 but with DX11 and a smaller GPU allowing better consumption and cooler operations than 4850 ao 250. Theoretically support of up to 3 monitors, although I would not challenge this card to achieve great performances on that side.

Let me know if this has been somewhat helpful :)

[quote name='Batwing' date='May 26 2010, 10:28 AM' post='55159'

Let me know if this has been somewhat helpful :)

Thanks for the note, but I had already canceled the 250 and ordered MSI's 5770 Hawk within 12 hrs of the original order. Apparently I got one of the last ones, since they're currently sold out. Lots of good reviews of the card both on newegg and a few of the techy websites. As of 1436 EDT, the card was officially 1,328km from here in Dieppe, NB. That's an improvement of 1,211km from it's starting distance in Edison NJ of 2,539km. It's not half-way yet, but it's in the right country now.

Your comments were plenty good in the other thread helping me understand what I needed to consider, with Halli's extra comment about the chip architecture itself being the same in the 250 as the 8800. That was the clincher for me to cancel the order, since I did want to UP-grade with this replacement. I'm confident that the 5770 will give me all I need for at least a year or two. It better, I spent a pile more than I had originally planned.

You're still my hero, Batwing.

:bowing:

And Halli.

:darkvador:

Great !

I am glad you were able to cancel right away the first order and I am glad you got the other 5750.

Good job :)

About the 250 having the same architecture of 8800, possible, but somethnig has to be improved, because the 250 performances are better than an 8800.

I am not an Nvidia user anyway and the only reason why I have a 250 is because i got it used ( 1 month old) from a friend and I was building a cheap system and I got a price i couldn t refuse :)

On a different market i would still consider the 250 a very budget solution, but on this market, for the actual price, the 250 is out of my choices. it is working very well but i would not buy another one.

You know,

Call me "stubborn" if you like, but not being an Nvidia follower, I decided to dig a bit more about tthe GTS 250 thingy.

Once again, I got it for a very good price, but I didn t really made a search to verify where the card was coming from. It works well, it was cheap, on my side it was a good achievement :)

Now, I was digging a bit more, and what I see gives me a solid coonfirmation I WILL NOT BE an Nvidia customer.

Reason is, the 250 is not the first occasion in which nvidia just rebranded a product to put in on the market again. They did it before.

This is trying to milk your customers. If they do not have innovation, should not mask that failure just with new names.

This is ahowever an interesting review of the 250

http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforc...mb-review-test/

Of course, being an old card at the moment, it does not make that much sense to read this review, but it looks like the 250 is a clone of the 9800 GTX+.

Also, buttom line is that there are minimal innovations, like being shorter and coooler and lower power consumption, requiring a single 6-pins connector.

Well, not really that much to justify a full rebranding.

So, an old technology, applied to a new name for a new higher price. That is not good business.

Once again I am pretty happy in the last 3 years I gave my money to AMD-ATI, at least they did real innovetion on the videocard market :)

You know,

Call me "stubborn" if you like

Only if you want me to.

...the 250 is not the first occasion in which nvidia just rebranded a product to put in on the market again. They did it before.

Yes, I wondered the same before, because I went through the same thing last year choosing a new Nvidia card, stepping from a 7600 to a 9600gt (eventually a 9800 through the 9600RMA). I could have saved money and bought the 8800 at the time, because Nvidia's 9xxx are even more painfully similar to the 8xxx's. Considering that is one bit that helped guide me to ATI this time around before my original post. Still, I didn't think they'd do it twice. I had read that the 9800s were likely a one-time fix to finish off the # series and use up old equipment so they could move on to the GTS and GTX cards.

So, an old technology, applied to a new name for a new higher price. That is not good business.

Could that be ARMA:OA?

Edited by Ebden~SPARTA~

LOL.. the ARMA thing, should be different (I hope)

From the videos around it looks like there are improvement to the engine, if that is true it is a good reason to apply as "new game".

They are not reinventing the wheel, but refining some scripts and performances. Also the incompatibility with the previous game, reason why is a stand alone, lead me to think there are solid changes on the engine.

How really improved and how the script management will really work, only time can tell. Once we 'll use it and test it, we 'll see if they just masked an old stuff with a new name.

I am quite confident the software house does not really need such crap, they showed to be pretty good people IMO.