Spartans Home

Ace 2 tips

IDAN

Playing the ace server for the last few days,thought i share some impressions and tips from the mod.

BACKPACK-The idea on paper is good but in game the Interface of it is Clumsy,most of the time you struggle to keep your gear in the slots it suppose to be.

Tip -if you're playing as a part of a team in certain roll try managing without the backpack,you are still able to put another weapon or at on the back with limited ammo but it makes "life" easier.

TEAM LEADER ROLL-Is crucial when playing ace 2 ,because of weight limitation and backpack problems i mentioned before ,you always need to have an ammo box at your location.

Don't forget to take the radio in order to call a drop,You can use it as a backpack but for very limited weight.

USING VEHICLES TO CARRY WEIGHT-In the stock version we didn't use it that often,but here it's a good way to take off the load over your shoulders.

Tip-If you're playing as a part of a team make sure each player picks different backpack there are different colors and names that way each person can drop his pack in the vehicle and you can Distinguish which pack belongs to who.

AT-in the stock version we usually used javs and smaws,on ace they are not so easy to use as before.

smaws are pretty limited to 500 meters , javs are problematic on short distance and the percentage of hit dropped.

Tip-Try using the metis it's really good all you have to do is to keep the target on the sights while the missle on the way, it's not fire and forget as the jav.

Thats it for now .

Edited by IDAN~SPARTA~

Damn Idan we are going to have to agree to disagree bud cos I think the backpacks are a great idea, it has really made me think about what I carry and I have tried to work out a belt kit of less than 20Kg and a pack of 20Kg max for all the roles in a balance squad, or my idea of one anyway lol.

If I need to move in a hurry I just drop the pack.

Damn Idan we are going to have to agree to disagree bud cos I think the backpacks are a great idea, it has really made me think about what I carry and I have tried to work out a belt kit of less than 20Kg and a pack of 20Kg max for all the roles in a balance squad, or my idea of one anyway lol.

If I need to move in a hurry I just drop the pack.

I have to agree with Custard on this one. Being able to drop my non essential gear and extra ammo is great. Or else leave it in a vehicle.

I really like how this has cut down on the amount of Rambo tactics being used on the server, even in open domination, people seem to now group together...especially when armor is involved.

The SMAW has a spotting scope if you loaded the ammo for it (pistol ammo), just select it from the action (scroll wheel menu) fire the shot then reselect the smaw from the same menu

Also, I was playing around on this target practice map that someone did for Arma 2 (I can find the link again if anyone wants it) with ace, I noticed that there's STANAG mag Tracers :) (been playing around with the AT launchers)

Edited by Beta

The SMAW has a spotting scope if you loaded the ammo for it (pistol ammo), just select it from the action (scroll wheel menu) fire the shot then reselect the smaw from the same menu

Also, I was playing around on this target practice map that someone did for Arma 2 (I can find the link again if anyone wants it) with ace, I noticed that there's STANAG mag Tracers :) (been playing around with the AT launchers)

Only issue with using the SMAW spotting round is that if the round alerts the tank, it might shoot you before you are able to fire a real round.

Only issue with using the SMAW spotting round is that if the round alerts the tank, it might shoot you before you are able to fire a real round.

This seems to not be the case very often, it seems spotting rounds are designed to not alert the tank to any particular problem, however yes sometimes they do. Personally I don't carry a smaw anymore anyway, they're too heavy and in most cases won't bring down a tank in one hit. I'll carry a 136 or a metis and sometimes a Javelin. SMAW rounds weigh a lot and if you try and carry a smaw+3 rounds you're not going to be getting far before you pass out.

My standard setup is my primary weapon, a rucksack with nonessential items or extra 203's (203's can be useful now that you can set the distance adjust the sights with up and down arrow keys), an AT weapon on my back, and ammo/smoke grenades in my main inventory.

Using vehicles to store your ammo is a huge plus, especially if there's no team leader available to call in ammo drops (which should never be the case) so I'll reemphasize what IDAN has already stated there.

I've noticed a lot of people asking about all of the ACE key binds, no need for this, if you go to your map and click on ACE, there will be a key binds section with all of the key binds used by ACE, very very useful. You can switch your keybinds by finding the key_bindings.txt file in your ACE folder, which is within your userconfig folder in your main ArmA directory, also useful if you have switched your vanilla ArmA key binds in which that they interfere with the default ACE key binds. If you can't open any of the files in the ACE folder within userconfig be sure that you've set a program (I use notepad). If you can't save any of the files in the ACE folder make sure that ArmA as well as all programs relating to ArmA are not running. Also try running the program as administrator, or give yourself administrative privileges on that document.

Ebden, I found the wiki link really useful, thanks. Anyone try ther tracer rounds for the DMR - very tasty - now I can see why I am missing [i can't shoot straight] lol

Don't forget about the wind. Shift+K (or Ctrl+K), it'll bring up a directional arrow, colored to indicate velocity.

This seems to not be the case very often, it seems spotting rounds are designed to not alert the tank to any particular problem, however yes sometimes they do. Personally I don't carry a smaw anymore anyway, they're too heavy and in most cases won't bring down a tank in one hit. I'll carry a 136 or a metis and sometimes a Javelin. SMAW rounds weigh a lot and if you try and carry a smaw+3 rounds you're not going to be getting far before you pass out.

My standard setup is my primary weapon, a rucksack with nonessential items or extra 203's (203's can be useful now that you can set the distance adjust the sights with up and down arrow keys), an AT weapon on my back, and ammo/smoke grenades in my main inventory.

Using vehicles to store your ammo is a huge plus, especially if there's no team leader available to call in ammo drops (which should never be the case) so I'll reemphasize what IDAN has already stated there.

I've noticed a lot of people asking about all of the ACE key binds, no need for this, if you go to your map and click on ACE, there will be a key binds section with all of the key binds used by ACE, very very useful. You can switch your keybinds by finding the key_bindings.txt file in your ACE folder, which is within your userconfig folder in your main ArmA directory, also useful if you have switched your vanilla ArmA key binds in which that they interfere with the default ACE key binds. If you can't open any of the files in the ACE folder within userconfig be sure that you've set a program (I use notepad). If you can't save any of the files in the ACE folder make sure that ArmA as well as all programs relating to ArmA are not running. Also try running the program as administrator, or give yourself administrative privileges on that document.

I have always loved the 203...still use them...i can usually get a direct hit on infantry on the 2nd round.