Spartans Home

Recommended Mobo (next project) new for JAN 2010

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Motherboard is a monster overclockers board, high copper yield & great stability....

Expensive but highly recommended for stability & flexibility.

Release late FEB 2010

£260.99 - £270 inc VAT

$349.99

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?opti...8&Itemid=69

User posted image

- CPU: Intel Core i7 Processors (Socket LGA1366)

- Chipset: Intel X58 Express / ICH10R

- Upgraded Chipset Cooling with Waterblock & add-in PCI Heatsink for great overclocking

- Memory: 6x DDR3 DIMM 2200 / 1333 / 1066 / 800 MHz (Max. 24GB) / Tri-Channel / Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

The GA-X58A-UD7 accepts up to 24GB of DDR3 system memory (similar to UD5)

- Expasion slots: 4x PCIe 2.0 x16 Slots, 2x PCIe x1 Slots & 1x PCI Slot (Supports ATI CrossFireX & NVIDIA SLI Technology)

- Storage: 1x Floppy, 1x Ultra DMA 133/100/66, 8x SATA 3Gb/s (RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10), 2x SATA 6Gb/s (RAID 0 and 1) & 2x eSATA 3Gb/s

SATA 6Gbit is the new SATA II 3.0 speed (old SATA II 3.0Gbit new 6 Gbit)

(10x SATA + 2x eSATA)

- LAN: Dual RTL8111D Gigabit LAN (2x 10/100/1000 LAN)

- Audio: ALC889 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC

- 10x USB 2.0

- 2x USB 3.0/2.0

- 3x IEEE 1394a

- 1x PS/2 Keyboard

- 1x PS/2 Mouse

- 1x S/PDIF Out (Optical)

- 1x S/PDIF Out (Coaxial)

User posted image

i like GIGABYTE they are good motherboards im still using my S series board GA-M59SLI-S5 only thing is i keep burning up video

cards every 6 months lol i think its the cards

I have only one concern about these kind of MOBOs and is very related to the Videocard issue.

Look at the layout. They handle to put 4 PCIx 16 for potentially 4 cards, but think at the real life application.

I had this issue with my P6T Asus and i was quite pissed.

They put the PCIx 16 slots too close to each other. Nowadays "monster" cards are all dual slot, so it always ends that they stick to each other TOO CLOSE. Especially if you have 2 twin cards, the fan will be located right in the ass of the second card, not having room to ventilate and getting only hot air from the backplate of the second card.

As a result you primary card will get overheating like crazy, very incline to get fried and there is really nothing you can do about it.

It is true the MB can handle all of tha horsepower, but your videocards will not and you will have serious issues. Think what happens if you really wanna put 4 MONSTERS there. Is going to generate so much heat that there is no case able to keep it cool. Maybe some liquid solution, but then u have to go liquid for the videocards and it sounds a huge pain in the butt to me.

As a result, i would go with a way more conservative layout on a MB hosting max 2 PCIx being sure they are well spaced between themself.

A great layout was the Maximus Formula from Asus, too bad they didn t make it for the i7 socket. Great MB.

Looks good, looks like they have made some improvements. What, no asus? MSI is real good and DFI as well.

I bought a Gigabite once and it dident have any ram setting features at all, it was a older model, and for AMD. sent it back and got a MSI.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~