Spartans Home

Why I like the new Aliens vs Predator game

Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

So I went hungry during my lunch break yesterday because I had to pick up the new Aliens vs Predator game; doing so allowed me to go straight home after work, install, and begin playing, without having to waste time by stopping somewhere to purchase it on the way home.

If you've read any of the online reviews, the scores AvP has received have been so-so; not terrible by any means, but not great, either. But I could care less, because I have a very deep and personal connection to this game.

I am 40 years old, which means that I was 10 years old when the original Alien film was released. Since my parents have always been the kind of people that allowed me to do pretty much anything I wanted and then learn from my mistakes, they had no issues with me going to see the film with my aunt. Being a young fan of Godzilla movies, scary stories, and anything that had to do with "outer space", there was no way I was going to miss out on Alien.

The movie scared the living daylights out of me, and I loved every terrifying moment, so much, in fact, that I was suspended from school for two days after having a convulsion on the cafeteria floor. I had my right arm tucked away inside of my button-up shirt with a fistful of spaghetti, and when one of the teachers rushed over to see what the problem was, I shoved my arm through the button seams and threw the spaghetti all over the place, all while making gurgling/screeching noises that a typical chest-bursting alien usually makes.

The downside is that the game caused some pretty intense nightmares for me. In one particularly memorable episode, I was upstairs in my bedroom and I could hear a very loud thump-thump-thump noise coming from the basement. Upon investigation, the noise was coming from the top-loading clothes-washing machine, which was rocking back and forth as if its load was severely off-balance. When I opened up the lid, an alien jumped out at me, and the dream ended as I was rushing back upstairs, just a split-second after I felt the alien's cold, slimy hand on my shoulder.

I want this game to freak me out, at least a little bit. I want to be afraid to lean too close to the screen out of fear that one of them will jump out at me at any moment and make that awful hissing sound from my nightmares, right before those extensible teeth plunge into my head. I want to feel as if the walls are closing in on me as I stare down a dimly lit corridor, unable to see anything, while my motion-sensor beeps crazily at me, warning me that there is indeed something to be seen; something that is getting closer; something that, if I don't see it soon, will cause me to suffer a horrible death.

Of course, I could have such experiences everyday if I were to get married, but that would be expensive, divorce even more so; Aliens vs Predator is only $50.

The first time I played Resident Evil on a Playstation 1 was one of the freakiest moments in gaming. A bunch of us were at my apartment back in college, lights out, stereo loud. The sound of footsteps, the slow pace of the game intro, and jitters set a good mood. And then the first time you run into an undead they do a fast paced cut scene with this pale faced undead woman and Shhiiiaaaatt we all lost it in the room, beers flying, girls screaming. I loved it, and its been rare ever since.

Most games now focus on lifelike graphics but totally lose the ambience some of those pixelated games made.

Less jibber jabber.... :P

Where is the infamous 'Fatal_Papercut' review video ??

Bah humbug....

LOL...as soon as a patch is released that will keep the game from constantly crashing, I'll let you know. My original post was made on launch day, after having played through single-player survivor mode for a bit, as well as having played the multi-player demo the week before. Unfortunately, none of the single-player campaigns are working yet, at least for the PC version; the game either crashes while the level is being loaded, or occasionally just after it starts. I've tried several solutions, including running the game in DX9 and DX10 in both Windows and Vista. I've also reinstalled in both OSes, same results.

At least the developers are acknowledging that this is a known issue with the game across all three flavors of Windows (XP/Vista/7), so I'm hoping that means a patch will be forthcoming. Of course I'm very disappointed, I was hoping to spend some time with this game and at least finish up the Marine campaign.

P.S. I had this same problem with Bioshock 2, again on launch day. An update was available two days later, and the game ran great after that. By the way, I completed it, great game!

Unfortunately, none of the single-player campaigns are working yet, at least for the PC version; the game either crashes while the level is being loaded, or occasionally just after it starts.

how the f(*& did it get to this - the Devs are at the point of releasing games which don't even load properly.

i think its almost time to start suing these companies for releasing faulty products.

Edited by Lightspeed~SPARTA~

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem I?ve had so far is it doesn?t like two screens, with one monitor the game run fine.

Loving the single player and having a lot of fun playing at the marine reminds me of DOOM3 but when you play as the alien or the predator it changes the way you approach the game play, the alien is kill kill kill, The predator I played with Stealth and distraction to complete my goals, you still kill and in many different ways to his weapons are a lot of fun IPB Image.

The multiplayer also great fun, having three sides is a nice twist on the normal two but it?s not easy find a game, not many people playing I guess.